IT.COM

domains First New gTLD's that launched seeing only 55% renewals

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The first new gTLD to go live is seeing its first-year renewals at 55% one year after hitting general availability.

dotShabaka Registry’s شبكة. (or “.shabaka”, the Arabic for “.web”) has also seen its zone file shrink by about 27% over the last two weeks.

The zone peaked at 2,069 domains on February 1, 2015, but today stands at 1,521. Exactly one year ago, it was at 1,561 names.

The zone is smaller today than it was just two weeks after GA began, in other words.
شبكة. has its own set of issues and is probably not the best test case for new gTLDs in general.

That’s going to come soon. Donuts’ first batch of gTLDs — .guru, .bike, .holdings, .plumbing, .singles, .ventures and .clothing — had their base-price GA anniversary on February 4, and it appears that domains have already started to drop.
Donuts executives have said they expect first-year renewals to be strong, but we’ve got a few weeks left before anyone will be in a position to know for sure.
Full article: http://domainincite.com/18004-renewals-at-55-as-first-new-gtld-junk-drop-begins

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm going to leave hopes open for new gTLD's speculators by just stating that this is a specific, geo, language and IDN string.

In order for it, and others to thrive, local businesses have to be persuaded and to embrace the change. I just don't see it.

I have quite a few .geo domains (guess :P), and I will sell them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back