Domain Empire

HELP! Domain Drops keep getting snatched by others

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dnadomain

Established Member
Impact
I have been placing backorders on ready to drop name (1-3 days) via Dynadot's backorder service, and the most curious thing keeps happening.

CARTOONDRAWING.COM

There as no other backorders placed except for mine about a day ago, then all of a sudden I see a competing backorder placed. 5 minutes ago, I check my dashboard and see my backorder attempt failed. I check the whois and see a registration date of today, so it seems it was not renewed by original order.

Second domain:

GLUTENOUS.COM

Same scenario. Registration date shows up as today.
Are people getting an advantage using another backorder service I don't know about?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Welcome to the world of 'sniping'!!

•••
:D There are a lot of backorder services, including Pool, Namejet, Snapnames, Name.com, Godaddy, and many many others. It's not 100% sure that you will get the domain if you have a backorder at one service. Domainers usually have backorders on the same domain on multiple sites. Anyway, there are better and worst backorder services, and dynadot is one of the worst.

•••
Are people getting an advantage using another backorder service I don't know about?

Lets see.

1) whois CARTOONDRAWING.COM
Result: Registrar: ENOM447 INCORPORATED

2) google: enom backorder
Result: www.enom.com/domainsearch/search-backorder.aspx‎

3) "We are partnered with NameJet... ...At NameJet, you are able to acquire domain names that have just expired"

Conclusion: The answer to your question is: "Yes"

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for all the great advice and insight.

Lost way too many good domains this way, time to switch to another backorder service.

Probably Namejet and Snapnames.

No more Dynadot, that really stinks!

•••
:D There are a lot of backorder services, including Pool, Namejet, Snapnames, Name.com, Godaddy, and many many others. It's not 100% sure that you will get the domain if you have a backorder at one service. Domainers usually have backorders on the same domain on multiple sites. Anyway, there are better and worst backorder services, and dynadot is one of the worst.

Hmmmm, so I look at all these services and I see they want to charge me mucho dinero for their services.

Pool.com - $60 for backorder
Name.com - $49
Namejet.com - $59 to $69
Dynadot.com - $15

I'm thinking I should just stick to Dynadot, even if it is not as "good" at snatching names than the other registrars. Any thoughts? And other services I might have overlooked??

•••
Dynadot is OK for names that are not competitive, but I haven't seen them beat any of the major drop services or private drop experts. Dynadot will beat anyone trying to hand-reg and GoDaddy from what I have seen. I use them for stuff that isn't a big loss if they miss and isn't worth the expense of the better services.

•••
The single registrars will work for those names that aren't being sought after by others.

From what I see GoDaddy has an edge over these guys in terms of numbers, given their worldwide subsidiary registrars in different countries, but execution is another matter altogether.

Namejet and Snapnames will give you the best chances at the most sought after names - collectively don't they have hundreds of partner registrars at their disposal?

•••
Thanks for the input inforg and RazorNF, it really helps to get a perspective on the pecking order of the registrars.

•••
If nobody else backorders it you can just hand reg it for $1.17 with a Godaddy coupon. Worth missing a few to get that price. If someone else wants it then its' an auction, that can be expensive. So backorders are for valuable names you are willing to pay a lot for.

•••
For a couple of bucks more at Pheenix.com, I prefer to use Pheenix.com for my backorders over Dynadot.com

Also. You should search NameJet/SnapNames for the domains you are backordering, and if they are backordered at either of these I'd backorder your domain at both of them.

•••
Dynadot isn't so quick, indeed. Pheenix is one I didn't know yet.

•••
If it's a really good name, a drop-catcher insider will probably snipe it before you get it. And before you consider Snapnames, read this: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/11/snapnames_former_exec_bid_up_d.html

There are those in the domain business who find it hard to believe one lone employee committed all that fraud.

Anyway, there are lots of articles on the Snapnames scandal, so read before you decide to spend money anywhere.

•••
Heynow: Very interesting. As an experiment a few days ago I placed a few bids on some usless domains (no one in their right mind would bid on) to see if people would bid on it, thinking it was valuable and that was why I was bidding. Sure enough out of the five three were bid on. And these domains were totally useless.

Not sure if it's an insider bidding up or just amateurs going by the list of backdrops that have domains on them and bidding thinking they are valuable.

Stub: How much is Pheenix? They don't list it on the site, I want to make sure before I go through their reg process.

Accent: I will never use GoDaddy again ever since they pulled a fast one some years ago. I really don't trust them.

•••
Not to hijack your thread.

Can anyone tell me if using Godaddy backordering service to pick up expiring names registered at Godaddy is worth it, or will I be better off using another backordering service? Thanks.

•••
Pheenix backorder $18.95

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back