IT.COM

FOG is the new CLOUD.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Has anyone been reading up on Fog Computing recently? Cisco have brought it to the table to aid the Internet of Things (again).

Anyway, don't know much about it and it's yet another new buzz word to appear this year but I'm starting to get 'registration fatigue' ;) so feel free to look it up and see what's available, although I was surprised at how many FOG related domains have already gone. My two are:

FogServers.com

Fog360.com

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What do u mean by aftermarket?

•••
What do u mean by aftermarket?

hes asking if you bought them from someone else but a quick whois check shows you just regged them, surprised a few of those were still available good job.

•••
This fog tech has been spoken about for a while now and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere

A lot of the articles I am reading are just older ones being repeated

I did grab on though, just in case

FogSolution.com

•••
This fog tech has been spoken about for a while now and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere

A lot of the articles I am reading are just older ones being repeated

I did grab on though, just in case

FogSolution.com

Sad but true.
Little or no interest about fog computing related names...

Maybe it will be "as good" investment as intercloud names...

•••
yeah, when cloud started, the articles came through thick and fast and many small and large companies were talking about it and there were 100's of new articles about it all the time

The fog thing doesn't have the same buzz

If you do a google alert for intercloud, it seems to be a better option, especially Cisco onboard, and read about their project with Deutsche bank

http://www.wallstreet-online.de/nac...rcloud-with-250-new-data-centers-50-countries

http://www.datacenterdynamics.com/i...-to-its-largest-data-center/89741.fullarticle

http://www.networkworld.com/article...re-examining-cisco-s-intercloud-strategy.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/cloud-systems-management/intercloud-fabric/index.html

http://www.networkworld.com/article...o-pumping-1-billion-more-into-intercloud.html

•••
I saw them, but it will be a slower process than the cloud madness. I just checked your intercloud dot de @ sedo. 0 bid... :(
how will i sell my intercloudfabric dot de (and system(s),hosting, computing, and so on...)? :(

•••
Ive had 3 offers via email on it but I can only assume thats one of you lot low-balling me because of Intercloud being in the news

You wont get end-user offers on Intercloud names now, the main announcement by Cisco was only last week, have to be patient like we were with cloud names and they paid off well

how will i sell my intercloudfabric dot de (and system(s),hosting, computing, and so on...

Not sure, but my cloud names with the same keywords sold well, not sure if Fog will be the same though

•••
I don't think the word fog is as attractive as the word cloud however I bet if apple bought iFog then fog domains would start selling

•••
Take easy. Fog domains time will come.

•••
im not saying they wont i believe that it will it will just take some time

•••
Every niche has its naysayers.... Seems this one has more than most :D

•••

The tech is already happening, but it does not have to be called fog and even then it does not have to lead to people using fog domains - they could talk about edge, local, iot - do we have an iot thread?

Actually there are plenty of fog products already - fog lights, fog machines for special effects and so on. Fogweed.com is free and so is cannafog.com but somebody took 420fog.com already - what product is that for?

•••
•••
I checked to see if fog folder was available yesterday I was going to pick it up but it wasn't availible
i picked up one more
FogReader .com

•••
I checked to see if fog folder was available yesterday I was going to pick it up but it wasn't availible
i picked up one more
FogReader .com
I got it from godaddy closeouts ;)

•••
•••
Actually there are plenty of fog products already - fog lights, fog machines for special effects and so on. Fogweed.com is free and so is cannafog.com but somebody took 420fog.com already - what product is that for?

Yeah, there are plenty of products, but I guess this is really relating to Fog Computing, so names like FogServer, FogStorage, FogNetwork etc are not really relevant to those industries

•••
I don't understand why everyone thinks fog can be compared to cloud.

From some little research I did on the subject I think fog has to do with localised network storage rather than wide network storage (like cloud).

In effect, with fog we'll be using our local (faster) network to access data that could be otherwise very slow to access via cloud. You can think of it something like the 'middle-man' between the cloud and our home network, a network kind of cache area.

at least that's my understanding of it and since I'm not a technical man I could very easily be wrong

Last edited:
•••
fogfogfogfog.com
available to reg right now.

•••
at least that's my understanding of it and since I'm not a technical man I could very easily be wrong

I've done been doing quite a bit of research and am currently in the Fog Networks and the IOT MOOC on Coursera, it is almost exactly how you described it. Most of the domains you've seen in this thread have little or nothing to do with fog computing which is what we usually see in almost every hype thread. There is almost no point telling people their domains make no sense anymore.

Fog would be where/when hot data is stored/created by sensors to be used immediately by different types of actuators (automotive, healthcare, etc) that cant afford to have even the few second delay it could take to dig through ALL of the data that would be in a cloud storage environment a bit harder to access (and which would most likely be 2% hot data and 98% cold data). I don't claim to be a fog expert though I'm just a domainer like most of us.

I will say though some of the major keywords do actually translate from cloud to fog quite well in my opinion, BUT have been taken for a while now already.

•••
Thanks for verifying my thoughts JayJay

so far (and due to my lack of fog knowledge) I only have regged FogStorage / eu (just in case it becomes a big thing in EU) and MarketingFog / com (only because there is a live MarketingCloud site)

not the best of names but they were the only ones I thought they fitted
This tech definitely has promise, although it will disappear overnight if a new network tech appears that can eliminate latency and has ultra high speed

as with all tech domains, we'll wait and see how it evolves

•••
I don't understand why everyone thinks fog can be compared to cloud.

From some little research I did on the subject I think fog has to do with localised network storage rather than wide network storage (like cloud).

In effect, with fog we'll be using our local (faster) network to access data that could be otherwise very slow to access via cloud. You can think of it something like the 'middle-man' between the cloud and our home network, a network kind of cache area.

Idk too much about tech but. Cisco and Wsj says it will bigger than cloud and I'm willing to bet my 16 bucks on my 8 fog domains that it may become big. Who knew cloud would become what it is today I definitely think it's worth buying into.

•••
as with all tech domains, we'll wait and see how it evolves

Exactly, though from what I've seen even recently I'm pretty sure it will remain the term for this type of computing. There has been news recently and there are plenty of companies attending the upcoming Fog Computing Expo other than Cisco, as there were many companies at the previous one in Nov 2014 (Broadcom, Accenture, IBM, Salesforce, etc.)

•••
•••
I always thought that unlike nice fluffy clouds, that fog had a little bit of a negative connotation since it's gloomy. Like smog.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back