Domain Empire

news GoDaddy to release domains instantly; industry in complete shock!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
GoDaddy, the biggest domain registrar in the world, is making waves after new policies take effect this Friday.
Beginning at 12 noon today, all domain name transfer requests to another registrar will be approved “instantly.” As long as the provided authorization code is valid and the domain is unlocked, transfer requests will go through in mere minutes.
Read More.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't really use GoDaddy, but this is good news and it should be like this, hopefully other registrars follow suit, I use NameSilo where they do instant transfer with a click button (think GoDaddy did this previously too), but i've dealt with companies like Network Solutions when buying a domain off someone and its a nightmare waiting 7 days for it transfer.

•••
There isn't a "100% True" notice for this post at Domain Gang. So this isn't news and it isn't true. It's satire.

Last edited:
•••
At normal registries and registrars it's like that:
- you initiate the transfer (using authinfo code)
- you receive an e-mail with confirmation link, click it
- the domain is at your new registrar

With .com and other gTLDs it's like that:
- you initiate the transfer (using authinfo code)
- you receive an e-mail like "hey, we see that you initiated a transfer, we'll still hold the name for 7 days for whatever purposes, you can also click [this link] to cancel the transfer, and if you don't have the access to this e-mail and have no idea that someone is stealing your domain right now, the transfer will proceed anyway, sucks to be you."

Fortunately some registrars allow to confirm and proceed with the transfer immediately, but many still don't.

Last edited:
•••
For security reasons I do hope they will still ask the registrant to either deny or approve the transfer through mail > webform.

If not, that's a major concern.

Last edited:
•••
Good!

It's about time I move out the few bits I still have there.

•••
•••
If laughter is the best medicine, for domainers, DG is the must read site!

LMAO

Regards

•••
good. the faster u leave em the better

•••
Yes, it's satire that reflects the sad reality of things at GoDaddy. :xf.wink:
By the way, these article picks are made by the NP moderators, not me.

•••
GoDaddy, the biggest domain registrar in the world, is making waves after new policies take effect this Friday.
Beginning at 12 noon today, all domain name transfer requests to another registrar will be approved “instantly.” As long as the provided authorization code is valid and the domain is unlocked, transfer requests will go through in mere minutes.
Read More.
It's satire I started a transfer-out last night you have to go into your account and approve the transfer-out so it is not automatic but at least you have the choice to speed it up. No register in their right mind will ever wave the 5 to 7 day without having you click a button or click a link. Godaddy kind of hides the option to expedite but it is there under transfers-out section.

•••
It's satire I started a transfer-out last night you have to go into your account and approve the transfer-out so it is not automatic but at least you have the choice to speed it up. No register in their right mind will ever wave the 5 to 7 day without having you click a button or click a link. Godaddy kind of hides the option to expedite but it is there under transfers-out section.
New GD interface is all like that. Go to Select1 than Select2, than Select3... all is hidden
Peek A Boo Reaction GIF by Tikivideo

•••

Yes and no. If the domain valuation tool at GoDaddy generates a figure of at least $5,000 dollars, your domain is flagged for "manual review." That review takes place at the GD rep's own convenience. Responding to that email with an acknowledgement does not speed up the process. So yes, it's parody with actual facts that lead to a frustrating experience at GoDaddy. We should not have to jump through hoops just to move domains of any value out of GoDaddy (or any registrar.)

PS. While transferring domains out, GoDaddy wants you to remove WHOIS privacy. Other registrars don't require that. So valuable domains that were flagged for manual review end up having their WHOIS exposed for 5-7 days.

•••
Yes and no. If the domain valuation tool at GoDaddy generates a figure of at least $5,000 dollars, your domain is flagged for "manual review." That review takes place at the GD rep's own convenience. Responding to that email with an acknowledgement does not speed up the process. So yes, it's parody with actual facts that lead to a frustrating experience at GoDaddy. We should not have to jump through hoops just to move domains of any value out of GoDaddy (or any registrar.)

PS. While transferring domains out, GoDaddy wants you to remove WHOIS privacy. Other registrars don't require that. So valuable domains that were flagged for manual review end up having their WHOIS exposed for 5-7 days.
This is the epitome of cumbersome.
GoDaddy madness.

•••
•••
It can be a big hassle. They really need to improve their transfer process to avoid any unnecessary delays.

•••
This article is satire, but kudos to writer for fooling OP

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back