domains Has .io lost its shine?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact

Today someone asked me if I was interested in some .io domain names he was selling. They were just random LLL names no strong acronyms or anything like that. So I told him no and he asked me if the shine was off .io? I told him I really have not heard that much .io news in 2022. But I wanted to check the data for 2022. As we approach the halfway mark of 2022, .io sales along with .co are … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just as I finished reading your story @equity78, I received a notification email from AfterNIC that one of my .io's has sold for 4K. Coincidently, it's a random 3L:xf.grin:

•••
io lost nothing. all domain sales way down for most.

•••
Just as I finished reading your story @equity78, I received a notification email from AfterNIC that one of my .io's has sold for 4K. Coincidently, it's a random 3L:xf.grin:
Lol😀
Congratulations!

•••

make sure u go buy lotto today. random 3l.io are just that.. a lotto win and best avoided

•••
If dot com sales are down all other extensions are down.

As a domain investor I have never been more picky about my purchases.

•••
Big gz

•••
•••
Congratulations great timing

•••
Wow. What a timing. Congratulations!

•••

Congrats! A lucky article for you :)

•••
No respect for an extension that could lose out to ... xyz! )))

•••
•••
Many startups using .io but after a certain time and funding they go for .com, .com is still King.

•••
Had a .io domain sale last month

•••
.io will become popular again?

•••
Braden's sale of Raven.io should help things

•••
•••
I have big respect for .io, as it was that one domain extension, that start ups are / were able to use,
when alternatives in .com or .net were given away...

however, if reg. price for .io wouln't be $30+, I bet there would be a bigger market.

Last edited:
•••
.IO was always a bit strange to me.

•••
Io is great, io is intended for startups, tech, crypto, metaverse, web3 etc ..
Also it has a standard by renewal price

The sales recently are getting better.
And bigger than xyz

Last edited:
•••
I think .io will shine always for web (based) or related services or apps.

•••
I'd take .io over .xyz any day.

I check probably around 1000 websites daily for the names I am buying to see the real use cases and gauge a name's value (not to target anyone specifically, as from my experience current users are rarely the buyers, but just as a predictor that someone else might want the name in the future).

And if I see .io as taken, I pretty much can assume that it is developed (50%+), while if .xyz is taken it is pretty much 99%+ that is either a spammy site or someone who speculatively bought for $1/year.

So much so that I have pretty much even stopped checking those.

Few web3 developers while make an impressive case for reporting, are nothing in the global picture.

And, if anyone noticed, a big chunk of 4-5 figure sales reports for .xyz comes from one investor. While I am sure those are all genuine sales, it might just mean that she is well networked with the web3 communities (chats, discord, whatsapp etc.). I might be wrong of course, and possibly her 20k names are the best of the best of regular price premiums.

Regardless, once the web3 thing is oversaturated, .io will take over as #2 option for tech, unless there is a new contender.

•••
.io seems the tech extension.

•••
In my eyes, as for what I have observed, .io serves best for tools / functions, than websites.

What I mean is for example etherscan.io

You go there, you see at first glance what it does, you get to know the functions and can do your research.

So this is not a typical website, but a specific site for a specific task.
Which you cannot find somewhere else.

•••
Back