discuss Godaddy just took away a domain from my account

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

yogiDomain

DemonerTop Member
Impact
I had my first worst experience with godaddy today.

I had brought a domain at buy it now price from Godaddy auction(it was not expiring or closeout domain). I paid for it. Then waited for long 7 days as usual. Then i received a mail that the Domain has been pushed to my account. After 4-5 hours i received a mail from Godaddy that they have received a Refund request from that particular domain, and the domain will be taken back.
I called godaddy support immediately to check what this mail is. Apparently the seller of the domain called godaddy and said "he dint want to sell the domain and he want his domain back". So the refund process is started. I asked the support personal that is this valid request, as the seller had 7 days to cancel this request initially and after the domain is in my account why all of sudden he want his domain back. They said we cant do anything about it. That is the plain reply i got and I am seating furious cursing godaddy for this.

So guys let me know if this is a valid request by the seller, whether seller of the domain can get back the domain even after account change?
If this is allowed and if this happens regularly then i think i will be at peace and let go the domain. I am still trying to figure this out and in touch with the support.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes this is possible, although usually I have it happen before domain goes into my account. They still have a few day to claim it.

•••
I have the domain in my account.the process is done. But Godaddy will be soon taking it away.

•••
Ooops, sorry about that I misread your post :) I had it happen on expired auction/closeouts.

•••
That is shocking business practice IMO

•••
I have the domain in my account.the process is done. But Godaddy will be soon taking it away.

can you post the domain name? so we can watch how it will go further...

•••
Classic case of seller's remorse. I would take some screen shots of the name actually in your account, just in case they are needed later. Best to read through GD auction TOS to clarify what their policy is on the matter. You can always take to social networking and make the issue known on their Twit/FBook accounts, in hopes of some sort of answer or better assistance. It seems to me the transaction was fully concluded once funds exchanged hands, and the name push was completed, but often times there is something within the 'fine print' that gives the original registrant the upper hand. I hope it works in your favor. Do keep us posted.

•••
That is shocking business practice IMO
Yes this are the exact words i said to the Support staff. But they had the same answer to it.
I dont know what is the possible solution to it. Rather than replying to the seller that the domain is sold and transfered, they are bothering me and mistaking me for it.

•••
Possible scenarios:

1. Perhaps the domain was put up for sale by a domain thief, and the real owner reclaimed his/her property.

2. The domain had been a closeout/expired listing, bought and paid for by the seller, and by some glitch (which happens a lot at Go Daddy) remained on the auction platform for sale.

3. The domain was an open/public sales listing BEFORE it went to expiration status and never got removed.​

These are just possibilities, of course.

I do think that Go Daddy owes you a more detailed explanation.

If you don't want to splash the specific domain on a forum, maybe PM one of the many sleuths on this forum.

Also, you can look up the name on Archive.org (Wayback machine).

•••
I had my first worst experience with godaddy today.

I had brought a domain at buy it now price from Godaddy auction(it was not expiring or closeout domain). I paid for it. Then waited for long 7 days as usual. Then i received a mail that the Domain has been pushed to my account. After 4-5 hours i received a mail from Godaddy that they have received a Refund request from that particular domain, and the domain will be taken back.
I called godaddy support immediately to check what this mail is. Apparently the seller of the domain called godaddy and said "he dint want to sell the domain and he want his domain back". So the refund process is started. I asked the support personal that is this valid request, as the seller had 7 days to cancel this request initially and after the domain is in my account why all of sudden he want his domain back. They said we cant do anything about it. That is the plain reply i got and I am seating furious cursing godaddy for this.

So guys let me know if this is a valid request by the seller, whether seller of the domain can get back the domain even after account change?
If this is allowed and if this happens regularly then i think i will be at peace and let go the domain. I am still trying to figure this out and in touch with the support.

•••
NOT TRUE!!

Godaddy will NOT take away a domain already in your account, the seller was too late...

The domain has been sold!!!

Enjoy!!

•••
Classic case of seller's remorse. I would take some screen shots of the name actually in your account, just in case they are needed later. Best to read through GD auction TOS to clarify what their policy is on the matter. You can always take to social networking and make the issue known on their Twit/FBook accounts, in hopes of some sort of answer or better assistance. It seems to me the transaction was fully concluded once funds exchanged hands, and the name push was completed, but often times there is something within the 'fine print' that gives the original registrant the upper hand. I hope it works in your favor. Do keep us posted.

Well thanks for directing me.

Seller Agreement
As a Seller, you are obligated to complete the transaction if Buyer commits to purchase the domain name through a fixed price, Buy Now format, or if Buyer meets or exceeds the minimum bid or reserve price. Should you fail to complete the transaction for any reason (including, but not limited to, failing to move the domain name to Buyer’s account if Buyer commits to purchase the domain name through a fixed price, Buy Now format, or if Buyer meets or exceeds the minimum bid or reserve price), GoDaddy reserves the right to (i) charge you a fee or (ii) terminate your membership with GoDaddy Auctions (as determined by GoDaddy in it sole and absolute discretion).

Buyer Agreement
Should Seller refuse payment, the funds, minus the administration fee as outlined in the pricing structure, will be returned to you. You agree GoDaddy is not responsible for payments refused by Seller.

I think i cant do anything about it.
Godaddy has some what 2 different and contradictory statements.

NOT TRUE!!

Godaddy will NOT take away a domain already in your account, the seller was too late...

The domain has been sold!!!

Enjoy!!

I just wish this could happen. I will be happy.

I do think that Go Daddy owes you a more detailed explanation.

Also, you can look up the name on Archive.org (Wayback machine).

Godaddy doesnt have any explanation for it. The support in India is very much new, most of the time they dont know what i am asking. can US support help me?

I saw Archive .org the domain was parked then there was a small information site till date.

•••
1. If it is a theft of some sort then it will be litigated.

2. Expired buy now domains will not appear in your account if original owner paid a redemption fee to recover. You will get a refund in that case.

3. Expired and dropped domain names with existing auction links will not be removed from new owners account if old owner had it listed in a Godaddy auction but failed to remove before expiration. Those auction links are dead.

•••
1. If it is a theft of some sort then it will be litigated.

2. Expired buy now domains will not appear in your account if original owner paid a redemption fee to recover. You will get a refund in that case.

3. Expired and dropped domain names with existing auction links will not be removed from new owners account if old owner had it listed in a Godaddy auction but failed to remove before expiration. Those auction links are dead.
1. I really dont know if it was stolen or something.
2. It wasnt expired domain.
3. I think the link wasnt dead. Generally if the old owner forgets to remove the listing the payment is refunded within 3-4 days. with regrets from godaddy. If the domain is listed by current owner, in that case the domain is honor to the buyer. So the current owner had listed the domain through his account, the sellers remorse might have hit him.

•••
They really need to revise their policies if this sort of thing is legal and defined in their ToS. This is terrible business practice on their end if this is true.

•••
I've had a domain yanked after I paid but before name was in my account. Even in my case it was egregious.

•••
I posted a detailed thread about 6 months ago about how i bought a Premium domain and they transferred it to my account and then took it back. I called and the manager's supervisor told me there was nothing they could do, but they did say that the seller increased the price before i bought it but that their system didn't update properly and so it was Godaddy's lag time. And so the domain was transferred back to the seller.

•••
yeah its possible and happened with one of my friend too

•••
If you transferred the name to another account I wonder if they legally would have been able to retrieve the domain. For example, my wife has an account under her maiden name and if I bought a domain and as soon as that domain was transferred into my account I then push it into her account I am curious if they could legally get the name. I could say I bought it and re-sold it and pushed it to the new buyers account. Does anyone know what legal recourse they would have in retrieving the domain at that point.

•••
Has happened to me well after it was in my account. I bought the domain from a NamePro member and it was immediately pushed. A couple days later they took it back saying that the person who sold it to me didn't have the right to sell it. The NamePro seller refunded my money. Never did know why.

•••
Are you forgetting gd's domains by proxy? You cannot cancel it unless you go through all kinds of steps. You can let a domain go, it can sell but you still get billed for it via domains by proxy at about 40 per yr,so if that happened then you'll lose it.

•••
If you transferred the name to another account I wonder if they legally would have been able to retrieve the domain. For example, my wife has an account under her maiden name and if I bought a domain and as soon as that domain was transferred into my account I then push it into her account I am curious if they could legally get the name. I could say I bought it and re-sold it and pushed it to the new buyers account. Does anyone know what legal recourse they would have in retrieving the domain at that point.
I had thought about it..but go daddy has the reputation to shut account for any reason they can think of...so I don't want to risk my other domains..I m still yet to receive a mail from them..

•••
@hookbox I tried that, but when you try to push/transfer domain, it will attempt, but then I got an error message saying the domains 'status' will not allow for a transfer at this time.

•••
Yogi, this seems strange to me. Can you send me a PM with the domain and I will look into it for you.

•••
@hookbox I tried that, but when you try to push/transfer domain, it will attempt, but then I got an error message saying the domains 'status' will not allow for a transfer at this time.
Thanks. I was curious if it could be done.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back