Dynadot

First timer - How important is KW search number before deciding to reg a domain?

NameSilo
Watch

rvo

Established Member
Impact
Hello!
First of all, I'm new both at this forum and the domain name world, so please forgive me if this question has been already been asked.

My first doubt about it is this.
How important is having a keyword with a high search volume as the domain URL?
I have a few non english single keywords that are in the +100k per month range, some more than 1MM

All the .com are taken though, but there's lots of .co, .io, etc still left.

For example: pelotas. That's "Balls" in Spanish".

Would you buy Pelotas.io,co,cc,xyz,etc only because it has lots of searches?

Another question:
What if Pelotas.com,net,org are all taken but Pelot.as is available? Will it still be valuable when using a domain "hack"?

Thanks in advance!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Search volume gives a sense of commercial value but keep in mind a sporting goods store which sells soccer balls probably also sells camisetas and zapatos as well. I actually had a difficult time selling ZonaFutbol.com even when reaching out to websites and businesses with that keyword phrase in their domain or Facebook profile. I sold way too cheap but Spanish domains are not easy to sell - particularly if they are not .COM. The few Spanish .Nets I have sold are generally low $XXX sales which don't cover the renewal cost of the many .Nets I don't sell. Stick with .COM even though you will have to focus on drops and cheap aftermarket sales (don't waste your time looking for high-search volume .COM domains in almost 2016 . They were taken fifteen years ago but end users are not buying Spanish aftermarket domains in other TLDs (occasional exception would be .ES but those are an administrative pain in the ___ to deal with - submit a photo ID plus other paperwork to register a domain name).

•••
Welcome to domaining! =-D

First of all .coms will hold the most value and for those you should stick to 2 word .com if you have a 1 word one that's awesome. Having a lot of searches is important but it is not the only factor to look at. Make sure there are related websites to your domain using the same keyword within their domain. You can use Zfbot.com to give you a list of similar sites. You also want to make sure there are some advertisers for this domain you can check out how many by putting the keyword over at Spyfu.com.

When it comes to other extensions there is value in one word .net. info. org but as for the other extensions I am not sure very tricky. A good way to find out how the market is for these extensions though is to go over NameBio.com and see how often the extensions you are looking to get sell.

There is a ton of valuable information on the forum about this topic just search it out.

- Will

•••
Thanks a lot garptrader and Willox Perez!
That's some solid info right there!

•••
How important is having a keyword with a high search volume as the domain URL?
I have a few non english single keywords that are in the +100k per month range, some more than 1MM

All the .com are taken though, but there's lots of .co, .io, etc still left.

If this makes sense at all, it's important to have a search volume but it can also not be important. It all depends on what it is. Some phrases will have very little search volume but you will see they get tons of bids at auctions. Why is this the case? Because whats most important is that the domain name should make BUSINESS sense for a person/company.

Non English words can do well but if you are going to go that route I would stick to the major extensions. Not the thousands of GTLD's coming out.

So don't get too caught up with search volume because there are a lot of domains (.com domains) that are still left unregistered that have thousands of exact match searches per month but they make no sense for a person/business to own.

-Omar

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back