IT.COM

Gandi.net - change ownership by paper?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi guys,
I have domain '.io' in Gandi.net and i want to move it to to another Gandi account.
Gandi told me that: "The owner change process for this extension needs to be done by paper form".

Anyone heard of anything like this before O_o??!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Depends if the Registry also requires paperwork, even for something as simple as a transfer among accounts.

•••
I just purchased a .io domain and had it pushed to my Gandi account. Yes, you do need to sign paperwork, and they charge the new owner the $39 reg fee, but don't add any time to the expiration date...

•••
It's a real nightmare trying to "push" a domain to another account with Gandi.net.

The call it a "transfer", which the person receiving the name should pay for. But don't be surprised if they charge you money too as the person "pushing" the domain.

Sad thing is they purposefully say payment fails, and charge your card 3 to 4 times. Then later, they acknowledge that the payments did go through-after you argue with them that your account clearly shows that payments were made, but will not reverse the extra "transfer costs" they charged.

So you end up paying something under $100 just so that your buyer can receive the domain. What they then do is, take the payment which they charged 3 or four times, and add it to your "account balance"... which is useless since their renewal fees are so damn high.

Dirty tactics.

Avoid them.

•••
I will avoid them.
Thanks guys!

•••
Overrated registrar. Expensive, with so many un-automated things, and support is long to answer.
Some people complaint about GoDaddy but love Gandi. I don't understand them.

•••
I am going through this process with them right this moment with a .IO domain! In addition to me having to fill out this paperwork and then scan it and email it to them, Gandi wants ME to to get the new owner's signature...... It took them 3 days to explain that to me.

I am moving my names out of there tonight. I do not want to go through this again, not with them at least.

•••
Sucks to hear that about this registrar. I've never registered an IO domain with them before, but I've never heard of this happening with any IO domain.. Hope you get it resolved (without having to pay extra money!)

•••
I am going through this process with them right this moment with a .IO domain! In addition to me having to fill out this paperwork and then scan it and email it to them, Gandi wants ME to to get the new owner's signature...... It took them 3 days to explain that to me.

I am moving my names out of there tonight. I do not want to go through this again, not with them at least.

To which register you move your domains?
We also have .io domain in Gandi.net. but the problem with the .io domains in Gandi.net is that if you want to move them to GoDaddy, you need to pay $59.99 transfer fee In addition to all the paperwork !!!
https://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-transfer.aspx

•••
To which register you move your domains?
We also have .io domain in Gandi.net. but the problem with the .io domains in Gandi.net is that if you want to move them to GoDaddy, you need to pay $59.99 transfer fee In addition to all the paperwork !!!
https://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-transfer.aspx

I am thinking of moving them to iwantmyname.com ($45 transfer fee incl 1 year of registration)
NameCheap.com
is $32.88 but I dont think they support transfers OUT.
Amazon Route 53
is $35 but I never heard of them.

check here for approximate pricing:
https://www.domcomp.com/

I'll gladly do the paperwork to get them out of Gandi. They're my names, so it should be fairly easy as I would be the current and previous owner.

But if the buyer/seller is not in the same country or of the same language - I can see the logistical nightmare awaiting. Also, the process is what also angers me. Why do I have to fill out my end of the paperwork and then send it to the buyer, who fills it out, only to send it back to me, and then I have to scan/fax it back to Gandi? Why isnt Gandi, the ones with the documentation process requirements in place, the pivot point? I have to pay for this and the buyer likely has to pay but Gandi just sits and waits for documentation and does a very poor job of explaining what and why. How difficult is it to state this:
1) download this PDF, date and sign it along with your handle
2) scan or fax it to the buyer, ask them to do the same and send it back to you
3) scan or fax the fully completed form to us, along with your payment and your drivers license and you're done.

It shouldnt take MANY HOURS, up to twelve at times, to get a response and its basically "oh yea, and now you will need to get that signed by the owner.........." WTF!? Just say so at the onset!!

What I havent figured out yet is if this is a .IO registry requirement (meaning any registrar will be required to obtain signatures of both parties in a transfer of ownership) OR is this a Gandi requirement. Am pretty sure .IO requires some level of manual verification.

Nevertheless, its insane that in 2015 anything Internet related is done by hand. I feel like I went back in time 20 years.

•••
Its a Gandi only requirement. I sold a .io that was registered on Namecheap and the process was as easy as pushing .com to another NC account.

•••
@AGAME
I have only 1 domain name (C/P/O .io) in Gandi and i don't want to hear about them because their bureaucracy. I talked with them on the past about all this paperwork and they told me: "The form must be faxed or mailed to Gandi. By French law, we are not allowed to accept these types of forms by email".
I agree with you, it's a nightmare...

Last edited:
•••
Its a Gandi only requirement. I sold a .io that was registered on Namecheap and the process was as easy as pushing .com to another NC account.

I think its that simple for .com at Gandi too, at least it seems to read so from their Wiki... but .io ? Either way the names are leaving Gandi.

•••
Is this still a problem with gandi.net because i have a .io name registered there.

•••
It would probably be a good idea to send Gandi a link to this thread so they see their policy in this regard might hurt their business.

•••
https://www.gandi.net/domain/io/info
Change of Ownership: requires Gandi's owner change form and accompanying proofs of ID. The expiration date remains unchanged

When I initiate Owner Change I get this: Please confirm the ownership change for the following domain(s):US$7.50

Glad you brought this up, I will simply transfer to Moniker - IO transfer = US$20, mine are good until 2017 Feb and FTR I have a Reseller Account at Gandi, in case that matters.

•••
It would probably be a good idea to send Gandi a link to this thread so they see their policy in this regard might hurt their business.

It already has with respect to me. I moved my names from them right after my horrible transfer experience which almost cost me that sale.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back