NameSilo

Host handing out personal information

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I posted on another forum concerning an issue with a webhost, that webhost took it upon himself to post all my DNS information onto that message board thus showing anyone and everyone how to contact me via my real name, phone numbers and address. Is this legal? Their privacy policy states " "Our clients privacy is assured. Personal information will never be shared with another party, without prior written permission, or unless required by law." "

Isn't that like a breach?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Were you even using privacy on your domains? If you weren't anyone could have looked and found out anyways.

•••
I think the point is, he posted it on a public message board like this one. It wasn't done by a common user doing a whois search.

•••
although the host is not meant to post such information on a web site, if you mentioned the domain name or if it is common knowledge what your domain name is then it will be simply argued the information was in the public domain anyway.

•••
MystedVeil said:
Their privacy policy states " "Our clients privacy is assured. Personal information will never be shared with another party, without prior written permission, or unless required by law." "

Isn't that like a breach?
Yup... breach of contract, plain and simple IMHO. Get a bunch of screenshots, then contact a lawyer.

•••
when posting about my complaint I did not include my domain information, nor my personal information. I didn't even give out his.

I have screenshotted his posting of my personal information as well as their privacy policy in case he tries to be slick and change it quickly.

•••
Sorry should have read your original post closer. You entered into a contract with this person on their terms and they broke it. That is pretty clear - what's not clear is the legal ramifications. Each country treats these kinds of things differently. if you feel you have been harmed by their actions then you should seek legal counsel - they can tell you much more about your rights than anyone here (short of the few lawyers here) can.

•••
I realize talking to an attorney is the best solution, all ready in the process of doing so to see what my legal discourse for this is. I mainly wanted opinions on if this in other web users eyes was a breach of contract or if I was thinking in anger at his actions.

•••
When you say DNS information, do you mean your domain name's WHOIS info
or its DNS records (A-records, MX, etc.)? If the host posted the former, then
that's "public" information anyway.

Also, could you read your host's legal fine print and see if there's something
like "we have your permission to display your personal information any way we
see fit"? Or something like that.

But then, we only have your side of the story. As much complete a picture as
possible is nice.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back