IT.COM

GoDaddy Premium listings VS 7-day auctions

NameSilo
Watch

Nerevar

Top Member
Impact
When you decide to set a fixed price for some of your domains, do you prefer to list them in GoDaddy Premium listings or GoDaddy 7-day auctions (renewable), and why?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've always used the Premium Listings myself. I'd also be curious if people have had success with 7 day auctions?!

•••
What is the difference?

•••
A Premium Listing is at a Buy Now price, which has been inflated to take care of GoDaddy's 30% commission. A 7 day auction is an Auction. You only sell the domain if somebody bids in your auction. You only win the domain if you are the top bidder when the auction closes.

I would have thought the Premium Listing would generally be better because your domain will be put in front of eyeballs of people looking for similar domains (qualified buyers) both on GoDaddy and all of their partners.

•••
Does GD really sends their premium listings to any partners? We do not use afternic for example, but have a number of premium listings enabled within GD account. Just checked - the domain name is offered as BUY IT NOW if searched (as a domain name) from the 1st page of godaddy, would (hopefully) be offered as one of the results for appropriate kw-based searches unless new gtlds would not have a priority with search results which is unfortunately very likely, but it is not available on afternic.com ...

As a side note, if we are looking for endusers buying a fixed-priced domain, wouldn't an "auctions" options be somewhat misleading for an average enduser? Not only would they be required to participate in an "auction" for something that it supposed to be available @fixed price, but, also, in order to do so, they would first be required to purchase(!) an auction membership from GD, and, according to the most recent security developments @ GD, verify their "auctions" account by linking it with a verfied paypal account. Too hard for an average enduser looking to pay for just one fixed priced domain... unless I missed or misunderstood smth. here?

•••
I didn't really understand anything you said above, but maybe that's just me. When you are searching on GoDaddy for an available domain, have you seen the list of suggestions, GoDaddy and other registrars supply you with fixed prices? That is what you get for offering your domain for a Premium Price on GoDaddy.

•••
Stub, likely it is me not writing too clear, sorry! What I just found is -

We own SomeKeyword.com

It is regged with GoDaddy

We enabled premim listing for SomeKeyword.com with GD

GoDaddy visitor who searched for "SomeKeyword.com" has an opportunity to purchase the same immediately

Afternic.com visitor who searched for "SomeKeyword.com" on afternic definitely does not see it as available

GoDaddy visitor who searched for "Some Keyword" may or may not see our "SomeKeyword.com" in the suggestions generated by GD, depending on number of new gtlts they (GD) currently elected to promote as top suggestions

Which opens a question whether afternic listings are supposed to be available through GD and/or GD listings are available through afternic

•••
As far as I am aware, it should work both ways. But I guess there may be a variable amount of slots, which GoDaddy hasn't bother to mention to us. But if the search for "somekeyword.com" was an exact match search, I'd be pissed off if both GoDaddy and Afternic didn't display you name first on the list of Premium Domains for Sale.

•••
Exact match domain searches are fine on gd, thank goodness.... But if we listed lets say JapanJourney.com (made-up example), then for "travel japan" search we receive suggestions to purchase "japan.travel", "travel.tokyo" etc, and by some reason CCTLDs of our bordering countries (likely based on GeoIP) to begin with...

•••
OK. I get it now. GoDaddy think these new gtlds are better to promote than your .com. That sucks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back