IT.COM

discuss Hey, what's going on? 20% of NP Traffic from Libya and Kyrgyzstan?

NameSilo
Watch

NameInbox

Top Member
Impact

Any thoughts or ideas on this?​

1689795835397.png

Sure any forum/website needs Traffic to earn on ads, but sometimes
Traffic from Kyrgyzstan was even more than from UK or IN.

Bots or domaing boom?

"Libya, with population of near 7M and Internet users near3M*, is deep in domaining nowadays like never before. Domaing seems to be more popular than crypto, cloud, AI all together." :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

*3.14 million internet users in Libya in January 2023. Libya's internet penetration rate stood at 45.9 percent of the total population (data from here https://datareportal.com/reports/digital-2023-libya)

p.s. I'm using similarweb for free.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?
Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Google 'MENA countries', no wonder that domain investment for many people there related with hopes of big income or any income, just like a lot of citizens in developing countries rely on bitcoin or similar.
Time will tell either was it 'stupid tax' just like buying lotto tickets or reasonable and successful risk for some.

Last edited:
•••
It's about Traffic of NamPros. I mean US, IN, UK ... EU population is much more than in that locations from where unusual traffic comes.

•••
It's about Traffic of NamPros. I mean US, IN, UK ... EU population is much more than in that locations from where unusual traffic comes.
NP is the largest forum about domain investing.

•••
How is the service you're using actually track this data? How do they know?

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
No doubt and you work on it, so kinly let us(users) know

what's going on?​

You may use any. SimilarWeb
Its a cool thing to check out, thank you.

But I just wanted to ask you, how does this service know the data? Is the data complete or just based on some consumer membership data which is collected from only a sample of people around the world? Or perhaps they have access to other stat data utilizing a method which I am simply ignorant of?

Last edited:
•••
Its a cool thing to check out, thank you.

But I just wanted to ask you, how does this service know the data? Is the data complete or just based on some consumer membership data which is collected from only a sample of people around the world? Or perhaps they have access to other stat data utilizing a method which I am simply ignorant of?
Welcome
Smart people work there :xf.wink:
https://support.similarweb.com/hc/en-us/articles/4912885128337-How-does-Similarweb-get-data

Last edited:
•••

Hey, what's going on?​

20% of NP Traffic from Libya and Kyrgyzstan?​

Anyone

•••
You'd need to see the actual analytics data from NamePros, not a third party that can be wildly skewed. Maybe, if you ask really nicely, admin will give you a country breakdown of the actual visitors or at the very least, maybe they'll confirm if this is even remotely accurate. I'm guessing it's not even remotely accurate.

•••
•••
I actually thought you meant to type “Kazakhstan” so i had to look this country up.

You learn something new everyday, thanks!

IMG_5497.jpeg

Last edited:
•••

Any thoughts or ideas on this?​

Show attachment 243105
Sure any forum/website needs Traffic to earn on ads, but sometimes
Traffic from Kyrgyzstan was even more than from UK or IN.

Bots or domaing boom?

"Libya, with population of near 7M and Internet users near3M*, is deep in domaining nowadays like never before. Domaing seems to be more popular than crypto, cloud, AI all together." :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

*3.14 million internet users in Libya in January 2023. Libya's internet penetration rate stood at 45.9 percent of the total population (data from here https://datareportal.com/reports/digital-2023-libya)

p.s. I'm using similarweb for free.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?
Thanks
I’m not sure where they’re getting that data, but it’s nowhere near accurate. That doesn’t match our own analytics, nor does it match Google Analytics. Actual traffic share is much closer to what you’d expect, and I don’t recall seeing either of those countries in the top 10.

•••
•••
According to Google Analytics--which is far from perfect and should still be treated as an estimate--over the past month, Libya is #100 by unique user count, and Kyrgyzstan is #104. Combined, they account for about 0.06% of unique visitors over that time period. That's a far cry from the > 20% your tool is reporting.

•••
I’m not sure where they’re getting that data, but it’s nowhere near accurate. That doesn’t match our own analytics, nor does it match Google Analytics. Actual traffic share is much closer to what you’d expect, and I don’t recall seeing either of those countries in the top 10.
Oh, I see. Can you kindly share top 10 from GA/Google Analytics data. Thanks

•••
Oh, I see. Can you kindly share top 10 from GA/Google Analytics data. Thanks
That wouldn't be a good representation, either--it's very much an estimate. Lots of people use ad blockers and web browsers that block Google Analytics, and there are crawlers that Google Analytics treats as human. It ends up underrepresenting human traffic--often significantly--and over-representing crawler traffic.

I can say that the human traffic we see hasn't changed too much: it's roughly what you'd expect. The US still holds first place. Populous countries like India and China also have significant representation. Europe is up there, although probably not as high as you might expect--they're often outpaced by developing nations.

This is purely speculation on my part, but I expect to see an influx of domainers from Africa over the coming years as more people there gain consistent access to the internet. I also expect to see more intermingling between the Chinese and Western domaining communities: there's historically been a bit of a divide between them, but, anecdotally, I've noticed more and more Chinese domainers participating on NamePros.

•••
Europe is up there, although probably not as high as you might expect

Not surprising. Europe has a lot of strong and mature ccTLDs. You won't find much action/news/discussion.

99% of domainers here don't understand ccTLDs.

My portfolio is probably 90% ccTLD. I'm only here to stay up to speed on whatever concerns the other 10%.

•••
That wouldn't be a good representation, either--it's very much an estimate. Lots of people use ad blockers and web browsers that block Google Analytics, and there are crawlers that Google Analytics treats as human. It ends up underrepresenting human traffic--often significantly--and over-representing crawler traffic.

I can say that the human traffic we see hasn't changed too much: it's roughly what you'd expect. The US still holds first place. Populous countries like India and China also have significant representation. Europe is up there, although probably not as high as you might expect--they're often outpaced by developing nations.

This is purely speculation on my part, but I expect to see an influx of domainers from Africa over the coming years as more people there gain consistent access to the internet. I also expect to see more intermingling between the Chinese and Western domaining communities: there's historically been a bit of a divide between them, but, anecdotally, I've noticed more and more Chinese domainers participating on NamePros.
Thanks, at least for this.

Organic Traffic, I see US/IN/UK/CA/MA/NG ... but you wrote EU is up, so

1)"Europe is up" - did you mean UK as Europe or what?
2) Ukraine is at least in Top 30 or so?

Thanks

•••
Last edited:
•••
Thanks, at least for this.

Organic Traffic, I see US/IN/UK/CA/MA/NG ... but you wrote EU is up, so

1)"Europe is up" - did you mean UK as Europe or what?
2) Ukraine is at least in Top 30 or so?

Thanks
Just to clarify, I said “Europe is up there,” which is different from “Europe is up”—the latter implies an increase in share of traffic over time.

By “Europe,” I mean countries generally considered to be part of Europe, not the European Union. That would include the UK.

I’m not sure exactly where Ukraine falls, but I know we have a decent number of active members from Ukraine.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back