Dynadot

news Google buys abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.com because Alphabet

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mike Y

Established Member
Impact
"
Yes, it's the full alphabet, and it's also that one domain that you wanted to buy as a joke 10 years ago but never did.

The whois records for abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.com show the domain was created in 1999, and was owned by an unknown private entity until it was sold to Google."

read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is a really rubbish domain. I bet this domain will not be used and just be re-directed to another domain. It will just be another add-on domain.

Who agrees with me?

•••
This is a really rubbish domain. I bet this domain will not be used and just be re-directed to another domain. It will just be another add-on domain.

Who agrees with me?

I partially agree with you, that the domain would be redirected to another site, but it's not a rubbish domain.

The question as to why Google has bought it in the first place, has already been answered. This is called, Defensive registration.

•••
•••
I guess it is like this...

A small team (or even an individual employee) at Google have been instructed to spend some time to defensive register Alphabet related domains, both non-registered ones, as well as from the aftermarket. It's just to protect the (coming) brand Alphabet and to get some attention (as here). A few hundred thousands of dollars is obviously nothing for Google / Alphabet.

•••
what about abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw(.)xyz ?

•••
for how much it was aquired ?

•••
The domain does seem like and is a joke. I don't think anyone will type all the letters.
Google uses it just to fun. And of course it creates a buzz. I will have to use shorter name to direct to it because no one will type abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.com.

If anyone were to invest in such name, it's a matter of little chance, one in a million in selling it. Google already has the fame, so it can do or buy crazy stuff and make it wild crazy success. Yet, I doubt if the startup google many years ago would have invested in such name.

•••
What they really need is az.com or alphabet.com and that would cost a fortune to get any of the two. I know they can afford it. But I think their best bet now should be on how to make use of their .google extension. Possibly to have google.com forwarding to google.google.

Cheers.

Last edited:
•••
What they really need is az.com or alphabet.com and that would cost a fortune to get any of the two. I know they can afford it. But I think their best bet now should be on how to make use of their .google extension. Possibly to have google.com forwarding to google.google.

Cheers.
I have actually seen where they used .google. Maybe they will end up with .abc or .alphabet?

•••
The domain does seem like and is a joke.
Yes, sort of, or brand protection.

I don't think anyone will type all the letters.

With the Alexa numbers, someone had to have been typing it in over the years, if only to know what is on the domain name. But if you try to get people to USE that URL, and tell them to type all that all in, you would have a hell of a typo problem. But it could be a redirect to a shorter URL. Then when the user types in that random long URL, they will find Alphabet, and Google.

•••
They made a silly mistake by launching on alphabet.xyz......it is sad to see this kind of things from people in big corporations...

Contact BMW...plead them and explain them about their silly mistake of launching on .xyz..and beg them to sell alphabet.com

•••
It's just google having some fun, probably now reading the threads like this one knowing they did well again with more publicity.

•••
Those of who you say it was a waste of money, well you are kind of right, but that is not really the point of the purchase.

It's just done for PR and media hype. Big businesses know how to have fun too, and they use that element to attract consumer attention.

Not everything in domaining is done in the domainers eye.

•••
I sold few months ago domain "abcdefghijklmnopqrst.com" before the news of the company Alphabet for high $Xxxx and now I see that the owner is Google Inc. :D

Last edited:
•••
wouldn't it be funny if google could have just handregged that sort of a name

•••
(hoping this doesn't trigger a thread hyping a 26L .com buyout ...)

•••
I sold few months ago domain "abcdefghijklmnopqrst.com" before the news of the company Alphabet for high $Xxxx and now I see that the owner is Google Inc. :D
congrats. where u sold it?

•••
They made a silly mistake by launching on alphabet.xyz......it is sad to see this kind of things from people in big corporations...

Contact BMW...plead them and explain them about their silly mistake of launching on .xyz..and beg them to sell alphabet.com
They do not own that domain, it is abc.xyz. Although that would not be a bad one to also get if that is the name of the company.

•••
congrats. where u sold it?
Thanks. Company from San Francisco contact with my by whois mail. What surprised me, I send them a price and they agreed without any negotiations. They really hurry up to buy. If I knew that was google ...

•••
If I knew that was google ...

That is why they wont tell you who they are. And why sometimes, it is a very bad idea to have a BIN on domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back