Dynadot

domains Be careful when you do a domain name transfer, you may not gain that 1 year

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
So there was someone on Namepros talking about a situation with a domain name transfer. Where they transferred a domain name for a friend. I transferred a .com for a friend into my account on 10th March 2020. Domain renewal date is 31st January every year. So obviously when I transferred the domain name on […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
always good to double check any business transaction. tyvm. :)

•••
Yes an important reminder about transferring recently renewed domain names. Thanks @equity78

There are also a few cases of country codes where a year extension is not included in the price. I do not know the details off the top of my head, perhaps someone has written it up?

Bob

•••
So there was someone on Namepros talking about a situation with a domain name transfer. Where they transferred a domain name for a friend. I transferred a .com for a friend into my account on 10th March 2020. Domain renewal date is 31st January every year. So obviously when I transferred the domain name on […]

Continue Reading
I am surprised not every one knows this already?

•••
Yes an important reminder about transferring recently renewed domain names. Thanks @equity78

There are also a few cases of country codes where a year extension is not included in the price. I do not know the details off the top of my head, perhaps someone has written it up?

Bob

.nl .nu .se .uk for sure. It depends on the registrar. Transferring should be free, if a registrar charges you, be sure to check what it is they're charging you for.

Sidenote for .NL: Transferring your domain (for free) prematurely could actually cut your time left untill expiration short.

•••
.nl .nu .se .uk for sure. It depends on the registrar. Transferring should be free, if a registrar charges you, be sure to check what it is they're charging you for.

Sidenote for .NL: Transferring your domain (for free) prematurely could actually cut your time left untill expiration short.

Free for .nl?

•••
Free for .nl?

Yes. If you come across a cheap transfer offer, be aware that they will probably charge you but not renew the domain.

But... domains don't always actually get registered for a year. It's a bit more complicated but basically when you register a .NL you pay the registrar for the service to maintain the registration for the domain with the registry for a year, not for an actual yearly registration. The registry allows registrars to register for a shorter period of time.

So when you pay a registrar for a year of service, they could actually just register it for a quarter (and renew every quarter). The moment you transfer your domain (within 3 months) your expiration date gets cut short to 3 months after you registered it, as that is the expiration known by the registry.

Now, there are registrars that register the domain with the registry for a full year, and those usually do charge in full on a transfer. Basically they will perform a free transfer and then renew the domain.

•••
For instance:

On tldlist regery.com comes up as the cheapest transfer for $1.99. they will not renew your domain on transfer. That $1.99 is 100% profit for the registrar.

•••
And then what?
What exactly is going on?
Where is the domain name at the end?

•••
Here's the reason: https://www.icann.org/news/advisory-2002-06-06-en
The extra year is not added because the losing registrar is reimbursed for the renewal.
So they absolutely should refund the customer as well, instead they just treat it as an extra income 99% of the time.

•••
If you buy for reg fee from aregistrar you dont encounter this problem

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back