Domain Empire

registries Google Wins The new gTLD .APP For $25 Million

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The new gTLD .APP sold for $25 Million to Google today in a ICANN Last Resort Auction which I think is very good news for the new gTLD program in general.
This is the highest price paid in an ICANN Last Resort Auction.
The previously high price paid for a new gTLD in an ICANN Last Resort Auction was $6,760,000 which was paid by Radix for .Tech.
Radix was also a bidder for .APP
.APP had the largest number of new gTLD applicants of all new gTLD’s.
Full Article: http://www.thedomains.com/2015/02/26/google-wins-the-new-gtld-app-for-25-million/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I did not know there are .app coming in. lol

Thanks a lot for the info!

•••
chump change for google, im glad apple didn't get it

•••
Does any one know when this .app will be available for registration?

•••
I would say that there is going to be way too much hype regarding .app. .io is pretty much favored for startups. And .co has been a good choice for app developers too. You also have to consider the fact that .co allows developers to go beyond the app and expand. I think (and this is only a personal opinion) that .app would be too narrow.

•••
deleted

Last edited:
•••
Well.. That might be the end of the .app hype. :P Shall we all go back to .co? lol

•••
I think it's one of their fake articles.

•••
I think it's one of their fake articles.
Thanks @tomcarl, you are right. I was reading news on another (normally) reliable domain site, where they reposted that article, so I thought it was the real deal. Though it did seem like really unlikely news, so I should have looked further into it, considering the original source.

•••
good news for app developers, now they don't need that big pockets for tht .com's

•••
good news for app developers, now they don't need that big pockets for tht .com's

but you don't know what it will cost to register a .app. It could be $1 / year or it could be $500 / year. It's up to Google now. :/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back