IT.COM

Getting solid revenue from forum sites

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I own a number of domains that I'm considering developing into forums but I'm unsure how to derive a strong revenue stream from this. I understand the placement of Google Ads on the exterior of the site is one idea but I'm not sure that alone would do the trick. Any ideas? Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The first thing you would need to worry about is getting the forums active. That isn’t going to be easy by any means. When they all have an active member base and getting a constant stream of traffic that is when you can start making good money from them.

Google adsense is one idea. Depending on how popular the forums are and how many you are going to develop, you should easily be able to pull in $xxx a month to start off with.

Most affiliate networks don’t usually accept forums. I have run into this problem before and it is rather annoying. You might find that you can make more money selling banner ad spots directly do webmasters and business’.

Another easy way to make money is by selling text links. On the homepage and / or sidewide. Depending on how much traffic you are getting and your PR, this is another sure fire way to make an extra buck.

Home that helps. :)

•••
Ya, forums definitely don't make as much as regular websites in general, but you still can make a profit. Personally, Adsense makes my hosting money back, and then other ads such as text links and banner ads are all just profit. As jon said, I have had much more success selling the text and banner ads to individual webmasters, then trying to join an ad network, or affiliate program.

Tom

•••
I agree. You need some serious traffic to get a forum going. Nobody will post if there are only 2 other members and maybe 5 inactive threads. It would be a better idea to derivate your forum from an existing website.

•••
jon said:
The first thing you would need to worry about is getting the forums active. That isn’t going to be easy by any means. When they all have an active member base and getting a constant stream of traffic that is when you can start making good money from them.

Google adsense is one idea. Depending on how popular the forums are and how many you are going to develop, you should easily be able to pull in $xxx a month to start off with.

Most affiliate networks don’t usually accept forums. I have run into this problem before and it is rather annoying. You might find that you can make more money selling banner ad spots directly do webmasters and business’.

Another easy way to make money is by selling text links. On the homepage and / or sidewide. Depending on how much traffic you are getting and your PR, this is another sure fire way to make an extra buck.

Home that helps. :)
Hi, Playstationforum.com is a good one.... I've got playstationpanel.com .... :)

•••
i think it would be best if you have one gigantic forum on only one domain. forget about trying to develop a few forums at one go. concentrating all your efforts and money into the developing of one site would churn out better results than spreading your resources thinly over a few sites.

•••
you should check out http://theadminzone.com , a great website on how to generate traffic on your forums site :) as we all know - most of the time traffic leads to bucks!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back