Dynadot

question GoDaddy Auctions member: Relist domain on 7 day auction?

NameSilo
Watch

Leo2k

Established Member
Impact
I see that if you are a GoDaddy member by paying $5/year, you can run free auctions on GoDaddy.
So, if you are listing a domain for auction on GoDaddy 7day auction and the auction ended without any successful bid, can you relist the domain immediately? Is there any limitation on listing again?
And, when is the best time to list the domain for auction? (Weekdays/Weekends/avoid Holidays?)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And, when is the best time to list the domain for auction? (Weekdays/Weekends/avoid Holidays?)

Yes, by all means avoid weekends and holidays.

You should be able to relist your unsold auction immediately. I don't know about limitations if any.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
So, if you are listing a domain for auction on GoDaddy 7day auction and the auction ended without any successful bid, can you relist the domain immediately? Is there any limitation on listing again?
Yes, you can immediately relist. Just make certain about the limitation on the numbers of days left before expiration. At the time, it was restricted to domains not expiring within I think 60 or 90 days. This policy may have changed since, but it certainly seemed very peculiar as a requirement back then.

You should be able to relist your unsold auction immediately. I don't know about limitations if any.

Great question. I tried various timings over the years. This was an attempt to pare down my portfolio, and I aggressively tried various permutations. It never seemed to matter, even with using featured listings. The effort proved time consuming and fruitless. There was never an indication that anyone was seeing the listings. Ultimately, I stopped using them completely.

However, if someone has had more success listing using specific days of the week, that might be an interesting factor. Also, perhaps there have been significant improvements over the past few years. So if anyone has had real success with the auctions, hopefully they can share that here.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
The effort proved time consuming and fruitless. There was never an indication that anyone was seeing the listings. Ultimately, I stopped using them completely.
Had the same doubt but then assumed people were actually seeing those listings, as there are few domains that have bidders. By any chance we have to promote to get bidders considering huge number of domains listed for auction there? Have you tried any other auction site which was successful?

•••
Upvote 0

Great. Thank you. And, is there a better domain auction site other than GoDaddy which is either free or not charging for every listing (I see that Sedo charges for every listing).

•••
Upvote 0
Have you tried any other auction site which was successful?
With Sedo, I had tried their auction after receiving a bid on a domain. They have an option of converting a bid to a start to a five-day auction on their site. There was no evidence of any views even for those five days, and no other bids were received. I never bothered trying them again.

As for other auction options, Namepros might be a reasonable choice to consider. There sure is quite a bit of activity there, and @Bob Hawkes and @D Haynes have kindly provided some guidance on this ongoing thread on Namepros selling suggestions

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 1
With Sedo, I had tried their auction after receiving a bid on a domain. They have an option of converting a bid to a start to a five-day auction on their site. There was no evidence of any views even for those five days, and no other bids were received. I never bothered trying them again.
Great. Thank you for sharing your experience.

•••
Upvote 0
Great. Thank you for sharing your experience.
To clarify that last comment, I never tried their auctions again. Using their marketplace has had only that one sale this past year, but there are supposedly improvements being made to help sales. So have continued to use their marketplace.
Good luck exploring the options!

•••
Upvote 0
Both Namesilo and Dynadot run auctions in their respective marketplaces. I have never used them but maybe another member could offer some insight here (or better yet, search other threads); otherwise just dig in and run a trial auction to test the waters. Don't spend $$ to promote your listings.

I think the bottom line is that except for highly liquid (3L, 4L, single keyword dictionary) names, auctions are not the proper venue for selling your domains unless you're willing to settle for wholesale or fire sale type outcomes. Godaddy auctions in specific is not the place because brandable or two-KW names, for example, will never compete with the expired listings. Sadly, that is by design by Godaddy.

•••
Upvote 1
Sure. Will have a check on those Auction sites.

•••
Upvote 0
Both Namesilo and Dynadot run auctions in their respective marketplaces. I have never used them but maybe another member could offer some insight here (or better yet, search other threads);
And this is an important point here. Folks here ask all the time what registrar is best. One important consideration may be whether a registrar has an effective platform for registrants to sell their domains.

Our original post here alludes to when and the limitations on the auction listings. Why isn't there a simple way that the auction can't be relisted with one or two clicks?

Yes, please explore all your options, including how easy it is to relist the domains at those other registrars and how many listings are there. Also, how many folks here report success with sales on their marketplaces. Some of these registrars are providing very competitive transfer offers, so it's worth exploring.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Our original post here alludes to when and the limitations on the auction listings. In retrospect, it was extremely disappointing that there was not a simple way of relisting an auction at GD that just expired. Relisting, IMHO, was cumbersome, and the results were always the same.

Have you been taking masterclasses with Bob H.?

Just teasing.

•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
And this is an important point here. Folks here ask all the time what registrar is best. One important consideration may be whether a registrar has an effective platform for registrants to sell their domains.
Yes, please explore all your options, including how easy it is to relist the domains at those other registrars, and how many folks here report success with sales on their marketplaces. Some of these registrars are providing very competitive transfer offers, so it's worth exploring.
That is right. Namecheap seems to have a marketplace, but they don't allow domains registered elsewhere to be listed for sale. You can only sell your domain registered through them, through your dashboard. And, there is no way you can list a domain for auction there even if you have registered the domain with them. Those auctions seems to be either expired domains or through their partners.
Am still exploring other options. But I believe I have to wait till this holiday season is over before listing anywhere.

•••
Upvote 0
That is right. Namecheap seems to have a marketplace, but they don't allow domains registered elsewhere to be listed for sale. You can only sell your domain registered through them, through your dashboard. And, there is no way you can list a domain for auction there even if you have registered the domain with them. Those auctions seems to be either expired domains or through their partners.
Yes, I recently double checked that fact. To their credit, at least for the marketplace it is very simple to do a marketplace listing with a few clicks. Methinks their search engine also could use a bit of a tune up.

Dynadot seems quite popular. There are no charges currently for the listings. Currently, their auction commission is 10%, in contrast to their marketplace commission, which is only 5%! They require that you have been with them for at least six months before you can receive payouts rather than credits for the sales. The minimum payout is $100, same as Namecheap. They struck me as the most interesting alternative.
Am still exploring other options. But I believe I have to wait till this holiday season is over before listing anywhere.
Perhaps. Don't be afraid to try various options, including the different marketplaces. You may be pleasantly suprised. Some folks are on vacation and may be considering lifestyle an career changes. Every day is a potential opportunity to find happy new homes for your domains!

•••
Upvote 0
Dynadot seems quite popular. There are no charges currently for the listings. Currently, their auction commission is 10%, in contrast to their marketplace commission, which is only 5%! They require that you have been with them for at least six months before you can receive payouts rather than credits for the sales. The minimum payout is $100, same as Namecheap. They struck me as the most interesting alternative.
And they ask another 5% for payout as well which takes it to 15%. Have to recheck other platforms what they have mentioned about the same. And couldn't understand the 6 months with them for account payout rule. Not going to launch any auction and keep the money with them for 6 months, but going to open an account with them. At least it may be useful after 5-6 months.

•••
Upvote 0
And they ask another 5% for payout as well which takes it to 15%. Have to recheck other platforms what they have mentioned about the same. And couldn't understand the 6 months with them for account payout rule. Not going to launch any auction and keep the money with them for 6 months, but going to open an account with them. At least it may be useful after 5-6 months.
Thanks for the clarification. So the marketplace commission is effectively the same as Namecheap (which, I believe, on charges the Paypal international additional fees for payout.)

Is the GoDaddy auction commission 20%? If so, Dynadot at least has some advantage there.

Finally, thanks for the reminder about signing up to be able to establish a presence for six months. That may prove useful in the future. Wise choice.

•••
Upvote 0
Is the GoDaddy auction commission 20%? If so, Dynadot at least has some advantage there.

Finally, thanks for the reminder about signing up to be able to establish a presence for six months. That may prove useful in the future. Wise choice.
Yes. Dynadot definitely has its advantages over GoDaddy commission charges.

•••
Upvote 0
So Dynadot payouts from the auction effectively means a 15% cut, if you include those payout fees. Thanks for raising this point. Namecheap customer support indicated that there is a 2% fee domestically for their payouts, and possibly 4-5% for international customers.
To their credit, Sedo and GoDaddy auctions do allow for payouts domestically to a bank without having to pay any extra fees.
Keep up the good work, doing the comparisons and seeing what ultimately works best for you!

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
So Dynadot payouts from the auction effectively means a 15% cut, if you include those payout fees. Thanks for raising this point. Namecheap customer support indicated that there is a 2% fee domestically for their payouts, and possibly 4-5% for international customers.
To their credit, Sedo and GoDaddy auctions do allow for payouts domestically to a bank without having to pay any extra fees.
Keep up the good work, doing the comparisons and seeing what ultimately works best for you!
Sure. Yet, Dynadot would be good to list lower priced domains when have plans to buy another domain instead of withdrawing the money, which will avoid the 5% withdrawal fee (Basically they are trying to avoid withdrawal I believe :) ). Yet they are driving away people who plan to sell / auction high value domains through their portal.

•••
Upvote 0
Sure. Yet, Dynadot would be good to list lower priced domains when have plans to buy another domain instead of withdrawing the money, which will avoid the 5% withdrawal fee (Basically they are trying to avoid withdrawal I believe :) ). Yet they are driving away people who plan to sell / auction high value domains through their portal.
That's an important point. The 5% withdrawal fee for payouts is steep. One wonders why they don't make the commissions throughout all their marketplace 5%?
Perhaps up until this past year, the flexibility and cost of payouts has not been under scrutiny in the industry. Now, marketplaces appear to responding to the customer demands for payout flexibility and transparency of the fees involved. Hopefully, we'll see even more competitive pricing this next year.

•••
Upvote 0
Perhaps up until this past year, the flexibility and cost of payouts has not been under scrutiny in the industry. Now, marketplaces appear to responding to the customer demands for payout flexibility and transparency of the fees involved. Hopefully, we'll see even more competitive pricing this next year.
Yes. It would be nice if they reduce their high payout fees. As of now GoDaddy auction seems to be better place to list my domain, which I am planning to do next week. DynaDot was good enough except for the payout amount and the 6 months waiting for the new customers which obviously drove me away.

•••
Upvote 0
Yes. It would be nice if they reduce their high payout fees. As of now GoDaddy auction seems to be better place to list my domain, which I am planning to do next week. DynaDot was good enough except for the payout amount and the 6 months waiting for the new customers which obviously drove me away.
Have you checked out Afternic at all? They were a real surprise for me. I had resisted signing up for them until last year. Within a matter of weeks, I had a price request, and shortly thereafter a decent 1K net sale. They really have excelled compared to the GoDaddy auctions and the other marketplaces. They might be worth checking out as an alternative.

•••
Upvote 0
Have you checked out Afternic at all? They were a real surprise for me. I had resisted signing up for them until last year. Within a matter of weeks, I had a price request, and shortly thereafter a decent 1K net sale. They really have excelled compared to the GoDaddy auctions and the other marketplaces. They might be worth checking out as an alternative.
That sounds great. Was that a BIN+Make offer or Auction?

•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back