IT.COM

GoDaddy locked my account for second time this week

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Should I be worried?

Is somebody trying to hack the account or what?

Has somebody experienced this?

What do you think? Should I transfer the domains to another godaddy account or out of godaddy?

Thanks in advance.:wave:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
have you called them and asked why?

from that info you can solve the issue with them - and hopefully all will be ok.

•••
You might have typed your password incorrectly too many times

•••
I asked them - and they said exactly the same - password incorectly too many times. However I haven't done this. The first time they sent me the link to unlock it. I did it. And now 5 days later - my account is locked again. And again I should write them and wait for their answers ..... This is really stupid. If somebody targeted me - he can play with me all the time....

•••
Try changing your login username. It's in the security settings section

•••
Same thing happened to me on Monday, Wednesday, and yet again this morning (Friday). It happens at night because I wake up to the "locked account" email. On Wednesday I changed my username thinking someone got a hold of it. Then this morning I saw it was locked again, so it can't be my username. So either someone has my account number or something fishy is going on. I only log into my account via my laptop, which is fully clean of malware so it's not like there is a keylogger or rootkit hidden.

I've never had any issues with GoDaddy though so I'm not worried, just curious.

I did have a hunch but it's ONLY me filtering out causes. But the only other place I ever entered my GoDaddy account number at was Protrada. I changed my password shortly after that at GoDaddy but did not at Protrada. So maybe Protrada has some process running that validates username against posted domains. I removed my GoDaddy account from Protrada to see if that fixes it. But again, not saying it is Protrada at all, just giving you my steps so far. %%-

•••
@Sully, Well I think its a Godaddy system bug then. Huh? OR someone got your account number.
Never give your account no. while asking for domain transfer or domain push. World is full of wicked people.

•••
@Robin...not sure what it is actually. Trust me, nobody has my account number aside from the Protrada system. That's why I wanted to take it out of the equation. So now if I get locked out again I know someone has my account number. Luckily my account locks after 3 tries and I have an account manager to prevent theft, but still annoying. But again, not saying it is Protrada at all...just trying to eliminate what it "could" be so I can find out what it actually is. Strange though that it's not just me seeing this happen this week. My account never gets locked out prior to this week.

•••
My account never gets locked out prior to this week.

Mine too. That seems really strange. I will surely transfer all my domains out of this account to another godaddy account.

•••

OP, are you selecting a login name that might be easy to guess?

I treat my login name like I treat my password. I have selected a term known only to me.

I like Domainmonster's sign-in: an email address. I use a dedicated email for this purpose, which is totally separate from my Whois emails.

I do think that Godaddy could do a better job of setting up its security infrastructure in a much more secure manner. For example, requiring a non-whois email address as the login ID/account email.

Meanwhile, we have to work with the tools we have.

•••
Sully,

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Go Daddy account. We are looking into things on our end to assure that the linking of your GoDaddy account to Protrada was not the culprit.

Security is our top priority and any time that our users are experiencing difficulties we make sure to investigate on our end as thoroughly as possible.

-Protrada Support team

@Robin...not sure what it is actually. Trust me, nobody has my account number aside from the Protrada system. That's why I wanted to take it out of the equation. So now if I get locked out again I know someone has my account number. Luckily my account locks after 3 tries and I have an account manager to prevent theft, but still annoying. But again, not saying it is Protrada at all...just trying to eliminate what it "could" be so I can find out what it actually is. Strange though that it's not just me seeing this happen this week. My account never gets locked out prior to this week.

•••
I did have a hunch but it's ONLY me filtering out causes. But the only other place I ever entered my GoDaddy account number at was Protrada. I changed my password shortly after that at GoDaddy but did not at Protrada. So maybe Protrada has some process running that validates username against posted domains. I removed my GoDaddy account from Protrada to see if that fixes it. But again, not saying it is Protrada at all, just giving you my steps so far. %%-

Now that you mention it, this is a very good possibility.

You will always leave the possibility of issues whenever you provide your account information to a third party unrelated to the actual site.

While I do not use Protrada, something similar happened to me with some of my email accounts in the past.

I had one central email service set up to regularly poll and collect email from all my of my email accounts. All of a sudden, I was temporarily locked out of my Gmail and my ISP email accounts. Turns out it was checking the pop3 way too often causing the lock.

In your case, perhaps GoDaddy has implemented some new security measures behind the scenes, and Protrada is logging into your account more frequently than what GoDaddy deems "normal"

•••
Our tech team has investigated this issue to make sure that our system was not contributing to the problem. It does not look like Protrada is the cause of the issue. We have also decided to add in a functionality to make sure that we do not run into any similar errors in the future. If our system detects that there is a discrepancy between a users account details that they have submitted within Protrata and the details they have saved in Go Daddy, the link between the two will be disabled. They will then be able to correct the information and log back in.

Thanks,
Protrada Support Team

•••
The worst security GoDaddy has is when you buy a domain and transfer it from one GoDaddy account to another, you have to provide the seller with your GoDaddy Account No and Account eMail address. So I have two GoDaddy Accounts. One to receive pushes and a second account where I keep my domains. I push to the second account immediately I receive the domain. I'd recommend that structure to everyone.

•••
I do the same except I have 10 pushes to 10 different accounts. :lol:

The worst security GoDaddy has is when you buy a domain and transfer it from one GoDaddy account to another, you have to provide the seller with your GoDaddy Account No and Account eMail address. So I have two GoDaddy Accounts. One to receive pushes and a second account where I keep my domains. I push to the second account immediately I receive the domain. I'd recommend that structure to everyone.

•••
I do the same except I have 10 pushes to 10 different accounts. :lol:

Why do you need more than 1 account for your Godaddy registered domains?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back