IT.COM

Google Google Penguin 3.0 Launched on Oct 18

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bala Murugan

Impact
Google Sunday afternoon has confirmed Update they have done a Penguin 3.0 update. Just noticed huge SERP changes for thousands of keywords.

Anyone finds the same?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I need to confirm this. thanks

•••
Yes, Penguin 3.0 began rolling out over the weekend. Google confirmed - http://searchengineland.com/google-releases-first-penguin-update-year-206169 . May still be rolling out. Rumored to be hitting links from Web 2.0's and GSA, but its really too early to assess. I will update when some reliable data is in.

Google did suggest that refreshes are going to happen "more frequently" - while nobody knows exactly what that means, it's good news for anyone hit by Penguin because even if you address the problems you won't know if your actions helped until an update is run (and the last update was a YEAR ago!)​

Last edited:
•••
Yes, my niche site moved from Page 2 (#16) to Page 3 (#29) on Sunday. My site had thousand of footer links.

•••
Yeah update is already confirmed by some prestigious portal. We are still not sure what to do so ,we have decided to watch the update once its done... If you guys have any suggestion to get back on SERP's then please post it . Thanks

•••
Yes, my niche site moved from Page 2 (#16) to Page 3 (#29) on Sunday. My site had thousand of footer links.
a thousand footer links?? Just why??

•••
a thousand footer links?? Just why??
Actually, they are more than a thousand... I had created a MyBB theme with a link to my site in the footer ("Designed By MySite.com"). Many forum owners are using the theme, that's why I have thousands of footer links.

•••
Google Sunday afternoon has confirmed Update they have done a Penguin 3.0 update. Just noticed huge SERP changes for thousands of keywords.

Anyone finds the same?
Google Penguin 3.0 Launched on Oct 17 (Friday night). Because search engine land announch published this news.

•••
If you guys have any suggestion to get back on SERP's then please post it . Thanks

Penguin is all about links. Spammy links to be exact. Particularly inbound links and anchor text, but I believe outbound too if they think you're participating in a "link scheme".

General advice from previous Penguins is to disavow the bad links. Or get rid of them if you can. Do not submit a recon request unless you have a manual action - it won't do you any good (and could do you harm, if someone does take a look and doesn't like what they see.)

Then, since its algorithmic, you have to wait for another refresh of Penguin for whatever you did to take effect. Last time it was a YEAR, they're saying its now going to refresh "more often."

Some client recoveries coinciding with this refresh have been reported by some of the well known penalty-removal folks, but there has been no major breakdown posted because the rollout is not finished yet. They're saying it will take a couple of weeks.

Site I know of (not mine) in a "risky" (aka competitive and heavily spammed) niche got negged last month - lost 80-90% Google traffic since Saturday :(. Not sure if you were affected? Fire up analytics - go to acquisition channels -> search and look at the graph for Google traffic, if you were hit it will look like you fell off a cliff sometime in the last few days.

Actually, they are more than a thousand... I had created a MyBB theme with a link to my site in the footer ("Designed By MySite.com"). Many forum owners are using the theme, that's why I have thousands of footer links.

Google has warned against doing that.

Last edited:
•••
ahh get ya!

•••
•••
Thanks
We checking ranking on my website its effect to many keywords.

What i do best for my website

•••
Never spreading your web content other site and never link building non related site and last never duplicate any content.

•••
Every theme designer includes a link to his site in the footer, so did I.
Yep - used to be standard practice. Then Google started slamming people for it as "unnatural links".

•••
I guess now a days SEO major depends on Social Networks and count on shares likes etc. For example the changes between the same page of same name in Facebook and twitter for some of them twitter coming first and for most Facebook.

•••
Yes. you confirm it from here linkresearchtools.com/news/penguin-3-0/

•••
Multiple minor penguin refreshes since then - http://searchengineland.com/holidays-google-breaks-updates-rules-gives-fresh-penguin-updates-210367
As of yesterday, Google had only confirmed the first of them (3.1, on 11/27)
Very encouraging if they're refreshing regularly, since you can't recover from Penguin without a refresh. It was a year between 2 and 3 - that was pretty harsh on those who did the cleanup and had to wait that long to see if it worked.

UPDATE: Like Panda before it, Penguin is now moving towards "continuous updates" - per an official announcement from Google
https://www.davidnaylor.co.uk/google-reveal-penguin-update-now-continuous.html

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back