Dynadot

Honor thy Auction!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mad409

Always thinking outside the box!Top Member
Impact
There seems to be a huge problem with people listing domain names at multiple sites and running multiple auctions at the same time. It's impossible for a site admin to search every marketplace when a name is listed on their auction site. Sure sites have T & C's and rules but those can be broken and the only recourse is to ban the user from the site.

One that caught my eye, just recently was the sale of Legal.Directory. This has been listed on my site, live auction for many days, no reserve and had one bid of $99.00. The name sold and then the seller sent me an email stating they didn't mean to sell the domain for $99.00, thought that was the starting price and not the selling price. Then proceeded to advise me they would not be selling the domain, or transferring it to the winner. Contact the winner and let them know.

At first I thought, well they made a mistake, even told them I understood. But after further review I see it was listed at Flippa, when it was listed at my site and not sure how many other sites. I also noticed they had no problem adding a reserve there. Now I see it listed on the ROTD auction, with a reserve, hmmm. I'm pretty sure it sold for $99.00 before it was added to the ROTD at NameJet. Oh and it has a reserve there too.

On second thought this wasn't a mistake but rather a domain name fishing expedition. I'm not trying to be crude but hopefully the name won't sale at ROTD, what happened to ethics? If it does sale, well hope the sale is honored this time.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
When domain auctions are given the same security as estate auctions, fine art auctions, automobile auctions, antique auctions, etc., then we'll all benefit in the domain aftermarket. Someone will have to prosecute the auction platform and owner for fraud, that is, offering the same item at multiple auctions simultaneously. When that happens, when the auction platform and owner are given the "perp walk," the nonsense will stop.

•••
it is very hard to find any domain name auction running on multiple auction and there for it is the biggest problem created each of time when buyer buy domain with high pricing.

•••
When domain auctions are given the same security as estate auctions, fine art auctions, automobile auctions, antique auctions, etc., then we'll all benefit in the domain aftermarket. Someone will have to prosecute the auction platform and owner for fraud, that is, offering the same item at multiple auctions simultaneously. When that happens, when the auction platform and owner are given the "perp walk," the nonsense will stop.

My post is about domainer wrong doing and not auction sites. It's about a member winning an auction and the domainer crying mistake when they were clearly familiar with how to list on auction sites.

You can't class a would have been $99.00 name sale and a $4.95 fee to the site to fine art and estate auctions. :rolleyes:

This is about doing the right thing and quit abusing the system. If we could keep the thread on track that would be great, TY.

•••
Name and shame .......simple

•••
Idk if it would be helpful, but maybe simple insite:www.domain.com searching could reveal where the site is listed.

•••
My post is about domainer wrong doing and not auction sites. It's about a member winning an auction and the domainer crying mistake when they were clearly familiar with how to list on auction sites.

I'll correct you. Your original post is about the abuse of the domain aftermarket auction system by auction participants, and auction platforms allowing such abuse, period.

•••
•••
I'll correct you. Your original post is about the abuse of the domain aftermarket auction system by auction participants, and auction platforms allowing such abuse, period.

You're correct it's about abuse by participants but it happened at my auction platform. I was pointing out what the seller did to one of my members and the only course of action I can take is ban the user. I was also pointing out the domain is now on the ROTD auction for NamesCon at NameJet.

My hands are tied, I do my best not to allow abuse but what can I do when the seller doesn't honor their auction?

I'm also pointing this out to anyone who may be thinking on bidding for this domain, letting them know the seller didn't honer their auction.

•••
Domain auction platforms don't work well where you have little to no traffic. I think even Flippa isn't big enough to effectively market an auctioned domain. You need the huge eyeballs on GoDaddy, Sedo, Afternic for an auction to reach a reasonable price for the seller. Sure there are exceptions. But without the eyeballs the seller won't get they're desired price (generally).

•••
Domain auction platforms don't work well where you have little to no traffic. I think even Flippa isn't big enough to effectively market an auctioned domain. You need the huge eyeballs on GoDaddy, Sedo, Afternic for an auction to reach a reasonable price for the seller. Sure there are exceptions. But without the eyeballs the seller won't get they're desired price (generally).

I seem to be gaining quite a bit of traffic, not like the big boys you mentioned and probably never will.

On smaller platforms it's always best to secure the sale with a reserve for sure, or start your bidding at a rate you will accept. Or just run a BIN...

The sale mentioned within this thread was a domain that sold and the seller didn't honor their auction stating they did know how auction sites worked. But when looking around they were a seasoned domainer and used sites such as Flippa and others. Now that domain is on the NamesCon auction. :rolleyes:

I personally felt bad for the winning bidder, when this type behavior happens I'm the one who has to respond to the complaints. This person should have honored their auction, just saying. ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back