Dynadot

Google scares me

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

999names

Account Closed
Impact
More and more everyday I hear Google and Amazon applying for top level domains like .app .lol .law .inc .law .smile
It scares me because of the unknown. Because of the unlimited amount of tlds flooding the market. However, what I am concerned about the most is what Google, Apple and Amazon have said they might do with their approved tlds. They want to give them away for free.
So for example if Google wins extension .inc it wants to give it out for free.

This scares me since nothing like that has ever happened to the domain market. Would dot com become the next myspace? Is this where the curve of the dot com sales would resemble more of the crash of pets dot com or will it resemble the pinnacle of Google.

I don't know where this is taking us BUT I know giving out free domains to people by companies with DEEP POCKETS like Apple and Google will for sure kill dot com after a few years because a new generation of domainers and kids will come to view dot com as old fashioned and dusty. The cool thing would or could then be .web or dot app.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You know, when you give something for free, the recipients won't be as respectful as they would had they paid hard cash.
Free domains already exist: .tk, not to mention the subdomains like .co.cc which by the way was banned from Google for some time (because there was too much crap in it as a whole). The others don't have a good reputation either. For instance, while .info is not free, it is cheap the first year and for that reason it's got a bad rep in terms of spam etc.
Clearly not namespaces where you want to have your business. So the recipe to kill an extension is easy: make it free or cheap so you will attract spammers and cheapskates, who are definitely not going to enhance the extension with outstanding development efforts.

The only thing that would shake .com would be established names moving away en masse to other TLDs, possibly their own. I do not see that happening.

While the supply of domain names in any given extension is infinite, the number of string (extensions) is not infinite. In other words, it's not like there could be an extension for every end user.

I will continue to invest in .com and the ccTLDs which of course follow their own course.

•••
Don't get scared, google will apply a some-type of rules like "We can remove your domain at any time for any reason or without reason" :)

If you want to purchase a product then can you trust on a example.freetld?

•••
I agree and this topic came to me after reading Frank's seven mile blog which indicates we have reached the high water mark in the dot com space. For someone that has more than 400 000 thousand domains like Frank to say something like this is revolutionary. I guess I just didn't want google in the domain business bc God knows what a company like GOOGLE can do to the domain market particularly dot com.

•••
Frank is full of it, way too many groupies in this industry. Realize it's in his financial interest for people to eat up what he's putting out. Buck up, stop worrying.

•••
I had read the blog Frank's seven mile and not so much satisfied with it . It is just to promote their product.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back