Domain Empire

Honest Injun???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello All,

All names put forward for appraisal have to be owned by the person putting them up. Why?
Is it for the very simple reason that there may be those of us, dishonest enough to try and reg. a name put up for appraisal?
Thanks.
charbar.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
by definition an appraisal is a valuation of something that is already owned.

domain name discussion/expired domains is the right category for talk about domains that:

-have never been registered before
-expired -> dropped -> now available

i would recommend not sharing domain names that you think would be good to register on the board until yo register because NP has a few bad eggs now, unfortunately. i believe that is why the live chat is no longer available (because certain members were spamming/disrupting chat)

hope that helps you out. if you haev other questions, post them in the thread or make a new one and ill do my best to try and answer them!

-Steve B-)

and yes, Jeff's style seems to be rubbing off on a lot of people lately

•••
Thanks Steve,

Didnt get the "Jeff" bit

Anyway, further on appraisals - I dont know how much pro appraisors charge per name or whatever, but np's being canny, I think that some must pm a trusted fellow member with a list of unregd names and ask for appraisals (say for nps, if not cash!

I wouldn't blame them. Good appraisors know almost imm. if a name is a winner. imo.
imo, if a list of say 10 names was given to a top appraisor, he would do the gig in no time at a fraction of the cost. (of a pro co.)
imo, I think the appraisor would have to know what the nameowner has in mind: e.g. development, traffic, imm resell, investment etc., before giving an accurate appraisal.
Your thoughts please.

charbar.

•••
Here's an Example :

What if You owned SomeNiceBusiness.com - and Someone else placed it in the Appraisal section ...... and Someone Appraised it at only 100$ while you were trying to sell it for 500$ ....

- Well it is now Blasted all over the internet that the domain is only worth
100$ ..... Not many buyers are willing to buy from You at 500$ after seeing this information Even though You never asked for it to be appraised.

There are many reasons - But this is the main one I would worry about the most.

Hope it helps :)

•••
I've also seen people just out of curiosity putting up names like aol.com, yahoo.com etc. Obviously these have value beyond the domain, are not for sale, and just waste space and time.

•••
charbar said:
Didnt get the "Jeff" bit
Jeff is one of the long time leaders of NamePros and him and I live around the same area. Very nice guy, you have to talk with him - very helpful.

charbar said:
mo, if a list of say 10 names was given to a top appraisor, he would do the gig in no time at a fraction of the cost. (of a pro co.)
Not necessarily - getting names appraised is something that only should be done under two circumstances:
1. If you have no idea of a value of a name that you are going to buy.
2. If you have received an offer on a name and unsure of a fair value to sell the domain name at.

A good domain name (aka "domainer") trader will do their own appraisals, or have them done, rather than asking for the owner of the name to do an appraisal (whether or not they ask for a appraisal at a certain locale).

charbar said:
imo, I think the appraisor would have to know what the nameowner has in mind: e.g. development, traffic, imm resell, investment etc., before giving an accurate appraisal.
100% Correct. A true appraisal takes into account all of these factors. But keep in mind, an appraiser only values an item at its current state. If you want a higher value, make it worth more. Develop it, add content and get more traffic.

-Steve

•••
stscac said:
Jeff is one of the long time leaders of NamePros and him and I live around the same area. Very nice guy, you have to talk with him - very helpful.

Not necessarily - getting names appraised is something that only should be done under two circumstances:
1. If you have no idea of a value of a name that you are going to buy.
2. If you have received an offer on a name and unsure of a fair value to sell the domain name at.

*two very valid points, Steve, but I'm sure it's also done by the most of us newbies, who simply dont know what to ask for a name they've just reg'd and think of as a winner
A good domain name (aka "domainer") trader will do their own appraisals, or have them done, rather than asking for the owner of the name to do an appraisal (whether or not they ask for a appraisal at a certain locale).

100% Correct. A true appraisal takes into account all of these factors. But keep in mind, an appraiser only values an item at its current state. If you want a higher value, make it worth more. Develop it, add content and get more traffic.

-Steve

sorry, typed in wrong place.*

Last edited:
•••
:hi:

Thanks, Steve!

charbar said:
All names put forward for appraisal have to be owned by the person putting them up.

Righto (otherwise - for non-owned domains, for instance - they'd belong in the "Domain Discussions" Forum), thanks for keeping things cool and efficient for us here at Staff™, IMHO.
-Jeff B-)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back