IT.COM

GoDaddy Closeouts - Shopping cart $ blowout

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I've been out of the domain game for years now. Just going through Godaddy closeouts and find something decent for $7. Add to cart, they want to add .com renewal for $19.99/yr. Huh? First who pays $19.99 to renew a .com - not me. I thought buying an expired domain included the renewal?
Whatever the case - is there any way to get around this ridiculous rip off and actually buy closeout domains without having to add $20 to every purchase? Quite defeats the purpose of "cheap" otherwise.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
$7 is without the yearly fee. Install the "Honey" browser plugin to get you the best coupon. You will likely pay around $7 + $9 = $16.

•••
Thanks for the plugin info, wasn't aware of that one.
Geez GD is a ripoff. No wonder I ditched them long ago and never went back.

•••
$7 is without the yearly fee. Install the "Honey" browser plugin to get you the best coupon. You will likely pay around $7 + $9 = $16.
What is the "honey" browser Plugin ?

•••
Check it again. Often it defaults to 2 years of registration. Also they charge you the renewal rate. At the very least you can drop it to 1 year renewal and use a coupon if possible.

GoDaddy reg pricing has become non-competitive IMO.

Last edited:
•••
if you are a regular buyer at godaddy auctions, consider paying for the domain discount club.

last I checked, the DDC prices applied to domain auction purchases - the renewal part, not the auction fee.

•••
It just says .COM Domain Renewal $19.99/yr so it's just one year.

I've tried 4 coupons so far and none have worked.

•••
Quite often coupons don't work on renewals. It's a Catch 22. Also didn't realize you're in AU, might explain the cost also.

•••
Yes, but it's charging me in US dollars so $7 + $19.99

The only coupon I've found to work is a 30% off. Still doesn't get anywhere near what a .com costs at Namecheap with a coupon. I'm suddenly not so keen on cheap closeout domains -_-

•••
I've been out of the domain game for years now. Just going through Godaddy closeouts and find something decent for $7. Add to cart, they want to add .com renewal for $19.99/yr. Huh? First who pays $19.99 to renew a .com - not me. I thought buying an expired domain included the renewal?
Whatever the case - is there any way to get around this ridiculous rip off and actually buy closeout without having to add $20 to every purchase? Quite defeats the purpose of "cheap" otherwise.

You can try using a coupon code of 20, 30, 35% discount -what you just did- (and maybe if you buy enough a couponcode that gives you discount if you buy for more then 50 or 75 $). But other codes don't work any more with renewals.(and technically in the Aftermarket you pay additional to your bid, a renewal).
Look here in this thread => https://www.namepros.com/threads/godaddy-discount-codes.577802/page-898#post-5759064

The reason is money of course. In the thread above you'll find that in the last year big change has happened : For new .coms or transfers, you don't get 0,99 or 2,99 codes any more to work. If you once used such a code with your account, you can't use it in the future any more.

About your problem => There's another solution => You can avoid this problem by becoming member of the "Godaddy Discount Domain Club". (= between 110 and 140 USD/year, depending if you live in the US or not, -because in Europe VAT has to be payed upon the membership-).
One consolation =>BUT You can use a 30% , 40% or 20% code for paying your membership of the club, so that the membership doesn't cost you as much, when you buy it for 1 year (or more). (You should get your membership then for 75-115 USD or so depending where you live.
Membership gives guaranteed some 40% discount on a lot (but not all) renewals ((and sometimes if you are member you can use an additional %-code that gives not that % but an additional 10% off.)). => https://www.godaddy.com/domains/discount-domains.aspx THIS LINK WILL BRING YOU TO THE PLACE WHERE YOU CAN BECOME MEMBER. And if you click on "Prices", you will see the pricing (guaranteed, unless of course some changements in the pricing from a registry occurs). So for new domains AND ALSO for renewals you get discounts with this Discount Domain Club membership.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
How much would be the "whois privacy" option with "Godaddy Discount Domain Club" ?

•••
How much would be the "whois privacy" option with "Godaddy Discount Domain Club" ?
Don't know for sure. 7.99 usd ? But due there's a promotion ongoing on privacy instead of 9.99 - 2 $ = 7.99. I don't know for sure.
You have to call godaddy to know for sure, if you don't find it on their site.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back