IT.COM

Google Removes Domains From Search

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
According to SearchEngineJournal.com Google is continuing to test search results without showing the entire domain. The website name (keywords) is shown, but not the extension. By doing so this could possibly create new trends in the domain investing niche. The article goes on to quote a Reddit user saying:

“I don’t think this is going to change much in terms of SEO, it just removes one factor that separated good content from good ranking. This is going to normalize the perception of users between traditional tld’s and modern tld’s because they cant subconsciously decide whether or not to click on something based on the perceived trustworthiness of the URL.

I think that fundamentally it is a good thing for new domains trying to get into a niche. this is going to devalue the perceived “vanity” of any particular url, which is good in a climate where basically any URL is taken.”

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-is-testing-search-results-without-urls/329465/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
it's funny, not going to happen. The world of the internet is based on domain names, it will be super confusing if g**gle tries to hide them.

time for new search engine. :)

Edit: g**gle is a tool to find files on the Internet. So are they going to list files without context url? bad idea.

Last edited:
•••
I switched to DuckDuckGo and very happy.

yeah, but DuckDuckGo is using the data from Google.
You are still giving money to Google when you use DuckDuckGo.

DuckDuckGo is merely en extension of Google.
Under the hood, DuckDuckGo and Google is the same stuff.
I do understand that the average internet-user does not recognize this.

You might be a little bit more anonymous when using DuckDuckGo, compared to using Google directly.
But you are not escaping from Google, when you are using DuckDuckGo.

Same story is with the "FireFox"-browser.
FireFox is literally a Google-browser, same as the Chrome-browser.
Google was/is funding the Mozilla-Foundation with several hundreds of million $$$

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwor...n-competition-in-the-firefox-os/#67cc57bf35c5

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-firefox-search-deal-gives-mozilla-more-money-to-push-privacy/

Last edited:
•••
Google are clearly pushing for a Web that is basically just an extension of Google. AMP was and continues to be the prime example of this, but this is just another step towards the ultimate goal. I suspect ultimately it will fail, but it's sad that they want to undermine the beautiful fragmentation and independence of the Internet.

Last edited:
•••
So... anybody else has been experiening search results not showing URLs lately? I was investigating a lead/offer today and it's a right mess when the URLs are not showing up.

Added: They also decided it was a good idea to start showing the Favicon in front of the title. It's horrific. Total pollution of the search results.

Somebody aware of a petition of some sorts to roll this back/quit testing?

Last edited:
•••
yeah, but DuckDuckGo is using the data from Google.
You are still giving money to Google when you use DuckDuckGo.

DuckDuckGo is merely en extension of Google.
Under the hood, DuckDuckGo and Google is the same stuff.
I do understand that the average internet-user does not recognize this.
So Google did not just give duck.com to ddg out of the goodness of their heart? :)
https://www.namepros.com/blog/confirmed-duck-com-transfers-to-duckduckgo.1113728/

So... anybody else has been experiening search results not showing URLs lately? I was investigating a lead/offer today and it's a right mess when the URLs are not showing up.
To your edit: petition or not, will Google care? It is a household name. There are so many millions of users dependent, many of whom don't care about domains. Not to mention didn't they remove that "do no evil" or whatever it was from their MO, so that they now can.. heh.

Is the removal of urls in results specific to something, browser, device etc. On desktop, for my site I still show url in result, and ads above my result still showing url:

XU41fNY.png

•••
goog still showing urls on chrome android for me
may be it depends of the location

•••
So Google did not just give duck.com to ddg out of the goodness of their heart? :)
https://www.namepros.com/blog/confirmed-duck-com-transfers-to-duckduckgo.1113728/

To your edit: petition or not, will Google care? It is a household name. There are so many millions of users dependent, many of whom don't care about domains. Not to mention didn't they remove that "do no evil" or whatever it was from their MO, so that they now can.. heh.

Is the removal of urls in results specific to something, browser, device etc. On desktop, for my site I still show url in result, and ads above my result still showing url:

XU41fNY.png

Lol :)

I guess it's browser or device specific as on my Linux desktop they do show the url as it seems. Might also have to do with user setting, being logged in to Google. Haven't tested all options yet :)

It's annoying as hell is all I can say. I don't think a petition will be an immediate help, agreed. If there's enough pushback from the tech world they may reconsider eventually... who knows.

Beside the security issues, the user experience is ultra crappy. Like, a setback to Y2K.

New year's resolutions for 2020 you ask? Ditch Google and Windows :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back