IT.COM

Hello, now I want some opinions on best strategy on selling.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzafat

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone,

I've just started Domain flipping, and done a lot of research and bought about ten domains already. I have a lot of experience doing PPC and SEO research so know quite a bit about keyword, competitive and market research, as well as watching for trends and new things on the internet so I expect once I understand the market more fully I will flourish.

So I've got 2 domains up for sale on Sedo at the moment, these are both domains I have had for a while.

I have gathered that Sedo, Afternic, Snapnames Flippa, Godaddy, Moniker seem to be the best places to get a sale. Any opinions and personal experiences on using these would be very welcome. I looked at Namebio and majority of sales from my keyword string came from Sedo, Afternic and Snapnames so I will start with these services first.

So I want to ask a few questions:

On average when listing with one the above "make an offer" from personal experience how long have you found it takes to get a sale, from the fastest time to the shortest time? I'm willing to wait out for a bit to get a good price for each sale, a few week, maybe not months, and definately not nearly a year- on the other hand perhaps it's more profitable to buy and sell fast in high volume, what is better?

Have you found putting it in an auction will get you a higher price than through make offer or buy now bidding? Which is the best auction platform? I am planning to park my domains, unless it is worthwhile just setting up a simple Wordpress squeezepage, what are the benefits as opposed to just parking?

What I may do is sell 3 on Sedo, 3 on Afternic, 3 on Snapnames and the rest through auction- either via Godaddy, Flippa or somwhere else.

Thoughts would be appreciated!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Also I have read about using brokers and have a list, but I assume you should only use a broker if your domain is definaely worth a lot?

•••
Hi

aspiring entrants, who say "domain flipping" tend to think that's what it is.

when in reality, most of it is about "domain buying"

because if you don't buy the right domains, you will never be able to "resell" them.

also, if you can't wait a year to sell a name, then best you quit now.

analyzing "historical sales" does no good, if you don't understand the "time" at which the domain was sold, who owned that domain and... how long they owned it before it sold.

contrary to the many tales told here, there are no quick ways to success

everything happens in time, so get a big clock if you plan to stick around.

auctions, imo, should only be utilized if you've received a bid that you would accept and that amount would be the "reserve" if you "sent" the name to auction. IE @ sedo

Good Luck!

•••
Hi gazzafat and welcome to NamePros.

To your questions, the 'buy now' vs 'make offer' sales are usually 60/40, however it is only worth to put in a 'make offer' option if you should have some real gems on your portfolio (like 1 word keywords and so on).

If you have average level domains and want to make some quick deals, try it with fair Buy It Now prices.

See you around.

•••
Hello and welcome to NP!
Hope you enjoy it here :)

•••
interesting thoughts. Well I refer to it as flipping mostly because that;s the term most used, of course I see it as a commodity.

In terms of things I've already bought, I have used tools I use for PPC and SEO so I've targeted high search volume keywords, plus understanding know businesses work, and having owned sites I am confident my buying strategy is broadly correct but the proof will be in the pudding.

I am willing to wait around a long time, so long as I have other domains selling in the meantime. I have read of course owners of sites that sold for $1m held them for many years, but of course I want my startegy to be a mixture of quick sell/buy plus long/hold to ensure I am getting revenue to reinvest quickly and just to live.

Hi

aspiring entrants, who say "domain flipping" tend to think that's what it is.

when in reality, most of it is about "domain buying"

because if you don't buy the right domains, you will never be able to "resell" them.

also, if you can't wait a year to sell a name, then best you quit now.

analyzing "historical sales" does no good, if you don't understand the "time" at which the domain was sold, who owned that domain and... how long they owned it before it sold.

contrary to the many tales told here, there are no quick ways to success

everything happens in time, so get a big clock if you plan to stick around.

auctions, imo, should only be utilized if you've received a bid that you would accept and that amount would be the "reserve" if you "sent" the name to auction. IE @ sedo

Good Luck!

•••
•••
Hello gazzafat, Welcome 2 Namepros!!!

•••
•••
•••
Flipping isn't sustainable nor is it easy.

With 10 domains, I would be surprised if you see a sale in the next 6 months. This is largely a numbers game. Though, with high end domains (and no hand registering those "gems" does not constitute high end) you can get in and out quicker since they are generally regarded as liquid.

As Biggie said, it's all about buying. You can buy a great domain but if you didn't pay a great price you're done for.

•••
Welcome to NamePros. Shane, pretty much covered it... especially at the last part. Buying price is everything.

•••
That may be true in many cases, but Gene Pimental, whose site I came across that led me to this, still hand registers quite a lot, specifically in niches so I've learnt a bit from him.

The ones I have hand registered I researched meticulously, for example I have some domain names based on new emerging industries no one has heard of, three I have bought also have keyword phrases of search volumes of 12,000, 18,000, 20,000. One has high buying intent within a certain industry- and having looked at similar names on namebios- which have a lot of sales.

I also sit on the board of a company which is involved in branding, so i have a very good idea of short sharp phrases. So I have a lot of skills and insights 99% of newbies don't have, whilst It may take me a while to fully understand the industry, and no doubt it may take me longer than I want to make the bucks I want, I am fully confident I will succeed :)

Flipping isn't sustainable nor is it easy.

With 10 domains, I would be surprised if you see a sale in the next 6 months. This is largely a numbers game. Though, with high end domains (and no hand registering those "gems" does not constitute high end) you can get in and out quicker since they are generally regarded as liquid.

As Biggie said, it's all about buying. You can buy a great domain but if you didn't pay a great price you're done for.

•••
Welcome to Np.
Domaining has different perspectives, knowing some technical stuff may not always help. It may also mislead you to wrong directions sometimes. You need to research more and read most of the subjects on namepros. See what people are discussing and what they are buying and selling. That should give you an idea in to find out what kind of domains you should have in your portfolio.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Welcome To NP @gazzafat :)
You have come to the right place. Take
your time, read more....All The Best!

•••
That may be true in many cases, but Gene Pimental, whose site I came across that led me to this, still hand registers quite a lot, specifically in niches so I've learnt a bit from him.

The ones I have hand registered I researched meticulously, for example I have some domain names based on new emerging industries no one has heard of, three I have bought also have keyword phrases of search volumes of 12,000, 18,000, 20,000. One has high buying intent within a certain industry- and having looked at similar names on namebios- which have a lot of sales.

I also sit on the board of a company which is involved in branding, so i have a very good idea of short sharp phrases. So I have a lot of skills and insights 99% of newbies don't have, whilst It may take me a while to fully understand the industry, and no doubt it may take me longer than I want to make the bucks I want, I am fully confident I will succeed :)

This is exactly the problem with most aspiring domainers... you will not be the exception to the rule. If that's your mentality, you might as well play roulette since it has better odds.

There are 2 other things I would like to address.

If no one knows about an industry, it won't sell.

Also, 10-20k searches per month isn't a lot.

•••
No. My attitude is research, looking at what sells, testing, understanding all the variables, adapting strategies if it's not working, ability to learn a market inside out, and learn from the experts. You don't have to make an assumption that may not be true :)

My speculation is on emerging industries- some may or may not come to fruition but I happen to keep an eye on things like patents and tech, many may not hit off but some of them will over time.

Well 10-20k searches a month would be potentially a lot in Ad revenue in organic search if any kind of related offer was put on the site and it was optimised. I don't know anyone in SEO or PPC who would agree with your statement.

This is exactly the problem with most aspiring domainers... you will not be the exception to the rule. If that's your mentality, you might as well play roulette since it has better odds.

There are 2 other things I would like to address.

If no one knows about an industry, it won't sell.

Also, 10-20k searches per month isn't a lot.

•••
No. My attitude is research, looking at what sells, testing, understanding all the variables, adapting strategies if it's not working, ability to learn a market inside out, and learn from the experts. You don't have to make an assumption that may not be true :)

My speculation is on emerging industries- some may or may not come to fruition but I happen to keep an eye on things like patents and tech, many may not hit off but some of them will over time.

Well 10-20k searches a month would be potentially a lot in Ad revenue in organic search if any kind of related offer was put on the site and it was optimised. I don't know anyone in SEO or PPC who would agree with your statement.

This isn't SEO or PPC. This is domaining.

•••
Of course that's true, it is one variable amongst many, but my strategy is I'm targeting buyer intent keywords as well as catchy brandable names (I have been involved in rebranding for companies so I know a bit about this).

I have a big list on a spreadsheet of some of the big domain name sales, and my plan is to analyse them in detail, especially recent sales to look for patterns. I guess it comes partly from experience knowing what works and what doesn't but, and no doubt there will be domains that don't sell that I think I should but I'm going to be reading everything I can from reputable sources to see what they say, and I won't be putting all my eggs in one basket before I know more!

This isn't SEO or PPC. This is domaining.

•••
Of course that's true, it is one variable amongst many, but my strategy is I'm targeting buyer intent keywords as well as catchy brandable names (I have been involved in rebranding for companies so I know a bit about this).

I have a big list on a spreadsheet of some of the big domain name sales, and my plan is to analyse them in detail, especially recent sales to look for patterns. I guess it comes partly from experience knowing what works and what doesn't but, and no doubt there will be domains that don't sell that I think I should but I'm going to be reading everything I can from reputable sources to see what they say, and I won't be putting all my eggs in one basket before I know more!

Definitely do the research.

You will quickly find that "related sales" mean very little. They are representative of a specific buyer, with a specific need, at a specific time, with a specific budget. If you didn't catch on, it's specific to that sale.

•••
That's a very useful point, thanks- do you have a particular methodology broadly when buying- do you mostly buy expiring domains, or you have a specific niche?

Definitely do the research.

You will quickly find that "related sales" mean very little. They are representative of a specific buyer, with a specific need, at a specific time, with a specific budget. If you didn't catch on, it's specific to that sale.

•••
That's a very useful point, thanks- do you have a particular methodology broadly when buying- do you mostly buy expiring domains, or you have a specific niche?

I do have a strategy but I cannot tell you. :P

I buy domains at auction mostly and my only niche is... domains that make money. ;)

•••
I actually just found your interview on Domain Sherpha so I'm going to read the transcript later! I have a lot of reading material now.

I do have a strategy but I cannot tell you. :P

I buy domains at auction mostly and my only niche is... domains that make money. ;)

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back