Dynadot

advice Hand-reg domain Nameworth says 24.500 USD

NameSilo
Watch

S8Power

Established Member
Impact
Today I have registered a 12L two-word domainname in the food business.

WHOIS says:
- deleted and available again
- 2 changes on 2 unique name servers over 15 years

According to Nameworth this name has a Super Premium ranking of USD 24.500 but Estibot says its value is less than USD 100. Of course I do prefer Nameworth's valuation ;)

The name is clearly not a copyright infringement.
The reason I do not mention the name here is that I would like to search for (and claim) related names first.

My questions:
- where can I find out if there is something wrong with the name (status)?
- I understand that every valuation is only a wild guess. But does Nameworth has a good name in guessing the value of domainnames?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
let’s try @ Nameworth’s owner;

a guy; an industry pro i very much respect

@NameBuyer.com

•••
Sometimes you can catch domains like this, especially when they were deleted and re-registered, as opposed to true hang-reg domains that have not been registered in years. In some cases the retail value to the right business can be huge. I've had 2 sales in this range over the last 12 months (PlanToGrow(dot)com - Purchased in 2016 for $19.47 closeout and sold at $24,500 in March, fluux(dot)com - Purchased in 2017 for $130 and sold for $15,000 in August 2019). I also have a 3rd deal that is about to close for a $29,500 domain, that I purchased for $21 in 2007.

The key is, don't just trust any valuation without your own thinking as being a large part of the decision. NameWorth will find data points that resemble the same indicators in other domains from this price range. You should evaluate what kind of business model would buy this domain, and why the value might be so high in the valuation.

This is one of the main reasons that I've included all the detail below the valuations on the NameWorth site. Because you need to have the information to decide which one of the 4 scenarios applies to your domain valued in the $10,000-$29,999 range:

1. The domain has sufficient demand and the valuation is in-the-ballpark **.
  2. The domain has no current use and the result is a false-positive (most will be corrected by version 2.5), so the actual value could be significantly lower.
  3. The domain is a misspelling or foreign word, that may or may not have value. You would need to decide.
  4. For some reason, the domain is being undervalued either due to a word parsing issue or because there is an "exact match domain" value that is not yet being use in the valuation (this will be added by version 3.0, currently at 2.0).

Scenario 1. The domain has sufficient demand and the valuation is in-the-ballpark **.

Here are some good examples of this.

Let's take a look at the results for fluux(dot)com. If you enlarge the results, you can see that all the green highlighted domains registered and "Similar Active Sites" would most likely want to own fluux(dot)com, so I'd say this was pretty accurate, and it was fairly easy to come to an agreement at $15,000.

upload_2020-7-31_1-57-47.png

Next, let's take a look at another good example. For PlanToGrow(dot)com, you can see similar results. There are 3 active websites that I highlighted in green, which match the other extensions taken, and the domain is also taken in 3 other extensions. The additional domain GamePlanToGrow(dot)com was highlighted in orange, because it's not truly a direct match to our name. So if you see something like this, where most of the results are matching the "brand" of our domain, then I'd also say the estimate is likely pretty accurate.

upload_2020-7-31_2-6-31.png

Scenario 2. The domain has no current use and the result is a false-positive, so the actual value could be significantly lower.

A great example of a false positive is Onyol(dot)com. It's a 5 character domain I purchased, because I see continued demand for brandables. If you look at the results, I've highlighted all of the entries in red that are not true matches, which in this case...was all of the suggestions. This is clearly a false-positive. I don't believe the $24,500 price is in the realm of possibility, but I did buy the domain and put a price of $7,450 on the domain. I sold the domain usist(dot)com at a very similar price in the last 12 months.

upload_2020-7-31_2-34-5.png

Scenario 3. The domain is a misspelling or foreign word, that may or may not have value. You would need to decide.

I've had a very good example of this earlier this month. I received an offer of $5k for zakup(dot)com. The word means "lease" translated from Ukranian and "purchase" when translated from Polish. The word has a high amount of use and is registered in 25 extensions. There are at least 10 other similar active websites or domains found. This case is really rare, where NameWorth comes back with a valuation of $94,500. If it was an English word, or even an English slang term or brand, this price would likely be very accurate (For example, aptum(dot)com shows as $85k, and Mike Mann sold it last year for around $94k), but most of the current sites for zakup tend to be from Russia, Ukraine, and Poland. So what is the value now? This takes a lot of research and analysis to figure out the right answer. In my case, I'm not reducing the price from the current $24,500.

upload_2020-7-31_3-54-48.png

Scenario 4. For some reason, the domain is being undervalued either due to a word parsing issue or because there is an "exact match domain" value that is not yet being use in the valuation (this will be added by version 3.0, currently at 2.0).

Rick's domain ACRepair(dot)com is a great example for this scenario. This is the most rare situation that occurs. At times, when a domain is spelled in multiple different ways like this name (A/C repair, AC repair, Air Conditioning Repair, etc) yet there is a high commercial usability and value for the domain, the value may be understated. As you can see in the green highlights there are many sites (yet most low traffic), for ACRepair, 28 other extensions taken, and over 1,800 estimated similar domains. This issue is pretty clear-cut and will be corrected in version 3.0. Most likely the domain will end up at $500k or more. If the domain is valued at $750k or more, that would still make it in-the-ballpark ** of the actual sales price.

upload_2020-7-31_3-54-8.png

Summary
I appreciate you using NameWorth. Personally I use the tool everyday. By version 3.0, most of the false positives will be removed and it will become more and more accurate in time, but it is still important for us to do a little research to ensure there is adequate demand for each domain we purchase. Especially if we expect the domain to sell in the Tier 1 or Tier 2 price range. If we are honest about the data that we're seeing, you'll be able to easily classify your valuation in 1 of the 4 scenarios above. If you do that, you'll make a much more informed purchase (or sale).

** In-the-ballpark is what I've come to define as when the sold price of the domain is somewhere between half of the NameWorth value, to double the NameWorth value. The point of valuations are to give you a starting point and you can adjust that up or down depending on the current market for the domain, demand, and as well as the buyer's/seller's needs.

Last edited:
•••
Just wow.
I will read your post carefully and will post my reflections afterwards.

Last edited:
•••
And if you don't know what type of businesses make money online, this is a good video summary. Because if you have an idea of how a customer is currently making money, and which directions they may be headed, you can better estimate how much the domain may be worth according to their needs.

Some of Dan's videos are a little gimmicky, but he has some outstanding videos out there as well, that will get the point across quickly and help you think differently about things.

•••
Well my domain keylibrary.com is gold tier over 34,000,00 dollars in nameworth. Im sure I cant get even quater of it.

•••
And if you don't know what type of businesses make money online, this is a good video summary. Because if you have an idea of how a customer is currently making money, and which directions they may be headed, you can better estimate how much the domain may be worth according to their needs.

Some of Dan's videos are a little gimmicky, but he has some outstanding videos out there as well, that will get the point across quickly and help you think differently about things.

Hi, I tried using NameWorth to valuate my domain name and it never come up with any result.

It just says

"Processing your request for domain.com
Estimating Wait Time.."

And that is it...

•••
What does Dotible say about price?

( Link in my signature below)

•••
Hi, I tried using NameWorth to valuate my domain name and it never come up with any result.

It just says

"Processing your request for domain.com
Estimating Wait Time.."

And that is it...
same here

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back