Dynadot

GoDaddy grabs a valuable domain name from their customer because of invalid email

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is the main reason why I have stopped using godaddy. If my whois info is incorrect that's a problem between me and icann. This doesn't mean my registrar should sell the domain.

There is also a difference between having incorrect whois and being unreachable. Because godaddy can't reach me doesn't mean the contact info is incorrect.

Godaddy you are *ing maniac idiots who are obsessed with whois info. I'm warning others everywhere about this crap.

I think it is technically possible to write a program that scans godaddy whois info for incorrect admin emails. All you need is lists of admin emails of godaddy domains. If there is a bulk whois tool this should do it. Then you would send message to all these emails and those that are not valid will return the email.

Also sometimes people use an email adress of another domain they have. If that other domain has expired the email address will become incorrect although it was perfectly correct before. So another dodgy way for scammer would be to compare expired domain lists to godaddy whois admin emails.

Let's say you own johnrobert.com. Your email adress is [email protected]. You are using that email for everything. You have also set [email protected] as admin email for your other domains. Maybe this is also the email you are uΔ±sing for your registrar account. For some reason you were unable to renew it. Maybe you were in hospital, you had an accident or something else has happened.

If I was a scammer and found out that johnrobert.com has expired and there are valuable domains that use [email protected] as admin email then I would register that domain when it becomes available. If this was an organized plan I would have lots of domains like johnrobert.com. Probably I want use a domain tasting registrar because I don't want to pay 8 USD for all those potentially usefull domains, right? I only need it for the email account.

If I can get it I would try to login to the registrar account and choose "I forget my password" and they would email it to my brand new email address.

If could not get it then I would check the registrar of those valuable domains. If any are with godaddy I'm in luck. I would claim incorrect whois info because I know the owner won't get the email because johnrobert.com has expired.

Another thing is that icann's whois policy is also completely wrong. Because I want to register a domain should not mean everybody can access my full name, address, email and phone number. I agree that this info should be required but it shouldn't be public.

Last edited:
•••
There is MANY reasons for your info in WHOIS to be correct. If you are violating a copyright then the company or person needs a way to contact you legally. Theres many more reasons...

•••
MarcelProust said:
Another thing is that icann's whois policy is also completely wrong. Because I want to register a domain should not mean everybody can access my full name, address, email and phone number. I agree that this info should be required but it shouldn't be public.

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1172656996106

An organization that polices the domain name system is likely to decide this year -- after several years of debate -- to adopt a new policy that would let Web site owners keep most of their contact information confidential when they register for a name. Instead, they would be allowed to list a separate go-between point of contact.

The new policy would replace a current system that displays owners' names and contact information in the so-called "Whois" database, an online directory of domain name owners.

A council of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or ICANN, will consider a report on the issue at a March meeting. ICANN's board is likely to act on it as early as June, according to attorneys involved in the process.

Lawyers for companies with well-known names such as The Walt Disney Co., eBay Inc. and Bank of America Corp., who use the contact information to stop illicit use of trademarks in the domain names of noncompany Web sites, would like to maintain as much disclosure as possible.

On the other side of the debate are privacy advocates, including universities, public interest groups and churches, who say Web site owners should be able to keep their contact information under wraps and that stricter privacy laws outside the United States weigh in favor of greater confidentiality.

Millions of dollars are at stake for the corporate camp, while basic rights are at issue for the privacy advocates.

"It's become really contentious," said Rita Rodin, an attorney with Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom of New York who sits on the 21-member ICANN board, explaining that each side is now so passionate about its view that it can't grasp the other's perspective.

"There will need to be action on this, this year."

•••
ZuraX said:
Thats their job. If you cant keep your info correct then you shouldnt have a domain.

I thought Hitler was dead? :hehe:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back