IT.COM

GoDaddy $80 redemption fee

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
My issue has been solved with Godaddy
I have > 21 domains with them, so, I'm glad to find that they listen to customers complaints and answer questions.
----
Hi NP people,

EVERY EMAIL since January from godaddy says
"You must manually renew these domain names by Apr. 07, 2007."

Then 1 day earlier I received another email
"Date: 6 Apr 2007 05:16:55 -0700
.EU Domain Name Renewal - 1 Year
CANCELLED

So... godaddy canceled my domain .eu on 6 April... I tried since then to explain to godaddy support that my domain was cancelled 1 day earlier and is gone from my domain list... no luck... they want $80 + 1 year to give me my domain back.

Any comments on this? Am I wrong?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can't say who's wrong in this case.

But if you really want that domain name, I guess paying them is the only option?

•••
Even after the expiration, GoDaddy almost always gives you a grace period. (Dot coms and nets its 12 days) Im not sure if the requirements on .eu's are different, but thats a little unusual. I would call up billing and ask to speak with the billing supervisor, Explain the situation to them - they should resolve it for you.

Justin

•••
From my experience with Godaddy, pitch a bitch, yell, complain, ask to speak to Bob Parsons, and then threaten them with the fact that you will never buy another domain from them and you will post your story on every major forum/board and I am confident that they will work it out for you - if they dont, please post here and keep us updated!

•••
UneekTT said:
From my experience with Godaddy, pitch a bitch, yell, complain, ask to speak to Bob Parsons, and then threaten them with the fact that you will never buy another domain from them and you will post your story on every major forum/board and I am confident that they will work it out for you - if they dont, please post here and keep us updated!

LoL, dont quite do that. (I worked there, and delt with people who did this). I can honestly say I did as little as possible to help this person. If your just persistent about it (but polite) they will be more inclined to resolve the issue. Oh, and asking to speak with Bob doesnt help... there not gonna transfer you to his offce.. hes probably not there anyway.

•••
UneekTT said:
From my experience with Godaddy, pitch a bitch, yell, complain, ask to speak to Bob Parsons, and then threaten them with the fact that you will never buy another domain from them and you will post your story on every major forum/board and I am confident that they will work it out for you - if they don't, please post here and keep us updated!

Well, I don't want to be rude, I just want to know if I'm wrong or right. That's why I'm asking for opinions.

I received an email in January, the same email one month later... and so on... saying that I should renew by 7 April (I added a note to my outlook schedule)... they cannot cancel my domain on 6 April... I think this is not fair... I will not pay them $80 even if I loose my domain because sometimes YOU MUST say NO

•••
If you didnt manually renew your domain and it expired thats on you. They warned you didnt they?

Keep in mind also, april 7th of last year wont be april 7th of this year.

•••
HasRob said:
If you didnt manually renew your domain and it expired thats on you. They warned you didnt they?

Yes they did!
"You must manually renew these domain names by Apr. 07, 2007"

HasRob said:
Keep in mind also, april 7th of last year wont be april 7th of this year.

what ????

I searched my mailbox archive

Order confirmation : Friday, April 07, 2006
Dear xxxxxxx, Thank you for ordering from GoDaddy.com! This email contains important information regarding your recent purchase — please save it for reference.

90-Day Certified GoDaddy.com Expiration Notice: You must manually renew these domain names by Apr. 07, 2007

then 1 day earlier:
Date: 6 Apr 2007 05:16:55 -0700

CANCELLED xxxxxxxxxxxx.EU

Last edited:
•••
Dont get me wrong I agree with you. What I meant was, last year april 7th might be april 6th of this year in exact time. I had to wait an extra 2 days to transfer a domain because of their 60 day policy. What I thought was 60 days was really 58 days.

Different calendar months have different # of days.

•••
I think you are right, and they need to take care of you.

I was just being silly before - lol

•••
I would expect that if you send an email with all the necessary info they will sort it out for you. Leaving things to the last possible minute of renewal does tend to create problems.

•••
floatingworld said:
I would expect that if you send an email with all the necessary info they will sort it out for you. Leaving things to the last possible minute of renewal does tend to create problems.

Thank you all.

I sent 3 emails, but THEY don't care. I receive like a "copy paste" reply
blablablabla...
"An acknowledgement that your card will be charged $80.00 (USD) for the redemption, plus the regular renewal fee for that TLD."
blablablabla....

But they don't explain why then i received 4 emails from them saying
"You must manually renew these domain names by Apr. 07, 2007"

I guess there is a code error, because .eu (I guess ??) have different rules. Hey, but that's their job...

I ask them... but they don't care... i ask them and them and received the same reply... over and over... WFT... I ask them a simple question...

I will not pay $80 even if I loose my domain

What else can I do?? Any help please?

on minute ago I sent them my 5th email
--- start ---
"so, please reply to this simple question: why godaddy sent me + 4
emails with
"You must manually renew these domain names by Apr. 07, 2007" ?"
--- end ----
waiting for reply...

•••
Stop sending emails. Call them.

Billing - 480-505-8855

Explain the situation, and see what they will do. If they cant, ask to speak to a supervisor, and re-explain the situation. You will get it renewed without the fee, but only if you call and deal with a supervisor or billing rep.

•••
johnzing said:
(blahblahblah!!!)
Date: 6 Apr 2007 05:16:55 -0700
(blahblahblah!!!)

it was april 7th gmt.

•••
shockie said:
it was april 7th gmt.

no, it was 12:16:55 gmt :) I'm assuming when they use -0700, it's in a 24 hour format. So it would have been around noon GMT on april 6th. Am I correct in assuming this? But yes, if it was in fact april 7th GMT (which is the time zone that the .eu registry operates under I would assume) than it all makes perfect sense.

Either way it seems like the OP is just pulling at semantics. I mean, he acknowledged receiving 4+ emails over a 90 day period, if he wanted to renew it than he had ample time. Why look for some obscure thing to complain about?

•••
slipxaway said:
no, it was 12:16:55 gmt :)
darnit you're right... and with all the preceding zeros, it's 24 hour...

slipxaway said:
...pulling at semantics...ample time.
agreed. would like to see the op explain to godaddy how he had the intention of renewing this name in the 11:43:05 he had left... (11:43:05 right?... i've triple checked, lol)

•••
domainspade said:
LoL, dont quite do that. (I worked there, and delt with people who did this). I can honestly say I did as little as possible to help this person. If your just persistent about it (but polite) they will be more inclined to resolve the issue. Oh, and asking to speak with Bob doesnt help... there not gonna transfer you to his offce.. hes probably not there anyway.

I can relate to that. People are so...demanding at times, especially when they
don't care about the details and only want results.

Domainspade, does Go Daddy's autorenew take effect on the day it expires or
nth number of days before expiration? I can't seem to find any hint of such on
their website, it's been 3 years since I last used them.

But as to whether there should be a grace period for .eu domain names, that's
within the registrar's discretion, and also dependent on any applicable rule for
.eu domain names. Unless stated otherwise, a registrar is not required to give
any of the sort.

Sorry to read what happened to the OP. While those emails can be utilized as
leverage, expect the worst anyway.

On the side, I saw something like this happen before with the free .info craze
years ago. One registrar deleted the free .infos 1 day before expiration, and
acknowledged they might have made a wrong business decision.

Last edited:
•••
dude hope u get it back. and next time dude,to be on the safe side,always make sure you renew your domain names at least 1 week before they are due for renewal.

johnzing said:
Hi NP people,

EVERY EMAIL since January from godaddy says
"You must manually renew these domain names by Apr. 07, 2007."

Then 1 day earlier I received another email
"Date: 6 Apr 2007 05:16:55 -0700
CANCELLED

So... godaddy canceled my domain .eu on 6 April... I tried since then to explain to godaddy support that my domain was cancelled 1 day earlier and is gone from my domain list... no luck... they want $80 + 1 year to give me my domain back.

Any comments on this? Am I wrong?

•••
Thank you all for commenting...

finally someone at godaddy replied to me without using "copy and paste". He ask me for a print screen so they can investigate the issue.
Let's see what happens.

•••
My issue has been solved with Godaddy
I have > 21 domains with them, so, I'm glad to find that they listen to customers complaints and answer questions.

•••
Back