NameSilo

Free Forum Software?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey can someone tell me if there are any free forums out there? Are they hard to install? Dont know much about forums so any info is appreciated.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Try invision power board 1.3 i think its free also if your hosting has cpanel you can install it through fantastico for free and easily.

•••
•••
•••
get ipb v1.3.1 (final free ver)

if you want a copy search it on google or try seflipper.com he might have it there

•••
Another vote for phpBB...

•••
•••
I'll give ipb a try. Anyone have an idea how much space it will take up to run a forum like this? 100 mb?

Thanks

•••
With a forum like this you better be looking for a dedicated server. I have a forum with ipb 2.0.4 and it takes 200-250mb space. I got 250 members ;)

•••
So lets say i develope a website like namepros, no site but just a forum and get 50 members i would need at least 300mb right?

•••
phpbb nice, and easy to install, just not very safe. Better to pay for software and be secure. Or you will have to every weak update some files there.

•••
•••
well for free, http://www.simplemachines.org/ is very good, nice and secure compared to phpbb... But other than that phpbb is pretty good, lots of skins :D

•••
yea phpbb has lots of skins (300+ that are free)

•••
Mayur said:
With a forum like this you better be looking for a dedicated server. I have a forum with ipb 2.0.4 and it takes 200-250mb space. I got 250 members ;)

are you sure?, im using vB and the software takes up 8mb and the database of nearly 200 members takes up not much more than 8mb

•••
spy69 said:
Are they hard to install?
just follow the documentation. Installing a forum is very easy. ;)

•••
im using simplemachines.. nice forum..

•••
•••
If you dunno how to install php scripts though reading just the documentation, and do stuff like upload throuhg FTP, setup MySQL databases, CHMOD, etc, I would reccomend you get a hosting with cPanel/Fantastico, where you can install phpBB in just a few clicks...

•••
Mayur said:
i think you have installed way too much skins and attachments in your forums thats y your forum is taking so much space. My site is using 2.0.4 and hass 3000 members. My total size of forum is jst around 20mb. including database which is of 12mb. My suggesstion to you would be get ride of that attachment. they will strain your bandwidht unnecesarrily!

•••
•••
My advice is to look at SMF. I own both a vB and IPB license and IMHO they're just the same as SMF and phpBB. Certain features such as support may be better in some cases but it's not $80-$160 better.

•••
I would also reccomend SMF (simple machines)

•••
IPB and phbb are nice, however, i HIGHLY reccommend VB (even though it is not free).

•••
personally, i like SMF and phpbb but theres some spots that need improvement on them both;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back