Domain Empire

Hi from a new domainer (by costly accident)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

TDM

Established Member
Impact
What’s your name?
A: Tom

Where do you live?

A:
Austria (NOT Australia)

What’s your level of expertise?
novice, intermediate, expert, etc.

A:
New in the domain game

How much experience do you have in the domain industry?
years, experience, etc.

A:
One week eventually

What would you like to specifically learn first?
how to buy a domain, domain history, best selling strategies, government policies, etc.

A:
Buying and snapping goods cheaply as well as selling strategies

Are you currently working on any projects or ideas?

A:
Oh yes.. but nothing to do with domains (traditional online business)

What are your short-term goals in the next year?

A:
100 - 200 business clients

What are your long-term goals in the next 5 years?

A:
Preparing to take over the world HarHarHar

What was your first domain you purchased?

A:
Haha bunch of .mobi's (fallen for the hype in 2006 or 2008. Can't remember exactly)

Why did you start investing in domains? Please tell us the story.

A:
(Maybe fallen again for some hype) Bid and won a bunch of two char .at domains.
But guessing in a few months
(and years to come) they worth lot more than reg fee

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
Thanks for the intro. Great to meet you and welcome you to this fine community.

Best of luck from Los Angeles!

•••
Hi there and thanks for the warmly welcome :)

Forgot to explain the "costly accident" mentioned in thread title.

Here we go:

For months I had the starting date for two character .at domains in my calendar.
(Till now 3 chars where minimum. Thanks to VW court action, two chars where given free. Auctioned by sedo)

The pre-registration and trademark claiming period i was not interested (costs).

Public auction: Bid on almost every domain which had low entry or no bids at all.

Did not adjust proxy bids.. just let them go their higher price route with other bidders..
(c.at, f.at, etc

One hour before auction closed I started to delete domains which I not wanted that bad.
(A lot where just going above my proxy and where out of my books anyway.)

But then I sat on a large (~60) amount of domains where I was highest bidder.. and suddenly the ability to delete them disappeared. No outbids. Nothing to reverse my bid)

That way I eventually won a hell of a lot more domains than I originally planned to buy.

Time will tell if I was unlucky-luckylucky or just unlucky (as with my great strike on worthless mobi's) :)

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
Welcome @TDM ... when you take over the world, remember us fondly!

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Sure would like to also welcome you to the forum @TDM

•••
•••
•••
Great Story and welcome @TDM : wave : The benefit is since you live in Austria you will have a "locals advantage" selling your .AT domains

I am a fan of 2C in many ccTLDs so I am watching the AT auctions with interest as well, just not bidding : smile :

•••
•••
Welcome, atleast you have had years to think about non .coms ;) Keep those memories close

•••
@usernamex @Joshh71390

Very true!

I followed the .com a little bit over the years. From the point a LLL com was worth expiring to save renewal fee, to where LLL`s became retirement plans.

On LL .at i just couldn`t resist. While .at has not even close the popularity of .de (Germany - and sites in German language in general), there are just below 1500 meaningful LL, LN, NL, NN combinations without idn chars
I would guess that a year from now any combination may be worth middle $$$ to low $$$$. Finding buyers may be the other side of that story :)

Everything else: Everything non .com: Lesson learned. Moving on to new mistakes to learn from..

Last edited:
•••
•••

Alright. Got me :) ... going exact numbers route now:

1521 (with Ö,Ü,Ä - they are often used and make some sense in German language)
1296 (a-z, 0-9)

•••
•••
Hello @TDM !

Welcome aboard to NamePros! :)

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back