NameSilo

advice Help...domain already registered.. what to do?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sarah merc

Impact
hi, i am new to this whole domain market. I have a specific domain that i want but not available. what steps do i take to get the domain?? any advice? thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Look at the WHOIS info and send an email to the current owner.

•••
Look at the WHOIS info and send an email to the current owner.
to dominic belly, i have tried but there is no answer its been almost 3 weeks. I don't want to tell them my budget they will increase the price, or should i tell them?

•••
If they dont reply it could mean the domain is not for sale

•••
Hey Sarah

Something to consider here, assuming you want the particular domain as it is related to your business? Now, let say the domain your want is yourbusiness.com and it's taken, let say ur budget is $2500 for the domain. Now what you should ask yourself is, what would be more beneficial to your business:

1.) getting the .com domain and spending $2500

OR

2.) get the same domain in a .net or country specific TLD or a relevant new TLD and spending the $2500 on a marketing campaign instead.

There is no right or wrong answer but the type of business you are in will determine which option might be best option for you.

•••
If the domain is developed than may not be for sale, but you can try reaching them.
You can also consider other TLDs i.e. .net, .org / .online, .site / ccTLDs (.co, .de, etc)

•••
1) Search all the marketplaces (GoDaddy, Flippa, Afternic, Sedo, etc.), it might be listed.

2) If that doesn't work, you can try backordering it with something like Namejet.com.

3) Finally (if you're desperate enough), you can call/visit the person, but I wouldn't really recommend it...

Also, I wouldn't be afraid of mentioning the budget. If it's a really good name, the seller probably gets overwhelmed with offers that lead nowhere. Stating your budget/making an offer, could motivate the seller to get in touch with you.

If you're afraid of the seller increasing the price, state 1/2 your maximum budget. So, if the seller does decide to increase the price, you'll be able to negotiate in a comfortable range.

Good luck! :)

•••
to dominic belly, i have tried but there is no answer its been almost 3 weeks. I don't want to tell them my budget they will increase the price, or should i tell them?

focus on this:

2.) get the same domain in a .net or country specific TLD or a relevant new TLD and spending the $2500 on a marketing campaign instead.

Want some ideas on how you can use new TLD's now? Visit my sig. Use what you find to visit a registrar and come up with an exact match for your name, or even something better.

•••
Hey Sarah

Something to consider here, assuming you want the particular domain as it is related to your business? Now, let say the domain your want is yourbusiness.com and it's taken, let say ur budget is $2500 for the domain. Now what you should ask yourself is, what would be more beneficial to your business:

1.) getting the .com domain and spending $2500

OR

There is no right or wrong answer but the type of business you are in will determine which option might be best option for you.

i think dot com is best, i want to do this the right way

•••
i think dot com is best, i want to do this the right way
Their are brokers that will contact the seller , negotiate on your behalf, as well as provide the escrow service.
One off the top of my head is domainagents.com. I've had a transaction with them recently, I was the seller. Maybe someone can recommend others.

•••
right - good advise here. Also try to be realistic. There are domain names that regularly sell for a hundred thousand dollars or more. If you don't know the market, you really should seek out a trusted expert in the market, to at least let you know a reasonable price for the domain name. If it's out of your price range, at least you can know, and move on and settle on another extension, or potentially a different name, if it's not an existing business.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back