Dynadot

question GoDaddy or Namebright?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which registrar would you choose to purchase 2000 .COM domains?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
I am looking to purchase around 1500-2,000 .COMs and am having difficulty choosing between GD and NB.

With GD, the .COMs will cost around $8.45 (renewals as well); however at NB, we can get at-cost pricing for .COM registrations/renewals at $8.03/domain. I realize most end users know/use GD, and the afternic/GD listing process would be even simpler and seamless by having the names at GD. However 2000 .COMs x 0.42 makes a difference - especially when looking to buy another 2000 names a few months from now.

For those of your with larger .COM portfolios (5k+ names) do you find having / not having your domains at GD makes a difference to inbound/passive sales? If the chances of making sales is a little higher at GD (easier premium network integration having names at GD etc.), then I am prepared to pay the extra $$ to have & keep our names there.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
try to talk
@Joe Styler perhaps he could give special discount for you

•••
•••
But you can’t really lock in $8-$8.03 registrations / renewals with those registries.

•••
I know many folks here like GD; but look, there are tons of deep negative on them here.

The only disadvantage of NB - that they don't support fast transfer for Afternic or however it's called.

•••
I would say not supporting FastTransfer is a very significant downside if your intention is to sell domains. So NB is out. Dynadot & NameSilo would be good choices.

Another possibility is NamePal. They have a very innovative system that gives you credit for transactions made by the buyer if they keep the domain at NP. And also give you commission automatically for any domains that you let go and are bid on at auction. They are enabled for FastTransfer but to be honest it’s still not 100% clear to me how the approval works.

A big problem with Godaddy is that their Domain Manager is from the stone age. Makes it very difficult to manage a large portfolio of domains.

Does anyone know if Godaddy have an API to manage domains? Or any there any improvements coming with the Domain Manger? We need the ability to action a list of domains by pasting the list, not by selecting checkboxes! @Joe Styler

Godaddy do offer one advantage for bulk domain sellers which is that you can export the number of whois lookups for your domains. Very valuable data to help with renewal decisions.

•••
Do NOT go with Namepal! Read up on the horror stories (including my own) on the forum.

The fast transfer at Afternic is a very attactive feature. But the price difference is ~$600 per year which is nearly 75 additional domain regs or renewals (depending on your pricing) at NB. Personally, I do not like GD's practices but their "power" is too hard to ignore

•••
Basically contact all company support and ask them for a special discount, since you were spending more than 10K, it might be worth to try, even 5% discount could sum up to 500$. It will be more tempting if you give them your bank account screenshoot with those 10K money

•••
try to talk
@Joe Styler perhaps he could give special discount for you

Good advice, Joe will help you.

Personally I use GD mainly but I do use others such as NameSilo. I use GD because you can contact them easily and problems are resolved quickly. Also pushing domains between accounts after sale is fast and easy.

•••
Good advice, Joe will help you.

Personally I use GD mainly but I do use others such as NameSilo. I use GD because you can contact them easily and problems are resolved quickly. Also pushing domains between accounts after sale is fast and easy.

@Federer gonna spend 10K+ on domain name, along with it some of those domain eventually will be sold through GD marketplace, thats mean another fee income for GD. That would be great business opportunity for GD

•••
•••
+1 for NameSilo. They also support Afternic Fast Transfer. An advantage of GD is that you can push to other GD accounts within 60 days of regging/expiry.

•••
Namesilo

Godaddy is not a member in Sedo MLS Premium.

•••
What I like with GD, is that your GD-based domains are automatically enrolled into the Afternic Fast-transfer (premium promotion) network after 60 days. No need to fetch codes, authorize listings etc.

•••
Verisign doesn't set 60 days lock anymore.
GD ignores this factor, but with another registrars (like Dynadot) you can freely transfer your .com/.net

Last edited:
•••
NameBright, hands down. Anyone with experience will know what a nightmare it would be to manage anything more than 10 domains at Godaddy. Together with the nightmare support and constant games with upsales, Godaddy is an awful choice for domain investors.

You can send NameBright a wire and save a further 3% on registrations/renewals, which is near cost. Additionally they provide free privacy and the domain management is a breeze. Fast transfers might not work exactly with Afternic, but you can fast transfer with NameBright to your customers directly. You shouldn't be listing your domains at Afternic anyway, your client's data is owned by them and you have no idea who they are. Own your own clients, it's lazy to list and hope something sells on Afternic.

•••
NameBright, hands down. Anyone with experience will know what a nightmare it would be to manage anything more than 10 domains at Godaddy. Together with the nightmare support and constant games with upsales, Godaddy is an awful choice for domain investors.

You can send NameBright a wire and save a further 3% on registrations/renewals, which is near cost. Additionally they provide free privacy and the domain management is a breeze. Fast transfers might not work exactly with Afternic, but you can fast transfer with NameBright to your customers directly. You shouldn't be listing your domains at Afternic anyway, your client's data is owned by them and you have no idea who they are. Own your own clients, it's lazy to list and hope something sells on Afternic.
I could argue it’s lazy not to list on Afternic. The added exposure is absolutely undeniable.

•••
What I am curious to know is:
Does having your domains at GD increase exposure/your chances of making end user sales at Afternic/GD? Or does it make no difference at all?

•••
I could argue it’s lazy not to list on Afternic. The added exposure is absolutely undeniable.

The added benefit of owning your own data/customers is 1,000 times better than any sort of exposure Godaddy yields. There is simply no way to know they aren't pitching other names to your buyers. Most of the inquiries received come from the domains themselves anyway, you're simply okay with having someone else do the work of handling the inquiries in exchange for 20% loss in profit. All you need to do is search the forum for afternic and see they have serious issues with their system and I have personally encountered sellers who list 20,000 domains they don't own to try to front-run as much as possible. And don't get me started on the Godaddy end of the operations, simply some of the worst experiences, aside from NetSol/Enom of course.

•••
The added benefit of owning your own data/customers is 1,000 times better than any sort of exposure Godaddy yields. There is simply no way to know they aren't pitching other names to your buyers. Most of the inquiries received come from the domains themselves anyway, you're simply okay with having someone else do the work of handling the inquiries in exchange for 20% loss in profit. All you need to do is search the forum for afternic and see they have serious issues with their system and I have personally encountered sellers who list 20,000 domains they don't own to try to front-run as much as possible. And don't get me started on the Godaddy end of the operations, simply some of the worst experiences, aside from NetSol/Enom of course.
Nothing is worse than NetSol. That's for sure.

•••
I find name.com way easier to get your names in the afternic dls and yes it makes a big difference

Sometimes names at godaddy take alot longer to get processed through I have no clue why

Last edited:
•••
Most of the inquiries received come from the domains themselves anyway, you're simply okay with having someone else do the work of handling the inquiries in exchange for 20% loss in profit.

You can still list with them but use your own landing pages. So a commission is only paid when the sale is made through GD/Afternic.

•••
I would say not supporting FastTransfer is a very significant downside if your intention is to sell domains. So NB is out. Dynadot & NameSilo would be good choices.

Another possibility is NamePal. They have a very innovative system that gives you credit for transactions made by the buyer if they keep the domain at NP. And also give you commission automatically for any domains that you let go and are bid on at auction. They are enabled for FastTransfer but to be honest it’s still not 100% clear to me how the approval works.

A big problem with Godaddy is that their Domain Manager is from the stone age. Makes it very difficult to manage a large portfolio of domains.

Does anyone know if Godaddy have an API to manage domains? Or any there any improvements coming with the Domain Manger? We need the ability to action a list of domains by pasting the list, not by selecting checkboxes! @Joe Styler

Godaddy do offer one advantage for bulk domain sellers which is that you can export the number of whois lookups for your domains. Very valuable data to help with renewal decisions.
you can manage many things on your domains via an api from developer.godaddy.com

•••
What I am curious to know is:
Does having your domains at GD increase exposure/your chances of making end user sales at Afternic/GD? Or does it make no difference at all?
Afternic is the better choice you can list domains there and have them show up at GoDaddy as well as over 100 other partner registrar websites around the world.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back