NameSilo

services GoDaddy No Longer Displaying Valuation Appraisals

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
For the 4th night in a row, newer domains being added to GoDaddy's auction inventory (auctions end 10 days after being added) are not showing any amount for "Estimated Value". Domains added less than 4 days ago still show their appraised values.

Since inception of their automated appraisal system, it has gone through at least 3 generations. Perhaps the current pause is in preparation for another revamped algorithm.

1st generation did not show any value below $1000 and was unforgivably horrible.
2nd generation did not show any value below $500 and was still very bad.
3rd generation did not show any value below $100 and was noticeably better (not good).

It should be noted that no automated appraisal system could ever be even close to accurate for certain categories of domains (mostly brandables), and while the latest generation definitely could not be relied on for any kind of realistic accuracy in any way, it indeed had improved significantly.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1st generation did not should any value below $1000 and was unforgivably horrible.
2nd generation did not should any value below $500 and was still very bad.
3rd generation did not should any value below $100 and was noticeably better (not good).
I think there's a typo in those lines so your sentences are not fully clear. Can you clarify what you meant to say in there?

•••
Yes .. there was a typo .. and then I copy/pasted the same typo! lol
*Should = Show

Meaning when their appraisals first came out it would only show valuations of $1000 or above (the rest would just show a "-" or a "< $1000". Then it was only above $500. Finally the last change showed only above $100.

There certainly could have been more in between changes to the actual algorithm, but those are the only distinguishable changes ... aside from the fact that the quality and accuracy of the appraisals increased significantly. Not to say it's good/great now .. more that when it started it was complete garbage. Now it isn't horrible. To be fair .. it really is impossible to score anything above "good" when it comes to automated domain evaluation. Unless we're talking purely short domains (up to 4L) or numerics.

•••
Agreed. Even I had to pick and appraise each domain individually. Just noticed it the other day. Already tired of going through other evaluation sites. Made my two hours of work, full ten hours long. Phew!!!
Hope they are up for a smarter surprise 🤔 Fingers crossed.

•••
@Ategy.com - I wouldn't rate any valuation company even in the "good" category overall. They're all worse than "good" IMHO. Despite a huge database of sales, the database is actually quite miniscule to produce any reliable data. It's probably most accurate for domains which have been sold multiples of times. But none of them provide that statistic (to my knowledge). And there is always the unpredictable "need" factor.

•••
Well .. it seems like the valuations are back now. I guess it was some form of test and/or upgrade. They were gone at least 5 days I think.

Agreed. Even I had to pick and appraise each domain individually. Just noticed it the other day. Already tired of going through other evaluation sites. Made my two hours of work, full ten hours long. Phew!!!

You appraise each potential domain you look at ??? Ouch .. that would take me more than 24 hours per day! lol

@Ategy.com - I wouldn't rate any valuation company even in the "good" category overall. They're all worse than "good" IMHO. Despite a huge database of sales, the database is actually quite miniscule to produce any reliable data. It's probably most accurate for domains which have been sold multiples of times. But none of them provide that statistic (to my knowledge). And there is always the unpredictable "need" factor.

I agree with you 100% there. I really barely ever use their valuations. Although for me personally it's that now it's good enough to be useful on occasion on a relative basis. Kinda like how I use estibot .. if I see a big number I'll check a little deeper .. and if it's a small number I'll double check for typos. I most definitely do not recommend anybody use them for the actual number. Although the numbers certainly are much more realistic now than before .. maybe a 5/10 score .. when the lowest was $500 I'd say I'd score their system at 3/10 .. and when it started it was a rather pathetic 1/10. I also say good because I don't feel it's even possible for an automated system to score a 7/10 in my books.

But if you use them right (as a domainer, ironically not for the end user as intended), they can be more helpful on a relative basis as one part of your analysis .. but most certainly it should never be the only metric you use .. specifically when it comes to actually evaluating the value .. lol .. but most certainly do use it to draw attention to the fact you could have missed something (good or bad). Same holds true for Estibot .. it's a vastly better tool (because of all the other real stats and numbers .. the Estibot value certainly does help tremendously (for keywords at least) specifically to help you figure out if you missed something (can often be something good you overlooked .. or if the score is lower compared to other similar domains then it's a good red flag to check for spelling .. lol .. Estibot has made it's money for me in not buying plenty of typo domains .. lol)

•••
@Ategy.com - I'm in basic agreement with you, for what and when to use either GoDaddy or Estibot valuations :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back