IT.COM

advice High-Profile Domainer Refuses to Transfer Sold Domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DrJacoby

Top Member
Impact
Here's a question to the more experienced members of Namepros.

If you purchased a domain at BIN price at one of the two big marketplaces, and then the seller refuses to transfer it, claiming that he/she sold it at another venue shortly before you bought it, what would you do?

1) Do nothing and just move on.
2) Take legal action.
3) Name and shame.

Would it matter if the offender is a high-profile figure (that, for example, sits on the NamesCon Advisory Board)?

Worth mentioning is that the seller lowered the price just before I purchased it, so I find it hard to believe the he/she is no longer the owner. Besides, serious sellers only have BIN prices at one marketplace. Even beginners know this.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It could be a whois change, renewal, dns change, lock/unlock, etc.

The timing though is a good indication that ownership could have changed.

Brad
Thanks. So the domain likely did sell to another buyer which makes me feel a little better.

•••
It can't happen if you set BIN prices on only one marketplace (and use Make Offer on all others).

I generally only have BIN on some domains at GoDaddy venues, but domains have a very low sell-through rate. It makes sense to maximize the odds of making a sale.

It's not really that unusual to list items for sale on multiple marketplaces, then remove them when sold.

Brad

•••
So, the price drop at Sedo happened after the assumed sale, is that correct @DrJacoby?
I didn't mention which marketplace I used, but the price drop most likely happened before the sale (I don't have an exact time for the price drop). It wouldn't make sense the other way around.

•••
Thanks. So the domain likely did sell to another buyer which makes me feel a little better.
I doubt someone with a strong history in the field is going to risk their credibility over a low dollar sale.

Brad

•••
It's not really that unusual to list items for sale on multiple marketplaces, then remove them when sold.
Yes. Removing the domain from other marketplaces is literally the first thing I always do when a domain is sold.

•••
I doubt someone with a strong history in the field is going to risk their credibility over a low dollar sale.

Brad
Sounds reasonable.

•••
Yes. Removing the domain from other marketplaces is literally the first thing I always do when a domain is sold.
Even then there can be an issue as some marketplaces, GoDaddy for instance, often have a delay until the listing is actually removed from their system.

Brad

•••
•••
Why are you using the word "scam"? I've never accused the seller of scamming. I'm here trying to get advice from more experienced domain investors on how to handle the situation.
Scam word was used by someone else and I am just following the usage in broadest possible sense.

Otherwise, what are we shaming him about? Just setting bin on multiple venues? That is normal accepted practice. E.g. almost all 250k sh names are also listed with bin on afternic.

So, ok, let's avoid scam word. Still no foul play.

It is different for auctions and private deals though.

•••
Probably just a mistake. It happens. Just move on.

•••
Otherwise, what are we shaming him about?
We're not shaming him/her. I asked for advice, and Naming and Shaming was one of three possible options that I was considering. But thanks to the people in this thread I've decided to just move on.

•••
We're not shaming him/her. I asked for advice, and Naming and Shaming was one of three possible options that I was considering. But thanks to the people in this thread I've decided to just move on.

Please don't take it personal. I know you are were not planning to. It was just one of the options suggested and I am addressing that one.

The only situations I have come to expect the delivery of the deal is private negotiations with the "handshake" and auctions. You want the reputation factor in those, as otherwise it becomes pointless, wastes time and opens up the space to potential scamming. Hence the reputation scores here on NP, e.g.

•••
I've bought domain names at marketplaces, and then later had to get them removed from other marketplaces. Unfortunately, not all sellers are methodical in quickly removing their stale listings when transactions take place.

It's not 100% clear that that's what took place here, but it is plausible.

•••
IMO, That's the wise thing to do, and if this make you feel better, I encountered with 3 bad sellers last month on auction (not at namepros) and 1 of the refunded payment still pending at my bank. so yeah, i know the feel. it's suck.

•••
Here's a question to the more experienced members of Namepros.

If you purchased a domain at BIN price at one of the two big marketplaces, and then the seller refuses to transfer it, claiming that he/she sold it at another venue shortly before you bought it, what would you do?

1) Do nothing and just move on.
2) Take legal action.
3) Name and shame.

Would it matter if the offender is a high-profile figure (that, for example, sits on the NamesCon Advisory Board)?

Worth mentioning is that the seller lowered the price just before I purchased it, so I find it hard to believe the he/she is no longer the owner. Besides, serious sellers only have BIN prices at one marketplace. Even beginners know this.

•••
Name and shame are best , no point as the most is the seller just got banned from the platform which can be easily reopen a new one.

•••
So, the price drop at Sedo happened after the assumed sale, is that correct @DrJacoby?
One simple question here.

Sedo has mandatory verification for all their listings. If indeed the domain was sold the day prior, could this whole mess been avoided if they had in place routine verification rechecks prior to accepting any sale offer? , Basically, a quick check that confirms that the domain is still indeed available?

While this would not change the outcome of your current situation, could at least some further incidents like this be prevented? Wouldn't a quick verification recheck prior to sale be helpful, to pick up when a domain transfer is already in progress?

Last edited:
•••
I'm late to this thread, but I'm guessing what the seller told you is correct, especially for the dollar amount you're talking about.

It's unfortunate, but it happens. Sellers have some responsibility for removing listings, but marketplaces are also at fault. Earlier this year I got a sales notice at Dan for a domain I sold through Afternic a year or two ago. Dan syndicated listings even if you didn't want them to, so I place the blame on GoDaddy for that one.

•••
I'm late to this thread, but I'm guessing what the seller told you is correct, especially for the dollar amount you're talking about.

It's unfortunate, but it happens. Sellers have some responsibility for removing listings, but marketplaces are also at fault. Earlier this year I got a sales notice at Dan for a domain I sold through Afternic a year or two ago. Dan syndicated listings even if you didn't want them to, so I place the blame on GoDaddy for that one.
The seller didn't say anything. He/she didn't bother to answer my email. The marketplace tried to contact him/her for days before he/she cared to respond to them that the domain had already sold at another venue.

My guess is that the "punishment" he/she received was milk and cookies and some comforting words.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back