IT.COM

Follow My 20 dollar to a Baller Challenge

NameSilo
Watch

Jelani Abdus-Salaam

puryr.comEstablished Member
Impact
So, before I start I wanted to say thanks to everyone in the community who have welcomed me.

I know I am young to the domain game, but everyday I learn something new and I have been reading blogs nonstop. I know that doesn't make me an expert by any means, but I like a challenge, so I decided to to partake in Ali's 20 dollar to a baller challenge. I thought it would be cool if I started a thread following my journey.

I intend to post the domains I buy, the domains I sell, and my thought process throughout the challenge. This will not only give myself insight by sharing, but also give the community a chance to offer their input so not only I grow as an investor but those who read can grow as well.

Each day I will try to post, kind of like a micro blog. So please give insight, and any information you believe will be beneficial!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Congrats on your sale.
I will follow how your challenge evolves.
Good luck !

•••
•••
wow, I'm definitely following this thread now :)

Great F***ing job man!

•••
•••
•••
That's great @Jelani Abdus-Salaam, I plan on doing the same but haven't decided on a first domain though.
Hope you reach the 5K goal!:D

•••
Don't forget to share your perils and pitfalls, and not just positive results.

If your keeping it honest, there will be quite a few.

•••
Just stopped in to say big congrats on your first sale and graduating from college...

Best of luck on your journey...

•••
Thanks for sharing @Jelani Abdus-Salaam !
Very helpful for a newbie like me.
Thanks, keep following. The next update which will be in a few weeks will have WAYYY more information from domain evaluation to other outbound techniques I've recently learned. Stay tuned :)

•••
Don't forget to share your perils and pitfalls, and not just positive results.

If your keeping it honest, there will be quite a few.
Of course, nothing is always peachy haha

•••
Just stopped in to say big congrats on your first sale and graduating from college...

Best of luck on your journey...
Thanks so much for the congratulations!

•••
Congrats man i remember selling my first handregged domain for 320$ the next day.Awesome feeling.

•••
So, before I start I wanted to say thanks to everyone in the community who have welcomed me.

I know I am young to the domain game, but everyday I learn something new and I have been reading blogs nonstop. I know that doesn't make me an expert by any means, but I like a challenge, so I decided to to partake in Ali's 20 dollar to a baller challenge. I thought it would be cool if I started a thread following my journey.

I intend to post the domains I buy, the domains I sell, and my thought process throughout the challenge. This will not only give myself insight by sharing, but also give the community a chance to offer their input so not only I grow as an investor but those who read can grow as well.

Each day I will try to post, kind of like a micro blog. So please give insight, and any information you believe will be beneficial!

Dude, welcome to NamePros and congrats for starting off by finding a great mentor!

Feel feel to reach out if you ever have any brandable or geo service questions. According to BB, I'm pretty bad at keyword domains, but I'm more than happy to help with the made up brandables or geo services if you decide to go that route.

Being a new domainer, there are two things I word like to leave you with:

(1) Listen with an open mind to everything you hear and learn through out your domaining career. Question it. And, then decide for yourself what type of domainer you want to be. I'm sure @Zandibot appreciates to some extent when even he is questioned, because it is additional data that may help his growth as a domainer. I've often wondered why @Zandibot does what he does, and relseases such valuable data for free, and I can only assume he's paying back the community for all he has learned in return. I'm sure he knows that he's releasing it to a lot of people who combine that data with their own skill sets, he runs the risk of the student becoming better then the teacher. This notion of hidden data is combated by domaining superhero's like @Zandibot who team up with other once student domainers, now domaining superhero's to combat those student who become villians by not sharing what they know.

(2) It will be a long run. You will think you've learned exactly how domaining works nearly every month. Every month spent on NamePros is another step investing in your knowledge and growth as a domainer. Sales = Succes, this is true, But Knowledge = Success too. I would try and stay away from made up brandable domains unless you can get them on coupon days if you're handregging. When it's not coupon day, only get domains you feel either won't be around much longer (if just dropped) or if you're dropcatching and/or buying expired domains. The best thing you could do to learn is follow the drop catching section of ExpiredDomains.net, and just watch at the type of domains that get dropcaught. They will not all be good, but they were good enough for some domainer to see if dropping, and say hey I'm going to prepurchase this domain before any other domainer can. If you're doing brandable's, keep an eye out for @Dnbolt, and the brandable domains they report sold from brandable marketplaces.

P.S. Welcome to NamePros x 2!

Last edited:
•••
now domaining superhero's to combat those student who become villains by not sharing what they know.
Really, villains? lol. Is every business that has a special formula for making money in their field a villain because they don't give away the lessons they've learned from years of experience? Besides, many things can't just be told to you. You have to figure them out through consistent practice, learning, and searching.
I definitely agree that people should share some of their knowledge so we can build off of each other's experiences..that's exactly why we are on a forum discussing things. But not everything needs to be shared, and people aren't villains to be defeated if they choose not to give away all the things they've spent time learning in a couple blog posts :xf.rolleyes: Plus, I kind of doubt people that have blogs like that are giving away very much..they're mostly consolidating the fundamentals so everyone doesn't fall in the same traps over and over again.
Maybe there isn't that much to give away in domaining anyway. You learn over time what makes a good domain, how to buy low and sell high, and what selling methods work best for you. What information are people going to be holding back? And if they do have some special method for making money (e.g. finding great domains using fine-tuned tools they created or using tools to analyze sales data), should they just give away the code or the results for free?
I might sound jealous or something saying this, but what are the chances someone can flip their way to $5k in 60 days on their first try? There are so many variables involved.. but good luck to anyone who follows all the steps to the letter anyway. People trash get rich quick schemes because they're bullshit, but turning 20 dollars into 5,000 in your first few months of domaining sounds completely doable, doesn't it? Maybe I'm just being too much of a downer and ought to try it myself though :)

•••
•••
I might sound jealous or something saying this, but what are the chances someone can flip their way to $5k in 60 days on their first try? There are so many variables involved.. but good luck to anyone who follows all the steps to the letter anyway. People trash get rich quick schemes because they're bullsh*t, but turning 20 dollars into 5,000 in your first few months of domaining sounds completely doable, doesn't it? Maybe I'm just being too much of a downer and ought to try it myself though :)

Nah, you don't sound jealous. It's totally reasonable to think that, why? Because it's incredibly hard, and no one, not even myself could follow it exactly to the tee. Because everything is about variables.

The idea is, however, that the process can work if you go about it correctly. Wether it's 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, or five years. For me it was mid xxx -> high x,xxx in 30 days as my "boost career" sale, for you it might be xx -> xxx,xxx in 120 days, for someone else it might be x -> xxx in 53 days. The point is, if you focus hard enough, and understand your goals, and learn how to valuate domain names properly, you can value invest/flip domains and continue increasing your bankroll.

But there is no get rich quick process, not even close. I worked myself into grey hairs and damn near burnt myself out to climb up the domaining mountain, and i'm still climbing this beast!

I share my thoughts, experiences and whatever else I feel like that day. Maybe someone will find something that works for them, maybe not. Maybe it will spark a lightbulb, or maybe not. Just the perspective of one guy in the industry.

Everything is about personal experience, especially in our line of work, but at the end of the day, the fundamentals are always the same: you make money on the buy.

Anyway, I'm going to tangent like 600 different directions if I don't stop here ;)

•••
Really, villains? lol. Is every business that has a special formula for making money in their field a villain because they don't give away the lessons they've learned from years of experience? Besides, many things can't just be told to you. You have to figure them out through consistent practice, learning, and searching.
I definitely agree that people should share some of their knowledge so we can build off of each other's experiences..that's exactly why we are on a forum discussing things. But not everything needs to be shared, and people aren't villains to be defeated if they choose not to give away all the things they've spent time learning in a couple blog posts :xf.rolleyes: Plus, I kind of doubt people that have blogs like that are giving away very much..they're mostly consolidating the fundamentals so everyone doesn't fall in the same traps over and over again.
Maybe there isn't that much to give away in domaining anyway. You learn over time what makes a good domain, how to buy low and sell high, and what selling methods work best for you. What information are people going to be holding back? And if they do have some special method for making money (e.g. finding great domains using fine-tuned tools they created or using tools to analyze sales data), should they just give away the code or the results for free?
I might sound jealous or something saying this, but what are the chances someone can flip their way to $5k in 60 days on their first try? There are so many variables involved.. but good luck to anyone who follows all the steps to the letter anyway. People trash get rich quick schemes because they're bullsh*t, but turning 20 dollars into 5,000 in your first few months of domaining sounds completely doable, doesn't it? Maybe I'm just being too much of a downer and ought to try it myself though :)

Nah, you don't sound jealous. It's totally reasonable to think that, why? Because it's incredibly hard, and no one, not even myself could follow it exactly to the tee. Because everything is about variables.

The idea is, however, that the process can work if you go about it correctly. Wether it's 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, or five years. For me it was mid xxx -> high x,xxx in 30 days as my "boost career" sale, for you it might be xx -> xxx,xxx in 120 days, for someone else it might be x -> xxx in 53 days. The point is, if you focus hard enough, and understand your goals, and learn how to valuate domain names properly, you can value invest/flip domains and continue increasing your bankroll.

But there is no get rich quick process, not even close. I worked myself into grey hairs and damn near burnt myself out to climb up the domaining mountain, and i'm still climbing this beast!

I share my thoughts, experiences and whatever else I feel like that day. Maybe someone will find something that works for them, maybe not. Maybe it will spark a lightbulb, or maybe not. Just the perspective of one guy in the industry.

Everything is about personal experience, especially in our line of work, but at the end of the day, the fundamentals are always the same: you make money on the buy.

Anyway, I'm going to tangent like 600 different directions if I don't stop here ;)

You both couldn't be more correct!

The fact that you're questioning what I'm saying makes me think twice, evaluate whats been said, and use it to become a better domainer. Villain is definitely harsh, I agree. Look, this is all coming from a guy who couldn't consciously work at a cell phone store, and sell phone chargers that cost the store $0.89 for $39.99 on the small island of Maui, where I knew several of my customers personally. The store eventually allowed me to discount the prices to locals, because they knew the margins were still good either way. Businesses, however, need to keep information like this private so customers understand it's the convenience and the packaging that is seling them the over priced product.

Thank you @jacoliobo for questioning what I was saying, evaluating, and formulating an opinion of your own. I really do appreciate it.

•••

Personally I like the domain challenge apart from the time constraint since it takes like 7-8 days for Godaddy to hand me Bargain Bin domains. So don't consider the time factor a hard and fast rule.

But apart from that, Domaining has a huge learning curve and I wish every darn day of my life that Ali wrote the baller challenge post a year ago because I would have saved a lot of money.

Today Jelani has $100 spare money that he made from domaining that he can invest rather than using his own. At least we know that first 3-4 steps work. :)

Last edited:
•••
Hi Jacob,

Just now seeing this. I don't think you are jealous at all lol. I thought it would be cool to follow the steps, I'm fresh out of college and have some time on my hands and I like a challenge. Yes, there are so many variables that make a sale, a sale. I am not claiming to be a pro but I wanted to hear different thoughts as I progress. These updates will be honest, so if I lose money I will say so. I have been with the community for a little over a month so I have A LOT to learn. However, I look at domaining as a business and with any business you have to learn your angle. That includes research, patience and a bit of luck, and I just happened to get lucky on my first domain buy and sale. I have done so much additional research since writing my update post and my steps going forward are WAY more detailed.

I think sharing knowledge is a beautiful thing as everyone has a different angle they approach and every result will not be the same.

I think I succeeded by getting some conversation out of this post haha ;)

•••
•••
•••
Dude, welcome to NamePros and congrats for starting off by finding a great mentor!

Feel feel to reach out if you ever have any brandable or geo service questions. According to BB, I'm pretty bad at keyword domains, but I'm more than happy to help with the made up brandables or geo services if you decide to go that route.

Being a new domainer, there are two things I word like to leave you with:

(1) Listen with an open mind to everything you hear and learn through out your domaining career. Question it. And, then decide for yourself what type of domainer you want to be. I'm sure @Zandibot appreciates to some extent when even he is questioned, because it is additional data that may help his growth as a domainer. I've often wondered why @Zandibot does what he does, and relseases such valuable data for free, and I can only assume he's paying back the community for all he has learned in return. I'm sure he knows that he's releasing it to a lot of people who combine that data with their own skill sets, he runs the risk of the student becoming better then the teacher. This notion of hidden data is combated by domaining superhero's like @Zandibot who team up with other once student domainers, now domaining superhero's to combat those student who become villians by not sharing what they know.

(2) It will be a long run. You will think you've learned exactly how domaining works nearly every month. Every month spent on NamePros is another step investing in your knowledge and growth as a domainer. Sales = Succes, this is true, But Knowledge = Success too. I would try and stay away from made up brandable domains unless you can get them on coupon days if you're handregging. When it's not coupon day, only get domains you feel either won't be around much longer (if just dropped) or if you're dropcatching and/or buying expired domains. The best thing you could do to learn is follow the drop catching section of ExpiredDomains.net, and just watch at the type of domains that get dropcaught. They will not all be good, but they were good enough for some domainer to see if dropping, and say hey I'm going to prepurchase this domain before any other domainer can. If you're doing brandable's, keep an eye out for @Dnbolt, and the brandable domains they report sold from brandable marketplaces.

P.S. Welcome to NamePros x 2!
Thank you for the welcome and insight!!

•••
Personally I like the domain challenge apart from the time constraint since it takes like 7-8 days for Godaddy to hand me Bargain Bin domains. So don't consider the time factor a hard and fast rule.

But apart from that, Domaining has a huge learning curve and I wish every darn day of my life that Ali wrote the baller challenge post a year ago because I would have saved a lot of money.

Today Jelani has $100 spare money that he made from domaining that he can invest rather than using his own. At least we know that first 3-4 steps work. :)
Very hard and fast, researched three different domains that would make a good buy and sold way more than I was willing to spend (over 100) so its deff hard to find a name worth investing in, thats for sure.

•••
Very hard and fast, researched three different domains that would make a good buy and sold way more than I was willing to spend (over 100) so its deff hard to find a name worth investing in, thats for sure.
You don't have to spend all 100. Maybe spend 50 - 60 bucks and see where it takes you. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back