Dynadot

Help me understand GoDaddy Auctions (like I was 5)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

eqz13489

Established Member
Impact
Here is the deal. I've sold domains in the past, never using Godaddy Auctions...although this year I did subscribe to Godaddy Auctions to try it out.

All year I have not sold even ONE domain with them.

I know they have different features like premium listings which I have never used. But I can't imagine them charging me for the basic auctions account if people don't actually have success using it EVER.

I look at the auctions lists and see domains with bids that are selling, some of them are really just weird or in other words, they don't seem (to me) to have ANY value or even selling potential.

Now I'm not saying I have great domains, but I don't know...I think some of mine are pretty good...but that's all personal opinion I guess - however, I tend to think my domains seem to be a little better then the ones I've seen with success in GD auctions.

So I ask, can someone break this down to me like I am five? What is the secrete of those who are getting the bids? What are they doing to get them? Am I looking at an illusion? Fake Bids? Did they just throw the extra money into their listing when I didn't?

I just don't understand it and if there is someone out there who knows something I don't please please share it with me. I don't know if I'm allowed to name drop my domains I have listed there now, or name drop the silly names i've seen listed with bids for examples so I'll just end my post here and hopefully someone can enlighten me on this topic.

Thanks everyone! :-/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You've had multiple $XXXX offers for psychological.info and you didn't accept one?
Yah, why would I? Its generic. If people are making me offers now, they will later and later people will offer more due to it's age. Plus, I might want to develop it eventually...so unless someone offered me something extremely enticing, I'd rather hold it longterm.

•••
You've had multiple $XXXX offers for psychological.info and you didn't accept one?
Let me guess... it was that rich investor from Zurich.

With all these new extensions, you may have missed your chance. That's an incredibly rare price for a .info

Back to the subject of GoDaddy auctions, I just placed a few today for the first time, ever. I started the price very low to entice bidders. With over 6 days to go, I already have 3 bids on a LLLL.com -- so I'm impressed already. The big question mark for me is when I'll actually get paid.

Also, as someone else touched on earlier, why not earn a few bucks on a domain you expect to let expire. GoDaddy is going to list it anyway (if it's registered with them), so why let them have all the glory (and profit)?

Last edited:
•••
Let me guess... it was that rich investor from Zurich.

With all these new extensions, you may have missed your chance. That's an incredibly rare price for a .info

Back to the subject of GoDaddy auctions, I just placed a few today for the first time, ever. I started the price very low to entice bidders. With over 6 days to go, I already have 3 bids on a LLLL.com -- so I'm impressed already. The big question mark for me is when I'll actually get paid.

Nothing even like that. Not sure why you are trying to insult me. I've had legit offers, from legit people within my network of contacts, within the states. :-o Not random spam email. really? c'mon.
i'm not here to sell that domain so I'm not even sure why you are challenging it....the point was obviously godaddy auctions...

Godaddy is for the birds. I posted this originally a long while ago and my auctions already ran up and I never renewed. Waste of time in my opinion, and in parallel to everything else that has been successful.

•••
Godaddy is for the birds. I posted this originally a long while ago and my auctions already ran up and I never renewed. Waste of time in my opinion, and in parallel to everything else that has been successful.
Seems like you pretty much had your mind made up about GD auctions when you posted this, but with the offers you're getting from your contacts and everything else, it appears you don't need GoDaddy auctions, anyway. Best of luck with poke.me and your .info generics.

•••
i think you missed the point of this entire post but it's my mistake for feeding the trolls.

•••
I have a domain name listed for minimum offer $8,000 at offer/counter offer. If someone bid on my Domain Name for $8,000 my minimum offer,can I still counter offer for a higher price?

Thanks

•••
I have a domain name listed for minimum offer $8,000 at offer/counter offer. If someone bid on my Domain Name for $8,000 my minimum offer,can I still counter offer for a higher price?

Thanks

Yes, you should be able to counter higher.

Brad

•••
how many domains I can place in godaddy auction for one time charge

•••
how many domains I can place in godaddy auction for one time charge

I don't believe you can run a multiple domain auction on GoDaddy. So the answer is 1. But even if you could, you still have to pay their 20% commission on the sale.

•••
From my understanding after 24hrs of looking at it - you list your domain at say $12 ignore when some random bids $12 let auction expire then relaunch at say $500, 2k, 5k 25k etc and the original bids still show in bid count, take as long as you wish to build this. This way when someone looks at your crappy domain worth $10 you can have it listed at say 50k and have a record of maybe 100 bids (they all probably bid sub $100). The hope is someone thinks oh wow it's on for 10k and has 20 bids maybe I should outbid as I'm new and these other people must know something I don't. I'm not sure people in general are that dumb but seems to be the tactic. If you see a domain on for 25k with 10 bids, those bids are probably ancient and around the $10 mark. Doubt anyone in 2018 ever pays anywhere near these prices unless fresh off the boat. ie under 24hrs of looking. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
•••
Case in point if reading this today search i-co with the main domain ending. It was on for min bid of $12, two days ago and got 1 bid at close for that amount. Bid ignored, then goes to $500 min bid. Now I think less than 24hs later is asking min bid $15k. Still shows 1 bid on listing. Anyone might think someone bid $15k+ but in reality this represents the lone bid at $12...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back