IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

prague7

NameTopic.comEstablished Member
Impact
Ooer - this one's going to run for a while... :O

From DomainNameNews:
SnapNames User Name “Halvarez” Was Nelson Brady, VP of Engineering Bidding on Domain Names [Updated]
[Updated] According to a statement from Oversee.net’s SnapNames, an employee was found to have bid in 5% of their auctions since 2005 and in some cases arranged for a partial refund of the sales price after winning an auction. DNN also confirmed the bidder as Nelson Brady, the VP of Engineering. He was bidding under the username “halvarez”.

From Snapnames:
SnapNames User Name “Halvarez” Was Employee Bidding on Domain Names
To avoid any question about whether the company benefited from this conduct, SnapNames will offer a rebate to impacted customers, including 5.22% interest (the highest applicable federal rate during the affected time period), of the difference between the prices they paid in winning auctions, and the prices they would have paid had the employee not bid in the auctions. Impacted customers will be notified by SnapNames or its representative with instructions for the offer of a rebate.

SnapNames also has taken further action to ensure its policies regarding auctions are followed, and the company remains committed to taking whatever action is necessary to protect the integrity of its auction platform.

SnapNames deeply regrets this situation and is committed to addressing its customers’ needs quickly and fairly.

There's also a FAQ page at Snapnames

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have a list from RUST 3 pages long!!

But no way to confirm its accuracy....

•••
I have a list from RUST 3 pages long!!

But no way to confirm its accuracy....

Bummer, don't accept it, I would'nt if I thought alot of money was involved.

•••
A quick word of warning:

Don't sign anything from RUST/SNAPNAMES/OVERSEE or any other agents until everything has been made crstal clear!

Remember the horrors of Bhopal, sleaze ridden lawyers were on the spot within hours getting people to sign away their rights for a few measly dollars, people who would latter be crippled with illness and pain, some of whom would die because of the explosion. Well anyone who signs a waiver agreement now will be losing big time when the truth does eventually come out!

Please note I do not personally equate Bhopal and this incident as similar in any way except that suddenly the perpetrator or the one with legal responsibility suddenly got very active offering peanuts without those affected being able to realise their true losses.

It may also be of interest to certain members to know that suspected tax fraud can be reported to the IRS by using IRS 'Form 3949-A' a copy of which is available as a PDF file online - this form can be used to report both individuals and companies.

Last edited:
•••
Rust Consulting certainly seem experienced in "Class Action Settlement administration"(as it says on their website). However, I doubt if they've ever had a group like this to deal with before. The domainer ("victim")group would be unusual in that many are linked and discussing everything right now on this and other forums. Some of us are switching back and forth between several forums. If all information continues to be pooled then there's less chance of anything being swept under the rug.

If those of you who have already received communications from Rust continue to request / demand that the Order History is re-instated then maybe Snapnames will finally do something about it. This aspect of the whole thing is just so insulting. "Trust us, trust us"...

•••
SNAPNAMES.com SCAMMERS - MONIKER.com - WARNING

Here's lame email i received. I'm not going to accept any decision they decide on!

Good Afternoon ,

Thank you for your email.

If you were affected by the inappropriate bidding, you will receive an email communication with detailed records, auction by auction, from Rust Consulting, the third party hired by the company to administer the rebates. The communication will be sent out later this week to all affected customers to their email address on file with SnapNames. If you do not receive a communication from Rust Consulting, none of your domain purchases or bidding was impacted by these events. If you do not receive the communication from Rust Consulting but believe you were affected please contact them at 888-413-5338 after November 5th.

Thank you,

Jonathan

•••
I received my offer letter today - total rebate less than $50. My personal loss was not substantial but it is evident HAlvarez often appeared in auctions in 2008 and into early 2009. Checking my history I see a case where his bidding cost the winner of SouthFlorida.net (Lightning) over $1000 December 28, 2008 and cost me $5 on an auction in March 29th, 2009 (GamerMarket.com). I also see him present in an auction I won April 4, 2009 (Reparar.net) but he did not bid.

•••
He was definitely involved in 2009 - I noticed him on a few auctions in which I participated in July. I didn't win and he didn't bid high, but he was still there.

•••
Im amazed that they are so keen to resolve the whole matter as soon as possible, this should be a red flag straight away.

Obviously people must weigh up taking money now, or waiting for an investigation. Surely this is a criminal matter, and propper procedure needs to be followed.

Just sending out an email saying we will pay you, what we think is fair as soon as possible is not in any way satisfactory IMO. I believe this matter should be sorted out by a judge, at the very minimum.

I certainly would not let Oversee be the "judge" of how things go down.

•••
However, I doubt if they've ever had a group like this to deal with before. The domainer ("victim")group would be unusual in that many are linked and discussing everything right now on this and other forums. Some of us are switching back and forth between several forums.

All the talk in the forums helps zero percent. There's about a 99% chance that Snapnames will get away with this fraud. The major news media does not care since it won't help viewership to run a story about some dull domainer scam.

That leaves only one choice, class action lawsuit with big guns for attorneys. Otherwise, welcome to You're ScrewedVille™. IMO.

•••
Brady is only 1 part of the picture.

I will tell you the real secret no one has mentioned : Brady also enlisted drop catchers like Answerable to shill bid.

That is why Snapnames only found 1 account tied to Brady. There are actually many more tied to drop catchers that Nelson Brady organized. Snapnames enlisted and worked with the big drop catchers to ramp up the price. Each drop catcher (registrar) had multiple accounts.

For those investigating for a class action, that's my two cents. Follow the $$. The drop catchers (registrars) had the most to gain.

•••

I will tell you the real secret no one has mentioned : Brady also enlisted drop catchers like Answerable to shill bid.

That is why Snapnames only found 1 account tied to Brady. There are actually many more tied to drop catchers that Nelson Brady organized. Snapnames enlisted and worked with the big drop catchers to ramp up the price. Each drop catcher (registrar) had multiple accounts.

For those investigating for a class action, that's my two cents.

Very interesting thought - do you have more information that you can share with regards to that claim? (I am not saying you are wrong at all, I am just genuinely seeking information).

•••
Im amazed that they are so keen to resolve the whole matter as soon as possible, this should be a red flag straight away.

Obviously people must weigh up taking money now, or waiting for an investigation. Surely this is a criminal matter, and propper procedure needs to be followed.

Just sending out an email saying we will pay you, what we think is fair as soon as possible is not in any way satisfactory IMO. I believe this matter should be sorted out by a judge, at the very minimum.

I certainly would not let Oversee be the "judge" of how things go down.
Of course if they didn't move quickly, everyone would be screaming at how slowly they were taking action. We'd all be hearing, "Where the hell's my money?!!"

There's a fine line between being responsive and seeming like you're trying to sweep things under the rug, I guess. Good luck to them trying to tread it...

•••
All the talk in the forums helps zero percent. There's about a 99% chance that Snapnames will get away with this fraud. The major news media does not care since it won't help viewership to run a story about some dull domainer scam.

That leaves only one choice, class action lawsuit with big guns for attorneys. Otherwise, welcome to You're ScrewedVille™. IMO.

This is how it's looking isn't it? They sling you $50 and make you waive a law suit, then they drag Brady through the courts and claim millions off him, and somehow end up ahead on the whole deal?

AMAZING!

It dosnt matter if some one stole $50, $5000, or $5,000,000 off you, fraud is fraud.

•••

For those investigating for a class action, that's my two cents. Follow the $$. The drop catchers (registrars) had the most to gain.

Cant wait to hear Nelson's side of the Story.... "I was guilty" But you should hear what the "Other Guys" were/are doing!!D-:

•••

I did mention the possibility of partner registrars doing the same as they also gain from higher sales but unless there is some proof then its just speculation.....or paranoia :O

<< REMOVED AS NOT NEEDED ANYMORE >>

Last edited:
•••
This is how it's looking isn't it? They sling you $50 and make you waive a law suit...

Yes. Sadly, that's their plan and it looks like it's working 100% as drawn up in the boardroom. Every time someone accepts a payoff, it takes a little more ammunition away from the remaining victims of this fraud. IMO.

•••
I don't have any axes to grind here. I seldom use these services unless it is something I really like. With me it is, more than anything a realization that the whole drop/aftermarket auction system is IMO totally flawed.

But I decided it might be good to post something here that I posted to our Skype chat.

If the offer makes you feel (as of today) compensated for any harm these actions may have caused then by all means take it and move on. On the other hand if you are willing to take a gamble (and may have to wait years) on something more then...

Snap may or may not survive but the one thing for certain is nothing will change as the whole auction system is flawed and rest assured that should Snap go under there will be another just as bad or maybe even worse to fill the greed void.

I don't care if it is some guy standing on a hay wagon selling an estate, selling high priced art in a room with gold plated light fixtures, eBay, or any other internet auction the same $hit happens and there is no way to stop it. You have to realize this and act accordingly.

It is likely plans are already being made over at Nothing but Junk.

•••
Let's clarify things a bit.

Nelson Brady = Snapnames

This effort to separate and put the blame on one man is bullshit. They are one and the same. That is why I hold Snapnames responsible. Snapnames profited from the shill bidding and fraud.

Why is Oversee putting up smokescreen? I will tell you why. Oversee bought Snapnames in 2007. That is why they only admit to fraud before 2007. They want to point the blame on the original team. But that is not possible because Snapnames kept these guys on until a few weeks ago and let them run the business. Snapnames continued to shill bid after 2007. We even have screenshots of that on DNF.

So Snapnames has criminal liability for the fraud.

•••
Yes. Sadly, that's their plan and it looks like it's working 100% as drawn up in the boardroom. Every time someone accepts a payoff, it takes a little more ammunition away from the remaining victims of this fraud. IMO.
If the amount that someone is offered by Snapnames is actually the amount that that person lost out on due to this fraud, there's no reason they shouldn't accept it. Sure, the whole situation sucks, and we all feel duped, but it doesn't mean you suddenly deserve more money than you actually lost.

If, on the other hand, you're pretty sure you're owed more than what you're being offered, wait until all the bidding history has been made available and see what else comes out.

And then there are those who lost out on domains that they might have won if they hadn't been won by halvarez. What's owed to these bidders will be much harder to calculate, and if there's a lawsuit, I'd say these are the folks who stand to gain the most from waiting for that.

•••
I don't know anyone who has accepted their settlement.

This case will get prosecuted.

•••
There's been a lot happening today and I wanted to give the forum an update. I'm posting here and on some other boards to reach as many clients as possible.

There’s been quite a bit of back-and-forth here and other places about access to SnapNames bidding and order history. The truncated system, which limits view to the 24 months prior to whatever date the lookup is being performed, has been in place for the past four years, since June 2005. This was not changed recently or in response to the recent announcement.

That aside, to make sure no one thinks there’s an attempt to shield data, our technical staff is adjusting the existing system so order and bid histories are available back to August 2004, when SnapNames instituted the auction platform. We are working on that change now.

I'll post more when I know more.

Thanks.

Rob
Oversee Support

•••
There's been a lot happening today and I wanted to give the forum an update. I'm posting here and on some other boards to reach as many clients as possible.

There’s been quite a bit of back-and-forth here and other places about access to SnapNames bidding and order history. The truncated system, which limits view to the 24 months prior to whatever date the lookup is being performed, has been in place for the past four years, since June 2005. This was not changed recently or in response to the recent announcement.

That aside, to make sure no one thinks there’s an attempt to shield data, our technical staff is adjusting the existing system so order and bid histories are available back to August 2004, when SnapNames instituted the auction platform. We are working on that change now.

I'll post more when I know more.

Thanks.

Rob
Oversee Support

Thanks Rob - people will feel much better for it

•••
If the amount that someone is offered by Snapnames is actually the amount that that person lost out on due to this fraud, there's no reason they shouldn't accept it.

Sorry, but this is perhaps the worse possible attitude that someone could take if they hope to prevent this type of widespread fraud from happening in the future.

In addition, as many here understand there is no way to determine the extent of the actual losses.

•••
It is open season for duck hunting.

The entire Brady Bunch is online - courtesy of their campaign contributions. These days you can't commit a crime and get away. It's all on the internet.

Howard Nelson Brady (Snapnames)
Oversee.net, VP Operations
13311 SE Rivercrest Drive
Vancouver, WA 96683

http://images.nictusa.com/showimg/28590.gif
VANCOUVER WA 98683 - $162,245 in Political Contributions for 2008

Nice $661,000 House Nelson. Guess you won't be living in it for too long once this whole thing blows over.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=13311...19,-122.535099&spn=0.001873,0.004823&t=h&z=18
http://www.zillow.com/homes/map/13311-SE-Rivercrest-Drive-Vancouver,-WA-96683_rb/

But wait, there is Oversee.net! They have $200 million! Let's go after them!

UPDATE: FROM PEOPLEDATA

http://www.peopledata.com/results.php?sname=howard brady&state=WA&city=&name_style=1

Name HOWARD N BRADY
Date of Birth 1956
Address 13311 RIVERCREST DR, VANCOUVER, WA 98683
Phone Number 360-254-5211

(AND YES, I AM MAKING IT A PERSONAL CRUSADE TO BRING THIS GUY TO JUSTICE)

Last edited:
•••
Snapnames are behaving like school boys. Something that we all have known for years, they have just discovered today! Don’t lecture me about your honesty, man!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back