Dynadot

Gmail goes Big!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
We now have 2GB space and Rich text formatting on our emails.

Woohooo :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Zeeble said:
2GB? how the hell could they cope if they had 1 mil people all using 2GB? They would need several servres to cope with that alone, how can they make a profit from that?

It's mostly a marketing gimmick. There would only be a very small percentage of people who would use anything near that amount of disk space. Those who did would likely take very long time to get there, and by then technology will have developed further for cheaper storage. the few that do are probably very loyal users as well and somewhat more likely to give them some revenue from ad clicks or future add-ons.

•••
I know someone using 900 MB of there space, filled with movies, 10mb each.

•••
crazy said:
I know someone using 900 MB of there space, filled with movies, 10mb each.

And for every one like this, ther eare probably several hundred with 10MB.

•••
How do i join Gmail?

I would like to give it a try..... Thanks

•••
ahh, for that you'll need an invite...

•••
•••
its just like hosting, people know that they can never reach their maximum, usually only very little, a few GB, but that is bandwidth, for storage, it would probably reach only few hundreds of MB. google is just working on that idea.

•••
the days were gone when we were crying for email space :p

•••
gmail are trying to wipe out the rest i take it?

google releases 1gig hotmail responds with 250mb trying to keep up, google responds with about 2 gig and rising. i wonder who will win. :hehe:

•••
i seen this on another forum

I was interested in knowing how the quota in Gmail was increasing, so I spent about 15 min doing a couple of calculations and, assuming that my calculations are correct, I came up with the following. I took a peek at the JavaScript code for the counter, and found out that the quota is increased by 1 MB every 24,912 seconds or every 6 hours 55 minutes and 12 seconds. The next milestone, 2075 MB, will happen on Saturday, April 9th 2005, 16:00:00 (GMT). If the quota keeps increasing at that rate, we should reach 3000 MB in about 23,666,400 seconds which corresponds to Sunday, January 1st 2006, 9:00:00 (GMT)

•••
lol ahhaha he is promoter :) i think.

•••
•••
Cheapquality said:
the days were gone when we were crying for email space :p

Never been a fan of webmail. Using POP3, my email space is currently 250Gig, which is the hard disk space I have on my PC. I do have an account for occassional use where I might get spammed though.

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
Never been a fan of webmail. Using POP3, my email space is currently 250Gig, which is the hard disk space I have on my PC. I do have an account for occassional use where I might get spammed though.

I must concur... I have over 15 GB of space on various WebMail (only) providers including G, Y, A and many others - all used to 2-5% capacity... yet, if I can't get it from a POP/SMTP interface, it just doesn't do it for me...

Rob

•••
You are currently using 22 MB (1%) of your 2090 MB.

•••
We had 2 MB email boxes before, then 4 MB, then 6 MB, then 100 MB, then 250 MB, then 1 GB, then 2 GB ... what's next ? :P

•••
Wow, MSN and Yahoo will really have to dig far to match this!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back