Dynadot

Generic domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Companies with generic domain names are they still protected? For instance target.com could i register target.info without getting into trouble.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They're protected up to a certain extent. These things are treated on a case
to case basis.

No one has absolute protection. That's an illusion.

•••
zachary0611 said:
Companies with generic domain names are they still protected? For instance target.com could i register target.info without getting into trouble.

If you sold archery or shooting targets, or were a ad agency doing "targeted marketing" you might be able to. If you tried to start a retailing site or department store, you would almost certainly lose it. You have to be very carful in these cases not to fall into "unfair use" by gaining off of a famous name in the field they are famous for. If you park one, make sure key words would be targeted to the famous user of the name. In the case of "target", you might use keywords like archery, shooting, gun targets, and avoid ones like retail and department store.

•••
A perfect example of this is "Apple"... it grows on a tree....very generic. Now you have Apple Records and Apple computers. They both lay claim to "apple". They are different classifications so they co-exsist in the TM market. Who is to say that a person can't start a company called Apple Taxi service or Apple Cabins?

It depends on the usage and classification of the TM.

•••
Hey thanks for the information. I have found a major magazine that doesnt have the extensions registered yet.

•••
zachary0611 said:
Hey thanks for the information. I have found a major magazine that doesnt have the extensions registered yet.

Fine, but pay attention to the tone of the comments above - your site will not be allowed to have anything to do with that magazine in the sense that you make money off it.

And if you mention the mag on your site at all, it must be within the context of a fair use fan site that acts as a "positive light" tribute to the mag. Furthermore, all links must be only to sites related favorably to that mag, and no links are permitted that lead to any mags in competition with it.

•••
bluesman said:
Fine, but pay attention to the tone of the comments above - your site will not be allowed to have anything to do with that magazine in the sense that you make money off it.

And if you mention the mag on your site at all, it must be within the context of a fair use fan site that acts as a "positive light" tribute to the mag. Furthermore, all links must be only to sites related favorably to that mag, and no links are permitted that lead to any mags in competition with it.

Actually, suck sites are protected too as long as you are not libeling.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back