Watch

Centauri

Established Member
Impact
Hey,

now that GPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) is so hyped,
and news GPT .com sold for over $40k,
chatgpt.com valued at $29 bio. recently,

its maybe time to have a small but dedicated thread for GPT.

Do you own any names?

chat-gpt-examples.jpg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Sounds like a licensing deal? I haven't seen any headlines mention that. They usually announce at the time of the first announcement. "JPM partnering with OPENAI to create IndexGPT" something like that. It's not out of the question but hopefully this is not the case. Everything i seen has been something like "ChatGPT rival".

Some GPT-based services are indeed working with OpenAI (e.g., SlackGPT), but others are not (e.g., BloombergGPT).

As a terms-of-service matter, OpenAI recently began a "branding policy" that requires its API customers to agree that they won't use "GPT" in their product/service names. That's really a contract issue rather than a trademark issue, so presumably just using another company's GPT foundation as the engine for one's new website/service wouldn't raise that issue. There are other providers of GPT base models, but of course OpenAI's GPTs are the most popular...

Regarding the trademark issue: on May 25th, the USPTO rejected OpenAI's application to trademark the term, saying that it's descriptive and generic. However, it's a "non-final" rejection and so OpenAI can still try to change the Examiner's mind...

Last edited:
•••
Some GPT-based services are indeed working with OpenAI (e.g., SlackGPT), but others are not (e.g., BloombergGPT).

As a terms-of-service matter, OpenAI recently began a "branding policy" that requires its API customers to agree that they won't use "GPT" in their product/service names. That's really a contract issue rather than a trademark issue, so presumably just using another company's GPT foundation as the engine for one's new website/service wouldn't raise that issue. There are other providers of GPT base models, but of course OpenAI's GPTs are the most popular...

Regarding the trademark issue: on May 25th, the USPTO rejected OpenAI's application to trademark the term, saying that it's descriptive and generic. However, it's a "non-final" rejection and so OpenAI can still try to change the Examiner's mind...

Wow. That seems pretty significant. Interestingly, the law firm that OpenAI is using claims to be one of the top intellectual property firms in the US. But the trademark claim for GPT still got rejected. As @matemp noted, this is an appealable decision but you have to think if it was an easy claim then these top IP attorneys would have been able to secure the TM already.

Are there any IP lawyers on here who can give us odds of OpenAI prevailing on appeal?

I still can't post links but someone posted a link to the USPTO action letter in a different thread. Here are some excerpts from the letter:

"Registration is refused because the applied-for mark merely describes a feature, function, or
characteristic of applicant’s goods and services. Trademark Act Section 2(e)(1), 15 U.S.C. §1052(e)(1);
see TMEP §§1209.01(b), 1209.03 et seq."

An abbreviation, initialism, or acronym is merely descriptive when it is generally understood as
“substantially synonymous” with the descriptive words it represents."

"In the present case, the attached evidence shows that applicant’s mark “GPT” is an acronym for the
wording “generative pre-trained transformer.” According to the attached definitions from Merriam-
Webster Dictionary, "GENERATIVE" means having the power or function of generating, originating,
producing, or reproducing," "PRE-TRAINED" means to "train in advance," and "TRANSFORMER"
means "one that transforms." Further, the attached Internet evidence demonstrates such wording is
commonly used in applicant's industry to refer to a particular type of software featuring artificial
intelligence (AI) that generates responses based on a pool of pre-existing resources that the software
uses to generate its responses to user questions."
And finally:
"In addition to being merely descriptive, the applied-for mark appears to be generic in connection with
the identified goods and/or services. “A generic mark, being the ‘ultimate in descriptiveness,’ cannot
acquire distinctiveness” and thus is not entitled to registration on either the Principal or Supplemental
Register under any circumstances."

•••
I'm a bit behind in owning GPT domains, but I managed to register a few.
MultipleGPT .com
GPTvine .com
ShadeGPT .com
PassageGPT .com

Thanks.

•••
GPTchats .com wholesale. Cheers.

•••
Wow. That seems pretty significant. Interestingly, the law firm that OpenAI is using claims to be one of the top intellectual property firms in the US. But the trademark claim for GPT still got rejected. As @matemp noted, this is an appealable decision but you have to think if it was an easy claim then these top IP attorneys would have been able to secure the TM already.

Are there any IP lawyers on here who can give us odds of OpenAI prevailing on appeal?

I still can't post links but someone posted a link to the USPTO action letter in a different thread. Here are some excerpts from the letter:

"Registration is refused because the applied-for mark merely describes a feature, function, or
characteristic of applicant’s goods and services. Trademark Act Section 2(e)(1), 15 U.S.C. §1052(e)(1);
see TMEP §§1209.01(b), 1209.03 et seq."

An abbreviation, initialism, or acronym is merely descriptive when it is generally understood as
“substantially synonymous” with the descriptive words it represents."

"In the present case, the attached evidence shows that applicant’s mark “GPT” is an acronym for the
wording “generative pre-trained transformer.” According to the attached definitions from Merriam-
Webster Dictionary, "GENERATIVE" means having the power or function of generating, originating,
producing, or reproducing," "PRE-TRAINED" means to "train in advance," and "TRANSFORMER"
means "one that transforms." Further, the attached Internet evidence demonstrates such wording is
commonly used in applicant's industry to refer to a particular type of software featuring artificial
intelligence (AI) that generates responses based on a pool of pre-existing resources that the software
uses to generate its responses to user questions."
And finally:
"In addition to being merely descriptive, the applied-for mark appears to be generic in connection with
the identified goods and/or services. “A generic mark, being the ‘ultimate in descriptiveness,’ cannot
acquire distinctiveness” and thus is not entitled to registration on either the Principal or Supplemental
Register under any circumstances."
That letter is official? If so, that is good news for us investors. You can post the link, but just put a space at the .com, for example:

blablabla (space) .com/blablabla

Last edited:
•••
Big gpt sale for me $20k… will give more info once finalized but the payment has already been made

•••
That letter is official? If so, that is good news for us investors. You can post the link, but just put a space at the .com, for example:

blablabla (space) .com/blablabla

Here's the USPTO response letter. Note that it is appealable so nothing is final at this point.

tsdr. uspto. gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn97733259&docId=NFIN20230525093517#docIndex=0&page=1

•••
RevivalGPT .com
CashoutGPT .com

•••
Here's the USPTO response letter. Note that it is appealable so nothing is final at this point.

tsdr. uspto. gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn97733259&docId=NFIN20230525093517#docIndex=0&page=1
gpt-uspto1.png

gpt-uspto2.png

•••
Just picked up for my financial block:

BullmarketGPT.com
BearmarketGPT.com

IndexfundGPT.com
GPTindexfund.com
IndexfundsGPT.com
GPTindexfunds.com

LargecapGPT.com
ShortsellingGPT.com
HighyieldGPT.com
DerivativeGPT.com

GPTnestegg.com
NesteggGPT.com
WinpokerGPT.com

Last edited:
•••
So with the ongoing chatgpt trademark filing - do you have any experience with registrars outside the US that might not receive openai’s threat letters that immediately - or at all …? I am very respectful of any regulations, but given the unclear situation, registering with a f.e. latam service might be the better choice for some contested domains.

•••
Just picked up for my financial block:

BullmarketGPT.com
BearmarketGPT.com

IndexfundGPT.com
GPTindexfund.com
IndexfundsGPT.com
GPTindexfunds.com

LargecapGPT.com
ShortsellingGPT.com
HighyieldGPT.com
DerivativeGPT.com

GPTnestegg.com
NesteggGPT.com
WinpokerGPT.com
promptedGPT.com

ChattingGPT.com
GPTchatting.com

TaskmanagerGPT.com
GPTtaskmanager.com

GPThomeoffice.com
homeofficeGPT.com

gymnasticGPT.com
physGPT.com

GPTarchive.com
GPTmemory.com
GPTinfos.com
GPTpayment.com

•••
I have ShotGPT.com & EvoGPT.com

I have sent several emails and private messages to several companies, and received a response to EvoGPT.com from a banking company. but haven't gotten any further.

I am less experienced in outbound.

what is the right way to outbound?

•••
Thanks to @MustaAras I was able to sell:

GPT payment .com /
GPT memory .com

to 2 different buyers.

Thank you so much Musta!

I also hold:

BiasedGPT .com
CheatsGPT .com

Last edited:
•••
•••
Have GPTchats.com Reduced the price but having second thoughts now. Lol.

•••
1685757083181.png

Hey there! Just wanted to let you know that I've registered this name. Videography is expected to become super popular in the AI tech field, so I believe it has the potential to bring in some great returns. Thanks for your understanding!

•••
I believe that the pricing for GPTmemory and GPTpayment might be a bit too low, but congratulations nonetheless!🙏🙏
Totally.

Those domains are on sale, means, discounted at this very time.

If buyers resell them for 10x, or 50x, I am more than happy for them.

You can also use the domains very good for SEO activities / org. traffic, if you already run a site.

It might be, I uprise prices again...

•••
Next to TM on or TM off there is also a 3rd possibility that can happen:

Due to the fact, that this technology & its term is so wide spread & has general public interest,
the court could rule, that a synthese of TM / not TM usage should be made:

Websites, being subscribed to OpenAIs LLM, could use GPT in their website name.

Websites, using other LLMs than OpenAIs ChatGPT / GPt4, for ex. Bard, StableDiffusion, etc.
could may not use GPT in their domain names.

That is something that could easily happen.

You see, that OpenAI is (atm) ok with it, when you call your APP or website:

App X / Website X powered by GPT4.

Means, OpenAi has nothing against it, when you use GPT in your brand / app name,
but you should use it with an 'powered by'.

This is the current situation.

https://openai.com/brand

We'll see how this spins out.

Good luck to us all.

•••
Registered DangerousGPT.com (surprised this was available)

Also what should I price my gpt domains?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Next to TM on or TM off there is also a 3rd possibility that can happen:

Due to the fact, that this technology & its term is so wide spread & has general public interest,
the court could rule, that a synthese of TM / not TM usage should be made:

Websites, being subscribed to OpenAIs LLM, could use GPT in their website name.

Websites, using other LLMs than OpenAIs ChatGPT / GPt4, for ex. Bard, StableDiffusion, etc.
could may not use GPT in their domain names.

That is something that could easily happen.

You see, that OpenAI is (atm) ok with it, when you call your APP or website:

App X / Website X powered by GPT4.

Means, OpenAi has nothing against it, when you use GPT in your brand / app name,
but you should use it with an 'powered by'.

This is the current situation.

https://openai.com/brand

We'll see how this spins out.

Good luck to us all.
I think realistic is, that openAI will have 'jurisdiction' over companies, who have subscribed to openAI API (for $).

If they behave good, and obey openAIs Terms and Conditions, they may be granted the right to call them self .....GPT.

As to what about other companies, that do not use openAI API, but still want to call them self ....GPT:
They will have a hard time.

That's what I think.

In the end it relies on 2 things:
Are you customer of OpenAI,
Do you pay?!
Do you obey the rules?!

Simple as that.

Good luck to anyone, still possible to make () money on this niche....

•••
Luckily, I have registered early many GPT domains, And sold total 3 GPT domain high xxx.
Today i received one more offer on my GPT domain, Let's see if this make my highest GPT sale.

But GPT domains still hot & selling, i don't know why! But one thing i noticed my GPT domains visits more than other domains.

•••
Luckily, I have registered early many GPT domains, And sold total 3 GPT domain high xxx.
Today i received one more offer on my GPT domain, Let's see if this make my highest GPT sale.

But GPT domains still hot & selling, i don't know why! But one thing i noticed my GPT domains visits more than other domains.
You got good marketing skills 😀

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back