Dynadot

question Has an extension added value if it's also part of the name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JanO

This advertising space is for saleEstablished Member
Impact
Hi all,

Has an extension added value if it's also part of the name?
For example smartplug.in; you could also read it as smart plugin' / pluging.
I have several .in domains where this occurs and was wondering if they would also be valuable outside India due to this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They are called "hacks", it depends on the hack, but no matter what the .com, .net and .org versions will be more valuable.

•••
Thanks, now I know what term to use in my search queries #hacks

•••
Yes, the .in TLD works really well with domain hacks. In many ways I like it better than extensions like .al that also are used, since in general it is as a separate word that I think is cleaner. I have never bought or looked at buying .in domain names - can anyone own this country code or do you need some presence in India?

•••
Yes, the .in TLD works really well with domain hacks. In many ways I like it better than extensions like .al that also are used, since in general it is as a separate word that I think is cleaner. I have never bought or looked at buying .in domain names - can anyone own this country code or do you need some presence in India?

Till now anyone can register .in but according to @Ategy.com this might change. Haven't looked into it although I better should. Thanks for your reply.

Hello Jan .. and welcome to NamePros! :)

One word of caution regarding .in domains ... I seem to have seen somewhere that the requirements for .in have recently or will be soon changing so that you'll actually need an address in India to hold these. I'm not sure of how it is being enforced, although there are likely workarounds.

Take your time learning all these little things .. soooo much to learn when we start .. and lots of little bits of information that can truly change the value of a domain drastically.

Anyhow .. best of luck going forward! :)
https://www.namepros.com/threads/2-month-old-newbee.1053880/

•••
I *think* the requirement for .in has already changed .. even .us I *think* has changed .. not sure if any are enforced though .. I'd think it really depends TLD by TLD .. there is no rule of thumb .. depends on the government and laws and if/how they are enforced and by who ... might be one of those things where people can register .. but 6 months down the line they do an audit of their system and wipe out a bunch of domains .. don't think it's ever been done before .. but doesn't mean it can't happen .. I'd stay away from most ccTLD's with even a rumour of restrictions unless they are killer names you can flip relatively quick.

As for "hacks" .. I'm not too keen on them .. most will never sell .. but a small number could be really valuable .. check out this @DomainSherpa interview:

https://www.domainsherpa.com/max-guerin-claimclub/

•••
.IN has no restrictions in terms of presence in India, anyone can register them from around the world. The extension has been registered from over 200 countries. Yes, it works well as a hack as well, especially now for COIN and Crypto Coin domain endings. Introduced to public in 2005, many prior issues have been resolved, sure there are some restrictions in terms of usage of the domains - adult, gambling among them

See one of my posts on .IN
https://www.namepros.com/threads/my-recent-trip-to-india-in-usage.1038834/#post-6344517

Last edited:
•••
hacks were not limited to .in there is another good example of delicio.us which quite famous couple years ago

•••
Hi all,

I have several .in domains where this occurs and was wondering if they would also be valuable outside India due to this.

Good name that Jan. I let it drop a few weeks ago - totally accidental.

.IN domain registrations are not limited to those living (or having a presence) in India. It has never been that way as far as I can remember, and I've had a .in portfolio since 2007.

This rumor about needing Indian presence is probably just that, a rumor... but certainly not one that I've heard or read about anywhere. If anyone has any info on it, happy to listen and will do my best to verify.

•••

.IN domain registrations are not limited to those living (or having a presence) in India. It has never been that way as far as I can remember, and I've had a .in portfolio since 2007.

This rumor about needing Indian presence is probably just that, a rumor... but certainly not one that I've heard or read about anywhere. If anyone has any info on it, happy to listen and will do my best to verify.

.IN has presence from 228+ countries+terriotories together... its open for all. 100% global registration presence is there although its a primarily India's ccTLD.

•••
.IN has no restrictions in terms of presence in India, anyone can register them from around the world. The extension has been registered from over 200 countries. Yes, it works well as a hack as well, especially now for COIN and Crypto Coin domain endings. Introduced to public in 2005, many prior issues have been resolved, sure there are some restrictions in terms of usage of the domains - adult, gambling among them

See one of my posts on .IN
https://www.namepros.com/threads/my-recent-trip-to-india-in-usage.1038834/#post-6344517

That post is of great help @LeDomain , very insightful. Thanks a lot for sharing and notifying me!

•••

"Good name that Jan. I let it drop a few weeks ago - totally accidental."
Sorry to hear @RicoShay :/

•••
Hi all,

Although we all know the .com is most popular, I like smartplug.in. As a .com GoDaddy has it for sale for $3,599. I own 150 .today names that fit similar....here are a few,

FreePizza.today
YachtSale.today
HealthyChoice.today
Weigh.today
MarijuanaDeals.today

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back