Dynadot

Getting a squatter to respond

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

j_sun

Impact
Hi All,
Newb here. We are looking to purchase a DN from a squatter (let me know if I'm misusing terms here) but can't get a response. We've tried the contact email on the landing page for the DN, the admin email address in the WhoIs info as well as contact info we found on the squatters website.
They are in Korea. Their details are:

Domain Status: REGISTRAR LOCK
Registrar: Korea Information Certificate Authority, Inc. dba DomainCA.com
Referral URL: http://www.DomainCA.com

Registrant:
Dongjin Kim
3-204 Daedong-apt Bugae 3-dong
Bupyeong-gu
Incheon, 403103
KR

Administrative, Technical, Billing Contact:
Dongjin Kim [email protected]
3-204 Daedong-apt Bugae 3-dong
Bupyeong-gu
Incheon, 403103
KR
(TEL) +82.325031867, (FAX)

Any suggestions on how to get them to respond?
Any other tips?

Thanks,
Jason

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Newb here. We are looking to purchase a DN from a squatter (let me know if I'm misusing terms here) but can't get a response.

Why do you assume they're a squatter? I looked at a few of the domains they own and don't see any obvious trademarks there.

Domain squatters buy trademarks and sit on them hoping to get money from the trademakr holder.

Any suggestions on how to get them to respond?
Any other tips?

Offer more money.

•••
How did you phrase your email? Did you accuse them of squatting? An antagonistic email may scare them off.

Plus there's always the chance they don't care to sell.

But as lothos suggested, a large enough offer may encourage them to respond.

•••
Why do you assume they're a squatter? I looked at a few of the domains they own and don't see any obvious trademarks there.

Domain squatters buy trademarks and sit on them hoping to get money from the trademakr holder.

Offer more money.

OK. I am using the wrong term. As I said, I am a newb and quite unfamiliar with the vocabulary.

Could I ask what they are? Are they simply the "owner" or are they the "registrar"?

Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

How did you phrase your email? Did you accuse them of squatting? An antagonistic email may scare them off.

Plus there's always the chance they don't care to sell.

But as lothos suggested, a large enough offer may encourage them to respond.

I was pretty benign. Just said I'm interested in the DN and to get back to me with a quote and next steps. No accusations made whatsoever. See my above post. I just misused the term "squatter".

•••
Some Registrant (domain owner) will NOT bother to reply if there is no offer (how much you are willing to pay).
Some will NOT reply even when there is offer if your offer is too low.

So...
1. Go to DNJournal and see how much domain names are selling for.
2. Go to DN Sale Price and do similar domain name search to get appropriate price for the domain name.
3. Go to Name Bio and repeat step #2.
4. Send email again with your offer (50% of your maximum price you are willing to pay).
5. Hope your offer is good enough to get a reply.

•••
OK. I am using the wrong term. As I said, I am a newb and quite unfamiliar with the vocabulary.

Could I ask what they are? Are they simply the "owner" or are they the "registrar"?

The person that owns the domain name is called the domain owner or domain registrant.

The company that sells the domain name, like Godaddy, is the registrar.

The owner may be a "domain investor" or "domainer" if they buy names for resale, much like a real estate investor. Other times the domain owner may be someone who is building a website, or a business owner that's starting a business with the domain.

A domain squatter is someone that specifically buys trademarks that they do not have any right to and hopes to sell them to the trademark holder. Think of them like the scum that squats in commercial buildings.

•••
Maybe you need to speak in Korean. Try to use babelfish online.

•••
alien51 is correct. I had a similar situation once. When I contacted them I sent a Korean translation as well. That evoked a response from them. We agreed on a deal, but after I set it up with Escrow.com, they stopped responding. It's a little bit par for the course I'm afraid.

•••
•••
Tried contacting this exact person about a year ago with no luck. If you get ahold of him please let me know we can try for better deal! Will pm you my contact details

•••
•••
It's a bit intimidating to try and call somebody who only speaks Korean and you only speak English.

•••
•••
Hi Jason!
Did ever found a solution for this problem?
With best regards
Henrik Sorensen

•••
Have you been able to CONTACT dong jin KIM on this email address:[email protected] . I always try but no results. Someone can help me please???

•••
The company that sells the domain name, like Godaddy, is the registrar.

Just a small technical point. The registrar is the company that registers the name, and sells a lease on the name

The owner of the lease is the person who "sells" the lease on the name. Godaddy will only be the seller if they own the name themselves, or they act as agent on behalf of the owner.

It gets a bit confusing when people say they have bought a name, when all they have done is to register it.

•••
***Just a heads up, this thread is from 2013.*** :xf.wink:

•••
We are looking to purchase a DN from a squatter (let me know if I'm misusing terms here)

Yes, that term is a little insulting to us here at NP.

A little bit. :xf.frown:

•••
Yes, that term is a little insulting to us here at NP.
A little bit. :xf.frown:
Be that as it may, it's pretty representative of the public at large (n)

•••
•••
•••
•••
Pleaaaaaase I want to contact DONGJIN KIM, no solution?

•••
•••
You have tested DomainAgent?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back