IT.COM

information GoDaddy Expiration Timeline (FYI)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I was speaking with a colleague about this subject and found a good chart so I thought I would share.

GD-Expiration-Timeline.png

Here is a link to the actual webpage:
https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-when-my-domain-expires-609

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting that you can bid on your name while still being able to redeem it. I never knew that.

•••
Thanks! :)

Last edited:
•••
Judging by the chart above, lucky number 19 is the day I will wait before I get excited about the current registrant not renewing. I have a spreadsheet with Godaddy Expired domains that I am monitoring.

•••
Interesting that you can bid on your name while still being able to redeem it. I never knew that.

Yeah , I've spotted that and I'm sure that it has been mentioned here on NP before.

So long as it's showing in your account window you can still transfer out,(transfer code request remains active) Epik are completing transfers in about 20 minute time line providing you go straight back in to Godaddy to confirm.

All my domains are leaving godaddy - when you can save 60% on your renewal.at Epik. Far better than Godaddy's "once you see it now you don't" depending on which screen you view with past renewal date"

Also be aware that Godaddy help staff (that's a joke) will try to stitch you up without a moments hesitation (full redemption charge ) if you phone about recovery - even after 12 days

Thanks for the chart though

Last edited:
•••
Also, from experience I know that not all domains go to Godaddy auctions. Some go straight to general pendingDelete status. 2 domains I was monitoring expired on exactly the same date. One I was able to get on the cheap in GD auctions. The other skipped GD auctions and is now unfortunately in HUGE DOMAINS possession and they are asking high x,xxx for it.

I have no idea why some domains skip the auctions. Could it be related to domain age or some other reason?? In the case I stated above, both domains were .COM so the extension cannot be singled out as the reason

•••
Also, from experience I know that not all domains go to Godaddy auctions. Some go straight to general pendingDelete status. 2 domains I was monitoring expired on exactly the same date. One I was able to get on the cheap in GD auctions. The other skipped GD auctions and is now unfortunately in HUGE DOMAINS possession and they are asking high x,xxx for it.

I have no idea why some domains skip the auctions. Could it be related to domain age or some other reason?? In the case I stated above, both domains were .COM so the extension cannot be singled out as the reason
That's a good question. It seems they all go to auction but if there are no backorders or bids, they then go straight to closeouts.

•••
Godaddy's systems are not consistent - quite often they buy in for themselves (Registration will show a Godaddy hold account) - but that's them just paying the renewal costs themselves - got a couple of my old ones in there that I didn't renew. from over a year ago. You'll see a contact "If your interested in this domain"

Trust me Godaddy will drain your blood while your asleep if they get half-the-chance. Shame they were good at the very start - Yep going back a lot of years. I personally wouldn't mind the opportunism if they were anything but rip-off merchants in every aspect of their business

Last edited:
•••
@Silentptnr I do not know the exact percentage but I do know that there are at least a minority of names that skip GD auctions even thought the name is registered at Godaddy. In all honesty, there is a benefit to the auctions. The other alternative is for the names to get snagged by DropCatch.com and they lose their original registration date. I've noticed that names tend to go higher at DropCatch for some reason.

•••
@Silentptnr I do not know the exact percentage but I do know that there are at least a minority of names that skip GD auctions even thought the name is registered at Godaddy. In all honesty, there is a benefit to the auctions. The other alternative is for the names to get snagged by DropCatch.com and they lose their original registration date. I've noticed that names tend to go higher at DropCatch for some reason.
A month or so ago, I bought a group of 6 or 7 names as a package. All regged at GoDaddy. I only really wanted one of the names in the bunch. They were all expiring. I let the others expire purposely.

The names (were so bad I guess) that somehow all this time later they are still in my account showing as redeemable.

I never checked to see if they were listed in closeouts at the same time showing redeemable in my account. That would be funny. I should check.

•••
I don't know the position in the US but Godaddy are on every UK channel (or so it seems) every advertising break - love to put a user reality check on that given half a chance. be it domains or service levels

•••
I really do find their Expiration Timeline agressive. Much more so than other registrars based on my experience.

I am somewhat embarrassed that I never before took the time to find that chart. Now I know with certainty each step of their process.....somewhat. I agree that there may be deviation from this timeline.

•••
funny how they don't mention transfer anyway ;)

well.. at least we got it confirmed you can transdfer out a name til day 30.. or more if no bids.. but day 30 seems guaranteed.

someone recently said they changed that to day 16 or so.

•••
It's just amazing to me that they allow you to bid on your own expired domain.

So in theory, you could win it back for less that the amount of their redemption fee?

•••
I really do find their Expiration Timeline agressive. Much more so than other registrars based on my experience

That I would consider 'Overtly' diplomatic rhetoric. They've been shafting their customers for years

•••
It's just amazing to me that they allow you to bid on your own expired domain.

So in theory, you could win it back for less that the amount of their redemption fee?

It can be fun to watch and decide about the $70 ...(been there, done that) shows you the integrity of Godaddy's business proposition.

Godaddy "Maybe I sell Maybe I don't" - Maybe good contract - Maybe I speak no English.
When you find a worm in your work- watch out for the snake

Last edited:
•••
I really do find their Expiration Timeline agressive. Much more so than other registrars based on my experience.

I am somewhat embarrassed that I never before took the time to find that chart. Now I know with certainty each step of their process.....somewhat. I agree that there may be deviation from this timeline.

I've had a chat with my Premier Account service rep about this.

It seems that for domains that don't get chosen by their team to be put up for auction. The domain has the usual timeline as any other registrar as far as an expired domain ending up in redemption phase.

I'm still a bit confused about it myself.

Basically if the domain sucks and even if it goes to auction but gets no bids.

nothing happens after 19 days or at least you can pay the redemption fee or in some cases can even renew it for regular price.

Don't quote me but it seems to get the full 30 days.

now if it does go to auction. It will still need to have a bid on it for that after the 18th day redemption rule.

seems complicated to me. too risky for me. This is why I transfer before the 18 days. way before.

•••
how do you bookmark threads tho?

•••
•••
When you buy a GoDaddy-registered expired domain on GoDaddy Auction, then is it almost 100% profit for GoDaddy?

Let's say someone registered a domain on Godaddy, and that domain expired, goes to GoDaddy Auction and someone buys it for $2000, then is it $2000 (minus 1 year renewal cost) profit for GoDaddy?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back