Dynadot

GoDaddy Registration Issues

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
I got several reports from people that searched for a domain name at Go Daddy, found that the domain name was available and purchased it. After payment was done they would receive an email that the domain name was not available for registration.
Go Daddy had trouble distinguishing between available to register domain names and already registered domains. The issue was in effect on Friday the 31st of January and on Saturday the 1st of February. Not sure if this has been fixed since that. Please let me know if you are having trouble in the past couple of days.
Full Article: http://onlinedomain.com/2015/02/03/...rouble-with-simple-domain-name-registrations/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow this have happen to me.

•••
yes that is true
most of the domains that they see as available domains, actually have been reserved by registry

•••
The thing is on GoDaddy register sytem, people registering every second over 5.000 domains. When people register domians. Registry database is not refreshing instantly. Thats why it looks like available but then register fails. But Godaddy refunds your money automaticly in a few days.

•••
I can see why this can be frustrating for some people, but I don't see why people need to complain so much about godaddy in general.

*Gettjng off topic here* lol

They have over millions of customers, they can stop what they're doing and help you.
I've heard people complain about their commercials being sexual I've heard about there customer service being slow, I've heard how you bought a domain from godaddy domains pending expired and pay for it then getting an email saying it has been put on backorder or someone already registered it.(it's happened to me :/ ) but what can you do, it's not like they're stealing your money they are refunding it. I feel like some people in this world are greedy, and they think everything's automatically going to update but it's not.. Databases do not refresh ever second of the day. They are a huge company I just feel like people complain more then they praise...

•••
It's the shooting of elephants that put them over the top, for me.

•••
I can see why this can be frustrating for some people, but I don't see why people need to complain so much about godaddy in general.

*Gettjng off topic here* lol

They have over millions of customers, they can stop what they're doing and help you.
I've heard people complain about their commercials being sexual I've heard about there customer service being slow, I've heard how you bought a domain from godaddy domains pending expired and pay for it then getting an email saying it has been put on backorder or someone already registered it.(it's happened to me :/ ) but what can you do, it's not like they're stealing your money they are refunding it. I feel like some people in this world are greedy, and they think everything's automatically going to update but it's not.. Databases do not refresh ever second of the day. They are a huge company I just feel like people complain more then they praise...

What does being a huge company has to do with quality service? HostGator are huge in the hosting business and they receive tons of negative feedback daily. Same is with GD. I can sympathize with the fact that once a company becomes bigger and bigger they get a ton of things to deal with and they can no longer treat individual clients with the attention they deserve (though with the right trained staff they can). But when the quality of service deteriorates proportionally with the quality of support then complaints will follow.

People don't complain for the sake of complaining. Many times its the business and financial lives people are putting on the line when trusting a company. When that company starts to think that your business is not that important because you are not a high-end client then its logical to stop working with it. Personally I have nothing against GoDaddy except my sympathy for all their victims. Its all about a personal preference. Many people find them great for their projects, maybe you included, and its cool. But don't be surprised that many don't find them that great. To each their own ;)

•••
it's true...
some domain available for Godaddy but not available on other domain registration websites.

•••
The thing is on GoDaddy register sytem, people registering every second over 5.000 domains. When people register domians. Registry database is not refreshing instantly. Thats why it looks like available but then register fails. But Godaddy refunds your money automaticly in a few days.

Godaddy have to improve their system

•••
This situation is nothing to do with Godaddy. Registry database is not refreshing instantly. After all godaddy searching that domain into registry database. If the database shows domain available ofcourse Godaddy will says domain is available. Its not just Godaddy system. All the registrars having the same problem.

•••
this have happen to me past two days.. godaddy still didn't refund my money.

•••
They're support line was actually bombarded by tickets. I think they don't have enough manpower to fix this in a short period of time.

•••
This situation is nothing to do with Godaddy. Registry database is not refreshing instantly.

The weird thing is that GoDaddy shows as available not only some resent drops, but also domains that have been registered for years now.

•••
This situation is nothing to do with Godaddy. Registry database is not refreshing instantly. After all godaddy searching that domain into registry database. If the database shows domain available ofcourse Godaddy will says domain is available. Its not just Godaddy system. All the registrars having the same problem.

This may be true for a very very minute %age of cases. Because the Registry update their database in nanoseconds. This is a problem at GoDaddy because they lookup their own database, not the Registry database. Which is updated at something other than nanoseconds, maybe days.

•••
When you register domain from Godaddy and after that try to search again and see if its available or not. Godaddy doesnt have Database. Every registrar have their own search engine which run queries onto registry database. Think like that if godaddy have database and if the domain is not available into their system and they dont refresh instantly then they will lose customer. I would go to other registrar. Then the domain is avialable onto their database... That doesnt make sense. Say for instant when you search something on google that search looks to other servers. Google doesnt collect peoples websites.

•••
Always use a 3rd party Whois tool to check for availability before you try buy, that way you can be sure if it is actually available or not don't trust the GD search. Not only that but it's suspected GD sell domain search details on to third party investors, or have done in the past.

•••
Always use a 3rd party Whois tool to check for availability before you try buy, that way you can be sure if it is actually available or not don't trust the GD search. Not only that but it's suspected GD sell domain search details on to third party investors, or have done in the past.

A 3rd party whois tool which directly connects to the registry's database, or the registry database itself.

•••
I’ve had this happen to me 2 times so far and yes it is annoying but in a way you kind of can’t really complain as you should expect something like this to happen from time to time. There a huge company with lots of people trying to register domains at any point in time during the day – their system is bound to make a few mistakes from time to time. And they do refund your money back so it’s not like you’re really losing out. What surprises me is that it doesn’t happen more often.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back