Dynadot

GoDaddy Currency Format Issue

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Since Monday of this week, I have been experiencing a serious issue with the GoDaddy Auctions page relating to the "Currency Format". @Joe Styler

To be exact, I am getting (using English -US or English-CA profile + USD currency settings just to be sure) European currency formats, which use a Period instead of a Comma to denote thousands.

This is a huge issue because when I load these into Excel or Access, it treats $4.100 as $4.10.

I emailed GD Auctions support on Monday, but they have no clue and replied back thinking I had trouble buying an auction, along with a canned response - do they even read these emails?

To help illustrate this further, here is an screen capture of the GD Expired Auctions page, clearly showing the "Periods for Commas" error:

currency_gd.JPG

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My latest reply from GoDaddy Auction support:

"Thank you for contacting AfterMarket Support. When you are entering prices, you should be entering numbers ONLY. There are no decimals, commas, or symbols. Enter whole dollars ONLY. Do not enter cents."

Not to be rude, but do they even read the emails?

•••

Last edited:
•••
but do they even read the emails?
It depends on the support agent imo. Another agent might provide better response (confirming and escalating the issue). However, I have to admit that the quality of responses was somewhat improved in 2019-2020 though... But there is still a lot to work on.

•••
I'm thinking someone at GD thinks Canada is part of Europe and (after a system update) if it senses you are from this country, automatically adjusts the currency format to Europe. Quebec does use a decimal format for thousands (as they are essentially French in law, language and formatting), but the English provinces using a comma for thousands.

This issue doesn't happen on any other site that displays $ currencies, so it's not a regional setting issue on a browser or OS, and after using GD Auctions for years without issue, it suddenly started happening this Monday. Very weird.

And in case I didn't mention it, this is happening on multiple devices, from PCs to laptops to phones.

Last edited:
•••
I'm thinking someone at GD thinks Canada is part of Europe

LOL.

This reminded me about something I was NEVER able to successfully escalate with their various departments... Visiting GoDaddy from South America? If there is no localized version for your country, you will end up on Mexican Spanish version showing exotic Mexican Pesos currency. Not on U.S./Spanish/USD version as you would expect.

Visiting GoDaddy from Europe or Asia? Again, if there no localized version for your country - then they will send you to United Kingdom version with British Pounds currency! One would expect prices in Euros or USD (somewhat global currencies) in this case, not in GBP which is usable and understandable only in UK.

Long story short: GoDaddy, how about Geography classes ? ;)

Last edited:
•••
Okay, I think I just figured it out.

GoDaddy has (apparently) recently added some (not) Smart IP technologies that tries to sense and adjust your settings based on your IP address. I turned off my Internet, fired up my phone on data, and all the settings went back to normal with commas for thousands. I opened up a hotspot, linked a laptop and bingo, I was back in North America.

In Canada, Bell and Rogers have a lot of Quebec IPs they use, and apparently GD is arbitrarily and completely relying on the IP location (and disregarding my profile settings) to reset all my regional options on their site. Good job!

I told GD Auction support this possibility in my very first email (which was totally disregarded), and now I'm doing their job for them.

Hopefully someone at GD can fix this, as there are a LOT of Canadians who are going to be erroneously flagged as Euro-Quebec and get those wonderful decimals in their currency.

Last edited:
•••
•••
No idea if anyone fixed anything or my modem crashed and switched IPs while I was busy, but I have proper English formatting, including commas for separators.

I'm crossing my fingers it sticks.

•••
And it's back to European standards... I give up.

•••
@DomainRecap If you are entering a price you should only use commas not periods. Sorry i couldn't resist.

I'll ask around and see if we changed something on Monday.

•••
•••
I see this happening also, and I'm in the US. I noticed it again just yesterday in fact when searching closeouts.

It's not so new, I saw it many weeks back.

Last edited:
•••
So now after talking to support yesterday, I do see the proper Currency Format on the webpage, with commas for thousands.

Unfortunately, the generated CSV files are even more broken, and feature a "blank space" instead of a comma.

For example, here is the raw text from a GD-generated CSV file with the currency field highlighted:

332854802,janey.com,0,65,$1 176,$10 923,,2020/08/01 01:27 PM (PDT),Auction

@Joe Styler Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it just did.

Last edited:
•••
We are looking into it. The developers are actively working on it.

•••
Thanks for the help Joe, and after some reversions here and there, the problem seems to be (knock on wood) fixed and I haven't seen a currency issue over the last 5 days.

•••
Sure thanks for the heads up. Glad we could help.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back