IT.COM

question Getting direct ads on websites

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

White Fang

CustomerService.comEstablished Member
Impact
Is there a good way to avoid parking ads/revenue by getting professionals to advertise directly? For example, how to get realtors to put ads on a real estate-oriented website.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is there a good way to avoid parking ads/revenue by getting professionals to advertise directly? For example, how to get realtors to put ads on a real estate-oriented website.
Unless you have your own Ad server. Google Ads is no-go area for parked domains.

I found myself asking this same question months back. I ended setting up and running my own Ad server for direct advertisers - advow.com . I never regretted that decision, it was far easier than I had thought.

•••
Unless you have your own Ad server. Google Ads is no-go area for parked domains.

I found myself asking this same question months back. I ended setting up and running my own Ad server for direct advertisers - advow.com . I never regretted that decision, it was far easier than I had thought.

Hook me up?

•••
•••
•••

Hi Josytal...

I've been pretty busy with similar stuff recently. Instead of setting up an ad server by going extra mile as you did, I've been setting up the bare minimums by using a 3rd party software solution.

So far I've been approached by some interested advertisers and also I've been approaching to some of them by emailing and cold calling. Some of the people I'm approaching are the same people who showed some interest in the past to purchase domains from me. Interestingly, they are more positive about the idea when I call them back months later.

As of now, people see a message when they land on my domains... something like "Please fill in the form if you are interested to get your ads shown here". My offering is to serve ads on a one-page site (it cannot be called a site though since technically it is a page). Sometimes I receive comments like "but your site is empty". My response is "true but think my offering as a billboard on the highway. besides, there will be only one ad on the page".

I noticed that the phrase "there will be only one ad on the page" makes an impression on them and then they open their ears and listen to me seriously.

In this context, I'd love to hear about your experience:

1) How is the interest from possible advertisers?
2) How do you convince them to put their ads on your domains?
3) How much are you trying to charge the advertisers... price range?
4) Are you developing content sites and getting ads for those developed sites or are you doing the same thing as I'm doing (billboard format)?
5) Are you publishing multiple ads from more than one advertiser on the landing pages or are you doing it as I'm doing, serving only one ad?

You have various ad formats. I'm asking for only 600x600 graphic from the advertiser. It is also automatically getting down-sized for the mobile phones with no distortion on the image.

Do you think I'm doing it in the right way?

I'm totally new to this stuff. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks for you time. Rgrds.

Last edited:
•••
You do this for others too... like if I wanted ads on my site using your network?

I have developed the system to cater for my paltry portfolio of 99 domain names. But I'm seeing a bigger picture now.

We've just opened the reg page for the public. After registration and approval, you must add at least one website or valid domain name, input the description and 10 keywords, select the ad format(s), generate the code and insert it into the website(s), anywhere between the <body></body> tags. You can use one code for as many sites as you want.

Notes:
The way the system works is that the code analyses the page title, keyword, description and content (if available) and then select the matching ad(s) to display from advertisers' keyword list. So the system may not work perfectly for parked domains - i.e. without page title, keyword, description and content, except you have a keyword domain name. All my domains have title, keywords, description stored in a flat file database, so I don't have problems with what ads to display.

Soon, we will add options for both publishers and advertisers to choose from a list of categories with or without keywords.

Last edited:
•••
Very nice.. sounds promising. I'd love to hear about the details when you're ready to go live.

Looks like, we're in different games. :)
I'm chasing the advertisers to get them on board one by one. I hope we all succeed on our plans. Rgrds.

•••
Instead of setting up an ad server by going extra mile as you did, I've been setting up the bare minimums by using a 3rd party software solution.

It doesn't matter how you do it, so long as you're achieving your objectives. But make sure your choice does not hold you down in future. Read carefully the ToS, so that you don't find yourself violating conditions and getting hooked up to unholy "marriage".

In this context, I'd love to hear about your experience:

1) How is the interest from possible advertisers?
2) How do you convince them to put their ads on your domains?
3) How much are you trying to charge the advertisers... price range?
4) Are you developing content sites and getting ads for those developed sites or are you doing the same thing as I'm doing (billboard format)?
5) Are you publishing multiple ads from more than one advertiser on the landing pages or are you doing it as I'm doing, serving only one ad?

1, 2. Big or small, business must advertise in order to survive. Our initial Advertisers come from list of satisfied clients from another project of ours. Our target audience is SME, so we try to subscribe to and advertise on such niche forums.

We have about 7 full-blown niche websites and parked domains are offered as supplementary. Objections had been very mild, since we offered PPC. In fact, we started with PPC. PPM or fixed rate just won't work for parked domains. In fact, I'm handling domaining alone, it's not a corporate affair.

3. Very flexible pricing scheme. The main advantage is you always have constant inflow, kinda SaaS.

4. We've realized that as client base grows, we alone can not develop enough websites, nor can we rely only on parked domains to satisfy the demand, so we're opening up registration for other website owners to join the network. We are having some problems here and will solve them soon.

5. Our maximum number of outbound links on a parked domain page is three. See example here: pricevibe.com

You have various ad formats. I'm asking for only 600x600 graphic from the advertiser. It is also automatically getting down-sized for the mobile phones with no distortion on the image.

We are still doing A/B Test to know the optimal format(s).
So we have decided to offer as many formats as possible. With time some formats will go, others will stay.

Do you think I'm doing it in the right way?
Time will tell. Most important thing is taking the first step. Make sure you set achievable objectives and don't limit yourself to only parked domains.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back