Dynadot

Get ready for the .finance explosion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

FavourB

Established Member
Impact
Yes!! I'm very bullish on .finance

Yield aggregator companies are coming for them.

Defi is gonna be BIG! We're just getting started

I have been picking up one dictionary word . finance

Criterias:

1) Must be a dictionary word that's common.

2) Should not exceed 5L

3) must be taken in at least 100 other extensions check dotdb.com to know.
I however prefer 200 and above.

4) GoDaddy valuation for .com must be above $25k, valuation is just for price reference, don't base on it.

Few I bought.

Band

Champ

Glove

all in .finance

If you have invested in the .finance extension feel free to sample your domains here.

Sales report are also welcomed

First recorded sale on namepros was

MetaPay.finance

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like your optimism. Do you have any sales data to back it up?

•••
Namebio.com

You would find rich data there

•••
•••
Namebio.com

You would find rich data there

Just 41 sales, meta.finance below $500. Don't see the sales bar some outliers.

Good luck though.

•••

Good luck though.
41 sales for $63k total since 2015. Not exactly setting the world on fire.

Brad

•••
I do not care about what is reported in namebio, as only very few major new gTLD investors are acually really reporting sales there, one example is Swetha for .xzy, but only few others are doing it. As why to give any hints to competing domain investors? I personally do not use namebio at all.

I do agree that .finance has sweet future, as defi is exploding.

However: keywords band, champ, glove - are weak in my opinion with .finance. If I personally would invest in this extention, I would go for keywords like world, global, easy, dao, btc, virtual, nft, eth, crypto, my, the, your, online, etc. .. Even with such keywords I would think twice before I do my initial purchase, as afaik the standard renewal for .finance is around $30-$50, depending on registrar. The math might simply not work here for domain investors. And you will not get typically such keywords in 2021 anyway, unless you pay a good amount of money at aftermarket :)

So not overly optimistic with your domains, tbh.

•••
There are tons of unreported sales in every extension, but low reported sales = low overall sales.

Brad

•••
I think one of the issues is going to be those hefty renewal fees. Sure you could get 'cityname.finance' (there are a lot of major cities available.) But I bet a lot of buyers will have an issue even with an $69 or $89 renewal fee.

•••
If you always look at sales data to back up your investments, you miss a lot of investment opportunities. Let say .xyz, it had low reported sales three years ago, but now there are many 5-figure sales. Investing should focus on the future, not the past and now. Past records just tell you the historical and current situations, not the future. They are useful for pricing, not for determining good or bad investments.

I note that .finance has been increasingly used by finance startups, especially defi. The sales in 2021 is more than the past years (2018: 4 / 2019: 3 / 2020: 4 / 2021: 28), though most of them are not end user sales. The registration is also increasing (https://namestat.org/finance). The trend is obviously increasing. But .finance targets the finance sector only and the cheapest renewal cost is $35 per year, which may make it less desirable in investment view. There may be other better investment options. I don't recommend to invest too much in this extension. Holding a few great keywords that match this extension is fine.

•••

Good luck though.

The meta.finance sale is obviously not an end user sale. A lower quality metapay.finance was sold for $8,100.

•••
I cringe when I see a DeFi project use .finance

You would assume a company in the crypto world would have more money to buy a decent extension.

.com is the way to go, it always will be.

•••
If you always look at sales data to back up your investments, you miss a lot of investment opportunities. Let say .xyz, it had low reported sales three years ago, but now there are many 5-figure sales. Investing should focus on the future, not the past and now. Past records just tell you the historical and current situations, not the future. They are useful for pricing, not for determining good or bad investments.

There may be other better investment options. I don't recommend to invest too much in this extension. Holding a few great keywords that match this extension is fine.
I love when someone brings this kind of scope to the domaining table. When people get fixated on comparables or historical sales data they ignore opportunities outside of their own scope. Makes for a very boring domaining experience, imo.

Being said, I agree with Brands Int. about the names. Its great to be excited on an extension, just watch your combo's. This isn't dot-xyz where there is so much compatibility because it doesn't really mean anything, dot-finance is more a "boutique" extension with a choosier pool of end users.

•••
I do not care about what is reported in namebio, as only very few major new gTLD investors are acually really reporting sales there, one example is Swetha for .xzy, but only few others are doing it. As why to give any hints to competing domain investors? I personally do not use namebio at all.

I do agree that .finance has sweet future, as defi is exploding.

However: keywords band, champ, glove - are weak in my opinion with .finance. If I personally would invest in this extention, I would go for keywords like world, global, easy, dao, btc, virtual, nft, eth, crypto, my, the, your, online, etc. .. Even with such keywords I would think twice before I do my initial purchase, as afaik the standard renewal for .finance is around $30-$50, depending on registrar. The math might simply not work here for domain investors. And you will not get typically such keywords in 2021 anyway, unless you pay a good amount of money at aftermarket :)

So not overly optimistic with your domains, tbh.
I would hold and see what happens
I really like Band though.

$BAND

The more defi grow, the more scarcity for such domains.

A lot of yield farming aggregator companies are coming out...I got to know about them from my research on AVALANCHE

•••
There's really only one domain extension that most users know. It's the dot COM. The numerous other extensions have their place, but, IMO, extensions such as .finance and other full word variations exist for the very reason that the stronger dot com is not available. Even in this case, any extension beyond three letters doesn't make sense, to me at least. They shouldn't be in the marketplace. So, will the .finance pick up the pace? Perhaps. Or maybe not. Domaining sometimes doesn't make sense!

•••
Even in this case, any extension beyond three letters doesn't make sense, to me at least. They shouldn't be in the marketplace. So, will the .finance pick up the pace? Perhaps. Or maybe not. Domaining sometimes doesn't make sense!
Oh. Love this classic new G prejudice. It's ok, I support the right to have it, because it inevitably brings growth. You'll eventually understand that there are SPECTACULAR domains running on all sorts of extensions that aren't three characters. Did you know even countries have their own extensions, and they are only two characters! Yep, and quite popular too within their geographical footprint.

@imwangi There's a lot outside of what you thought you knew about domains and extensions that will blow your mind, give it time and cruise around the forum and even the Internet, you'll see!

Band.Finance suddenly grew on me. Reminds me of
Just caught:
Dragon.Finance

I have a great feeling about this one
Dragon.Finance sold for $1,800 @ Afternic
a week after the 60 day lock ended
by our esteemed Grego.

•••
Oh. Love this classic new G prejudice. It's ok, I support the right to have it, because it inevitably brings growth. You'll eventually understand that there are SPECTACULAR domains running on all sorts of extensions that aren't three characters. Did you know even countries have their own extensions, and they are only two characters! Yep, and quite popular too within their geographical footprint.

@imwangi There's a lot outside of what you thought you knew about domains and extensions that will blow your mind, give it time and cruise around the forum and even the Internet, you'll see!

by our esteemed Grego.

I agree. Lots of people in the web3 space are Gen Y or Gen Z and they are certainly far more open-minded with regard to domain choices (in particular non .com's). I saw a courageous tweet from Alan Dunn confirming this:

I hope @Grego85 is okay - he hasn't logged in for over 2 months...

•••

by our esteemed Grego.
I see your point, and I'm not arguing with it. I have several domains with such extensions. I'm just concerned with the mnemonics of such extensions and their brand-ability. Most people think of the dot com before any other extension. Yes, domaining has changed a lot since the advent of the TLDs, but I'm sure there's a lot of misdirected traffic to the dot com versions by people unaware of the other extensions. For instance, I would unconsciously type business.com before I think of typing business.finance. Perhaps my reasoning is off; if so, I stand to be corrected.

•••
When people get fixated on comparables or historical sales data they ignore opportunities outside of their own scope. Makes for a very boring domaining experience, imo.

Depends. Comparing the historical sales data of .finance with other newTLDs should give you some good metrics to go by.

Not very impressive unless you have one of the few killer matches.

As for band.fin. the domain is plenty available in other extensions. Keeping in mind a $50 renewal with some range, lots of similar attainable options.

Given that, it's a gamble. And no, 90% of my domains aren't gTLDs.

•••
Hi

i think .financing is better and more applicable

imo...

•••
I cringe when I see a DeFi project use .finance

You would assume a company in the crypto world would have more money to buy a decent extension.

.com is the way to go, it always will be.
You guys don't understand DeFi. Yes there are some projects well funded from day 1, but most of projects are by young finance nerds cloning (forking) protocols and doing 90% of their marketing on Twitter and Discord not needing a websute at all and you'll find that many projects don't have a site or they have a poorly designed site on a shit extension, so investing in a premium website is one of the last things they're thinking of, that is if they could even afford it. It's become so normal to go with an aly extension that it's trendier than dot com now in DeFi. People in DeFi may associate dot com with centralized tradfi or "boomerfi" now, especially if a project is on a premium dot com. The truly decentralized projects are almost never on com nowadays. It's mostly the heavily funded vc backed project launches that are replicating what is already done in tradfi feel the absolute need to go with dot come because they're trying to attract institutions.

Last edited:
•••
You guys don't understand DeFi. Yes there are some projects well funded from day 1, but most of projects are by young finance nerds cloning (forking) protocols and doing 90% of their marketing on Twitter and Discord not needing a websute at all and you'll find that many projects don't have a site or they have a poorly designed site on a shit extension, so investing in a premium website is one of the last things they're thinking of, that is if they could even afford it. It's become so normal to go with an aly extension that it's trendier than dot com now in DeFi. People in DeFi may associate dot com with centralized tradfi or "boomerfi" now, especially if a project is on a premium dot com. The truly decentralized projects are almost never on com nowadays. It's mostly the heavily funded vc backed project launches that are replicating what is already done in tradfi feel the absolute need to go with dot come because they're trying to attract institutions.

A lot of the VC's behind the funding don't even use a .com domain

1KX
Dragonfly Capital
Paradigm
Polychain
ParaFi

etc etc etc

But if you own good .com domains in the Defi space they will go for a lot of money.....eventually

•••
A lot of the VC's behind the funding don't even use a .com domain

1KX
Dragonfly Capital
Paradigm
Polychain
ParaFi

etc etc etc

But if you own good .com domains in the Defi space they will go for a lot of money.....eventually
DeFi is becoming a broad category. Now much of it's become so centralized that most of it just mimmicks what is done in traditional finance. This will only increase with mass adaption which is slowly happening. With mass adaption will come an increased need for dot com domains... So yeah eventually we'll see more premium DeFi dot coms sell for good amounts. But when that increase will come us the question. I estimate about 2 to 4 years.

Last edited:
•••
I agree. Lots of people in the web3 space are Gen Y or Gen Z and they are certainly far more open-minded with regard to domain choices (in particular non .com's). I saw a courageous tweet from Alan Dunn confirming this:

I hope @Grego85 is okay - he hasn't logged in for over 2 months...
Oh Web3 domains, these are just so ahead of their time. I find them sort of confusing in terms of management and usage but that will be eventually ironed out.

I see your point, and I'm not arguing with it. I have several domains with such extensions. I'm just concerned with the mnemonics of such extensions and their brand-ability. Most people think of the dot com before any other extension. Yes, domaining has changed a lot since the advent of the TLDs, but I'm sure there's a lot of misdirected traffic to the dot com versions by people unaware of the other extensions. For instance, I would unconsciously type business.com before I think of typing business.finance. Perhaps my reasoning is off; if so, I stand to be corrected.
I think your reasoning is spot on here.

Depends. Comparing the historical sales data of .finance with other newTLDs should give you some good metrics to go by.

Not very impressive unless you have one of the few killer matches.
Agreed, and not. That's not how new G's work; what's good or bad for one doesn't mean squat for the other. Metrics are useful as part of a targeted investment strategy in a given extension or niche as future predictors, but without enough data over a long-term span I think there are better approaches like natural name merits. I do prefer a balance of the two if possible.

•••
Oh Web3 domains, these are just so ahead of their time. I find them sort of confusing in terms of management and usage but that will be eventually ironed out.

I actually also meant traditional domains for web3 applications and purposes.

Last edited:
•••
Back