IT.COM

Have you had this GoDaddy Mistake?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
Got an email a little while ago from Godaddy saying a product has been removed from your account - nothing unusual in that, I have a handful of domains with them and a couple are due to expire shortly - thought it was one of those......

Instead it said

When you cancel a product we remove it from your account and it's no longer renewable. Here's what we removed today.

.com domain transfer (associated with xxxxdomain .com) I'm not revealing the domain.....but it was a pretty decent one

I did not own this own this domain, it was not in my account. So what happened? Did someone transfer the domain to my account, realise their mistake and asked Godaddy to remove it?

Did Godaddy accidently transfer the domain to my account?

Something else?

I received no transfer emails prior to this one - so sorry seems very odd

Anyone else have this happen before? Seems like a pretty serious security issue/flaw......

Whois shows an error and no match for domain and was updated at 17.49 today

Weird

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Same thing here. I received an email earlier today that was exactly the same.

It was to my account email and had my account number. I looked at the source code and it looked legitimate.

The domain referenced was quite a premium one actually, but not one I own or have ever owned.

I reached out to my account executive to see what is going on.

I will tag @Paul Nicks and @Joe Styler if they can look into it.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
.com domain transfer (associated with xxxxdomain .com) I'm not revealing the domain.....but it was a pretty decent one
Is the domain Lu****L***.com?

Brad

•••
Short of an issue with their automated email system it seems possible these are just phishing emails.

You can always forward them as an attachment to [email protected] and let them have a look.

If the names were never yours it's probably safe to disregard and delete the email...imo

•••
Short of an issue with their automated email system it seems possible these are just phishing emails.
I don't think that is the case.

This was referencing both my account email (which is not public) and customer number.

The source code also shows it is coming from secureserver.net, which is used by GoDaddy.

I am guessing there was some issue in their system, but I have no idea at the moment.

Brad

•••
I don't think that is the case.

This was referencing both my account email (which is not public) and customer number.

The source code also shows it is coming from secureserver.net, which is used by GoDaddy.

I am guessing there was some issue in their system, but I have no idea at the moment.

Brad

Hopefully just a system glitch and nothing nefarious.

Especially if the name referenced is the same in both emails.

•••
I got some more information on it.

Short version is that it is a system generated email on their end, and nothing to worry about.

I have a more detailed explanation, but I will leave it to Paul or Joe if they want to expand on it.

Brad

•••
Same here, with 1x .nl and 1x .org, during the last few weeks. The whois "Updated Date" changed as well at the same time. Not sure, but my guess was that it had something to do with automatically changing whois privacy settings by Godaddy, without me (or us, customers) asking them to do so. Domains were still in my Godaddy account. Have listed both domains again on Afternic without problems.

Last edited:
•••
Same here, with 1x .nl and 1x .org, during the last few weeks. The whois "Updated Date" changed as well at the same time. I think it has something to do with automatically changing whois privacy settings by Godaddy, without me (or us, customers) asking them to do so.
I ran into an issue yesterday and earlier today regarding their privacy changes, and a push not working properly. The entire privacy system right now is in flux.

I might open a separate thread on that subject as it appears GoDaddy has removed the "yes" and "no" options when pushing a domain, where the WHOIS information could be retained so the domain was not subject to the internal lock. It is a bit of an issue if that is the case going forward.

There needs to be a way to move domains between accounts without triggering an internal lock, or at least an easy way to remove it.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
There needs to be a way to move domains between accounts without triggering an internal lock, or at least an easy way to remove it.

At GoDaddy? In an utopian world maybe :)

Edit:
If you're paying them for your whois privacy they will force you to disable this on a push, triggering a lock. If you don't, they will update the registrant, triggering a lock. No opt out both scenarios.

Basically you're paying them to lock your domains. Insane.

Last edited:
•••
Yikes. I got two of these today from Godaddy.

•••
I got 3 similar emails from Godaddy an hour ago (below). I called Godaddy and was told that the three domains were the ones that I had just bought at clouseout today (right when the domains just hit $5). They said that their partner did it.

My account had three receipts showing, but the domains never showed up in the "won" section of the auction page.

I've had them do that before and the partner was blamed. Each domain's whois hasn't been updated for weeks so perhaps the partner saw the domain going for cheap and decided to take it back and wait for better day$.

I cut and pasted Godaddy's email to notepad and copied it to here:

GoDaddy
Need help? Contact us.
Customer Number:

Here's what we removed from your account.
When you cancel a product we remove it from your account and it's no longer renewable. Here's what we removed for you today:

.US Domain Transfer
(associated with: .________us)
Sign in to Your Account

We're here to help. And with the challenges everyone is facing, more than ever. So, if this removal was a mistake, or you need a hand with anything else, call our support team at 480-505-8877. You can also visit Online Help to get assistance.

•••
I had the exact same emails come through today for these domains.

hale.com
reez.com
klen.com
wuza.com
budu.com
ukno.com
geal.com

I don't own any of those names.

Something does seem a bit odd.

•••
I had the exact same emails come through today for these domains.

hale.com
reez.com
klen.com
wuza.com
budu.com
ukno.com
geal.com

I don't own any of those names.

Something does seem a bit odd.
I'm not so sure this is about the same issue with Godaddy, as the majority of these domains has a different registrar. Could you provide a little more context about what exactly happened to you?

Last edited:
•••
@Future Sensors mine were with another registrar also. And one was a CVCV.com, the other 4L.

The text of the email matches the OP.

The extent of this is concerning.

•••
Short version is that it is a system generated email on their end, and nothing to worry about.
I'm glad that the short version was so positive.

I really hope the long version takes away the mounting worries.

It wasn't only an email; whois was also updated.

Last edited:
•••
I'm glad that the short version was so positive.

I really hope the long version takes away the mounting worries.

It wasn't only an email; whois was also updated.
Hopefully someone at GoDaddy can explain the situation in more detail.

The domain I was emailed about had the following in the WHOIS, so it was not updated.

Registrar URL: http://www.register.com
Updated Date: 2022-04-25T15:38:40Z
Creation Date: 2002-04-25T18:19:03Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2023-04-25T18:19:03Z

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Aftermarket transactions are continuously audited to ensure we have the most up to date information and transactions available. It is not uncommon to find that some transactions in the aftermarket never completed, such as a stalled transfer to the buyer in over 30 days. When clearing these transactions, our system will automatically generate a cancelation email. The email you received does not mean that legitimate sales or purchases have been erroneously cancelled.

•••
But this is something new as reflected by the cluster of reports here within just a few days.

I don't recall this happening before, and the time span is well over a decade with Godaddy.

Of course I've seen this notification email in the past, but when it was warranted.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back