IT.COM

GoDaddy stops selling domains via PayPal...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kamikaze

lan.guag.esEstablished Member
Impact
...if you're using a coupon :bah:

I don't know since when they've decide this,
I mean, last week I bought some domains with a coupon AND using PP.
Last night I had no PP option on checkout...
Emailed them and got this reply :

Thank you for contacting Online Support.
You are note seeing this option because you currently have a discount code within your card.
Because PayPal cannot process transactions with discount codes, the option is not presented.
You would need to use a separate payment method for this transaction.

:-/

Anyways, I got the .com on full price, just so no one else would grab it until this issue is figured out...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am not sure why it's happening like that at your end because I just tried renewing .com domain with discount code gdbba547 which gives me $8.67 and I am able to use PayPal with no troubles.

•••
... and you contacted support for that ?

:'(

Clean your cookies in browser (evtl. relogin) and you have CC again as payment, but depending on what Coupon you use there is NO paypal.

:bah:
Opening such thread (with that title) for that issue
:(

•••
Godaddy is doing this from the long time but only for the lowest price codes. There are codes that works with paypal.

•••
I have been unable to use my Paypal for sometime with GoDaddy, with or without promo codes. I have had my account for over 5 years without a problem and have recently upgraded to a business account.

It probably has to do with something that Paypal takes (commission). Although a credit card is also going to have that extra charge for GoDaddy too.

•••
Godaddy only prohibits people from using Paypal on "loss leaders" e.g., domains below normal discounted prices com's for $2.99 etc... with the Paypal fee they would be losing even more. Still a great deal, just pay by check or use a debit or credit card...

•••
... and you contacted support for that ?

:'(

Yes.
As I've said, I never had this issue WHILE USING COUPONS with them.

Clean your cookies in browser (evtl. relogin) and you have CC again as payment, but depending on what Coupon you use there is NO paypal.

:bah:

Tried that before posting/contacting support.
Didn't work at all.

Opening such thread (with that title) for that issue
:(

Well excuse me for updating fellow domainers...
As you might read, others had this same problem with GD.

•••
Also,I have just recently found out that they are phasing out GIFT CARDS as well.

•••
I can only guess the reason is that PayPal charges 3% on every transaction where you can negotiate Credit Card rates as low as 1.5% and for a company as big as Godaddy they can probably get it even cheaper.

:imho:

•••
Godaddy only prohibits people from using Paypal on "loss leaders" e.g., domains below normal discounted prices com's for $2.99 etc... with the Paypal fee they would be losing even more. Still a great deal, just pay by check or use a debit or credit card...

My experience has been the same. I lose the Paypal option for the deeper discount coupons and I think that's understandable, given that they are losing money on them.

And based on what I've seen in the GoDaddy coupons thread, it seems many of the codes under $8 are the ones affected

•••
•••
Look guys, the verisign price for a .com for instance is $7.85
Then add the paypal fees
Godaddys calculation only works if you order additional products like webspace, etc or renew for a higher price later

BTW; paypal still works for me for some codes.
2.95 or 1.00 codes never worked with paypal, so thats not new

•••
paypal still works for me for some codes.
2.95 or 1.00 codes never worked with paypal, so thats not new

Well I sure don't know if it was by a chance...
Last week I got 2 .com's with the 2.95 coupon.
And YES - I paid, like I always do, with PayPal.

•••
Really?
The very cheap codes worked for me only with my CC.
strange

•••
It could be if your paypal account is set to use your credit card, that godaddy will accept.
EG: in paypal, instead of taking from whatever you have in your account, paypal takes directly from your credit card.

•••
Look guys, the verisign price for a .com for instance is $7.85

Don't you think Godaddy gets special pricing?

I would bet $7.85 is what smaller registers may pay but when you are the biggest in the business and have registered millions of domains I bet you get a much better price.
Just like Walmart.

I could be wrong but big businesses like Godaddy usually can make better deals then everyone else. :imho:

•••
Don't you think Godaddy gets special pricing?

I would bet $7.85 is what smaller registers may pay but when you are the biggest in the business and have registered millions of domains I bet you get a much better price.
Just like Walmart.

Only, VeriSign could tell Go Daddy to take it or leave it rather than the other way around. Even if Go Daddy says leave it, VeriSign can take their customers' domain names and be transferred to other registrars paying VeriSign's prices anyway.

•••
Only, VeriSign could tell Go Daddy to take it or leave it rather than the other way around. Even if Go Daddy says leave it, VeriSign can take their customers' domain names and be transferred to other registrars paying VeriSign's prices anyway.

This is true but it also make good business sense for VeriSign to have such a cool Huge player out there contently reminding people to buy domains.

No other register has the fallowing GD has.

The bigger and more well known GD is, the more money they both make and if it means giving special pricing to keep GD rolling in advertising and promos I'm sure VeriSign would make such deals.
Probably tier pricing, the more GD sells, the better the price they pay.

I bet they scratch each others back :)

•••
As far as i know , there are no deals with verisign and everyone pays the same. I think i read somewhere that its not allowed that verisign makes different prices for different registrars

•••
As far as i know , there are no deals with verisign and everyone pays the same. I think i read somewhere that its not allowed that verisign makes different prices for different registrars

You never know, but your probably right :)

•••
Also,I have just recently found out that they are phasing out GIFT CARDS as well.

Hi didn't know that, when are they doing that?

One thing about Paypal is it charges different fees depending what country you pay from/to and if you have credit in your account it does not charge a fee for non-merchant transactions. So I wouldn't assume Godaddy pay the same fee rate on all Paypal transactions.

Also I think GD always sets up a regular payment facility when you sign up with PP? Is that still so? I cancelled that in my account so they could not charge autorenews to my PP.

•••
I stopped using paypal with godaddy.I forgot I connected paypal with my godaddy account and 15 renewals came up and it crushed my paypal account.

BRIGITTE GRISANTI

•••
It depends on what coupon you are using. A lot don't have the option for PayPal but some do. The coupons with a larger margin typically $8-$10 accept PayPal where as coupons for $1-$3 domains rarely do.

•••
if you're trying to use it on those $1-2 domain promos, then yeah PayPal isn't really qualified on those.

but I do have experienced once wherein I tried to renew a .com, bringing the price back to $7.67, as usual, and PayPal isn't displayed as one of the options. It only happened once though, and I was forced to take another promo code which pulled down the price a few cents higher at around $8.xx, wherein I was able to see and use the PP option. That was earlier this April.

•••
If you don't have a creditcard, there is a solution.
you can buy one of those prepaid mastercards or visacards if you buy a lot of domains on Godaddy or use Snapnames, namejet, etc.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back