Dynadot

GAAP Accounting for High Value Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi Everyone

I wanted to share something with you guys regarding leasing then purchasing a high value domain. You might already know this but I think its a good thing to know and understand because I sure didn't.

I work for a company that had leased its domain name for 10 years then recently purchased it. We have been expensing the monthly payment for the domain name as an advertising expense. When we purchased the domain last month, I asked our CPA's if we could put the value of the domain on our books as an Asset. In my opinion the name is probably worth at least $1 million. Here is what the accountant said.

"I understand these domain names can be very valuable, unfortunately GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principals) usually doesn't allow you to record the actual "market" value of intangible assets above the cost you've incurred to paid for it.... I'm sure the "domain name" has a much higher market value than you actually paid to acquire it, but GAAP won't allow you to record that unrealized gain unfortunately."

"It's somewhat like accounting for real estate, such as a building. Even though you may have acquired the building, you are only allowed (for GAAP) to record the asset at the historical amount it cost you to acquire it, regardless of whether the market value increases."

"Since all of the amounts paid to acquire the ownership of the domain name has been written off as expense in prior years (i.e. similar to depreciation), it would not be appropriate to now, record the assets on the books."

So I hope this helps everyone understand a little bit of the accounting side of high price domains. I wish I owned such a domain but . . .some day eh!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How much did the co pay for the domain?

Actually both of you have missed the point, from my reading.:bah:

If co. leased it for x and then bought (paid cash NOT "market value appraisal") it for eg. $250,000 - then the $250,000 is recorded as the historical cost.
It is an entirely new separate transaction (as domain holder) from the prior lease (as lessee).
The co did not get the domain for free after making the stipulated no. of lease payments under some agreement ("amounts paid to acquire the ownership of the domain name has been written off as expense in prior years").

The asset recorded as $250,000 and amortized over not more than 20 yrs...etc

•••
Yes, thats what I was thinking when I explained it to our CPA. He wouldn't budge and considering he is one of the Partners in one of the top CPA firms in the country, I had to bow down and say "sure, fine whatever" (hehe).

BTW over 10 years we paid about $650,000.

•••
Can you clarify if there was a new agreement re: acquisition (=new transaction), or was there an option-to-buy clause in the leasing agreement (=linked transaction) eg ownership passes when some final baloon payment is paid?

The accounting treatment depends on this crucial point.

•••
Hey

Yes there was the option to pay at the end of the lease and we made one last $10k payment and the name was transferred to us.

•••
Thanks for clarifying..that there was no new agreement for the acq'n..

Then the partner has given the correct accounting treatment as all payments were part of the linked transctions under the lease agreement, in which case all lease payments would already have been expensed in the Income statement - so domain not recorded as asset in B/S.

All told, the co would have paid ~ net $400,000 after tax allowances on the total of "advertising" expenses, before inflation effects..
Sounds like a good acq'n going forward.. :sold:

•••
In case it helps, I found the following information very useful in regards to tax treatment for domains and also Web development costs:

Do you have a presence on the internet?
Rebecca Cave reviews the tax implications
TAXADVISER - May 2008 39
http://www.tax.org.uk/attach.pl/6801/7977/038-039_TA_0508.pdf

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/frab_290706_websitecosts.pdf

Here is also an insight into one very large company that derives income solely from domains and domain related traffic income:

DARK BLUE SEA LIMITED
www.darkbluesea.com
ACN 091 509 796
Company Announcement
Date: 4 August, 2008

http://newsstore.smh.com.au/apps/previewDocument.ac?docID=GCA00866716DBS

Hope it helps,

- Vince

•••
darknlight69 said:
Hey

Yes there was the option to pay at the end of the lease and we made one last $10k payment and the name was transferred to us.

There are 2 types of leases. Operating lease vs Finance lease.

From what you stated above, "there was the option to pay at the end of the lease and we made one last $10k payment and the name was transferred to us", this clearly makes it a Finance lease. Your CPA didn't look at the Agreement properly.

In a finance lease, the total cost of your domain is $650k. And so the $650k is recorded as an asset on your balance sheet in the very beginning when you made the very first installment, and then amortised over the years. Now, if you can prove that the domain's value doesn't (or didn't) diminish over the years, then perhaps you could argue that there isn't a need to amortise this 650k as expense.

Now, it is possible to reflect the current market value of a real estate bought 20 years ago. All that's required is to get a valuer to value the real estate. And based on the valuer's report, one can restate upwards (or downwards) the historical cost to the current market value. This is done by debiting the asset and crediting the revaluation reserve.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back