Dynadot

information GoDaddy Auctions Maintenance Scheduled 11-12/11-13

NameSilo
Watch

Joe Styler

Aftermarket Product ManagerTop Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. We will be doing some work on the auctions platform behind the scenes on Saturday Night to Sunday morning Arizona time. The plan is to start at 11 pm Arizona (currently MST) to approximately 5 am AZ time Sunday morning. During this time the auctions will not be accessible, nor will the Investor app or anything else tied to the auctions experience on GoDaddy. We apologize for the downtime but from time to time it is needed to continue to grow and improve the overall experience.
Any impacted auctions will be lengthened by the actual amount of downtime that occurs due to maintenance. A splash page will be up during that time to alert auction users of the maintenance and we will have a banner put on the auction page today to give people a 24 hour notice of the maintenance. But I thought I would let you all in on the secret first so you can plan accordingly.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for informing in advance.

•••
I'm in the middle of a grabbing a domain but having connection issues (AGAIN) and getting what seems to be server side errors .. this happens sooooo often for me! It's soooooo frustrating. Been down almost 10 minutes .. in the middle of ongoing auctions! :-/

•••
OK .. it's definitely on Godaddy's side .. a bunch of domains are missing from auctions (or at least from my watch list) .. Did Godzilla attack the West Coast? :-/

•••
•••
OK. How about using this thread to tell us what has changed at GoDaddy Auctions @Joe Styler?

If not from Joe. We need to list what we find here. I'll go first :)

They've stopped the $1 discount per domain on five domains bought together in the Closeout. We used to get them at $4 each. But now after these changes, they are $5 each :( I canceled 2 out of 5 domains I was going to buy. So I'm not sure this will improve their revenue.

Anyone notice any other changes?

Last edited:
•••
lol .. no ... the system crashed later in the afternoon today .. so I was forced to split up my order and I lost one .. so I didn't even get to the 5 I was looking for .. I can't even begin to tell you how many domains I've lost over the last couple of years because their site is so buggy at times! Their staff is great .. but they desperately need to fix their issues. I guess problems go hand in hand with their size .. their one saving grace is the huge number of domains they have .. lol

•••
lol .. no ... the system crashed later in the afternoon today .. so I was forced to split up my order and I lost one .. so I didn't even get to the 5 I was looking for .. I can't even begin to tell you how many domains I've lost over the last couple of years because their site is so buggy at times! Their staff is great .. but they desperately need to fix their issues. I guess problems go hand in hand with their size .. their one saving grace is the huge number of domains they have .. lol
@stub This is part of what we were fixing, adjusting the back end hardware to continue to grow and stay ahead of the continued growth. New hardware and things you should notice in performance improvements, but there is always a risk when changing things so we have been watching the site very closely over the weekend and will continue to do so in addition to our regular monitors. If you lose a domain you can always contact support to make sure there is not a hold on the domain because you added it. They can release the hold for you allowing you to see it again and re-add it.

•••
OK. How about using this thread to tell us what has changed at GoDaddy Auctions @Joe Styler?

If not from Joe. We need to list what we find here. I'll go first :)

They've stopped the $1 discount per domain on five domains bought together in the Closeout. We used to get them at $4 each. But now after these changes, they are $5 each :( I canceled 2 out of 5 domains I was going to buy. So I'm not sure this will improve their revenue.

Anyone notice any other changes?
We still give the closeout discount. However, things have changed. We have added more inventory to our expired auctions. Non GoDaddy inventory. If you bid on domains that are not expired GoDaddy domains then you will not get the closeout discount. You need to add 5 domains that expired with GoDaddy as the registrar at the time of expiration.
I know your next question why not show which is which? We can't due to contractual obligations so you will have to use the WHOIS and find out,or just add a few names and let the cart save you the WHOIS lookups. W e thought that was worth it as part of adding new inventory for our customers. We also thought this was a better overall solution for our customers than simply removing the discount since you can no longer tell. it would make for less confusion but would cost you more money. With this expansion, inventory that was previously going to more expensive Aftermarket services allows you the chance to get the name at a much lower price through us, and it seems like you are finding names on the closeout auctions that would have otherwise cost you close to 10x to buy a couple months ago in the other platform. While I am not able to say anything specific about our expansion of inventory other bloggers have figured this out and given their opinions on the additional inventory so you can check the popular domain blogs and come across more info if you would like.

•••
@Joe Styler still seeing requests without responses from auctions.godaddy.com, and it looks like quite serious issues ongoing with accessing the platform. When do you expect this to settle down?

•••
It is working fine now. I am not sure why you are seeing that. It may be an issue with your ISP or something on the way to the site. You can check on a website such as isitdownrightnow.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back